Why is diet pop "so bad"??

Replies

• Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    I know that the aspartame in diet pop is bad, but is that the only reason that diet pop is so bad? I love Diet Coke with Splenda (which replaces the aspartame). What's the big deal about not drinking diet pop?

(:

The sodium in it isn't good either.......

The only diet soda I know that doesn't have sodium in it is Diet Rite Cola. I stopped drinking diet soda almost 4 years ago and don't miss it at all. I only drink water or occassionally an unsweetened iced tea.
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    I heard that aspartame increases your desire for sweets.
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    sodium, sweeteners, caffeine. You need to drink twice as much water to offset what it does to your body. And you can't count that water in your water log
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    There's a saying that the only difference between toxicology (the study of poisons) and pharmacology (the study of medicines)- is the dose. How much diet pop/aspartame/splenda/_____ is bad for you? It depends. Some people have sensitivities and get migraines from artificial sweeteners for example, other people have a hard time absorbing calcium and caffeine/pop is not always a healthy choice. I think that if you decide to drink a pop a day you're probably going to be fine. I don't know what evidence is out there to show that artificial sweeteners accumulate in your system (build and build until they become toxic)- but I haven't seen any evidence pointing to that for recent sweeteners (splenda, equal, etc)
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    I dont think there is anything wrong with it
  • TonyaJ83
    TonyaJ83 Posts: 155
    Splenda is also very bad for you. Soda is awful.
    If I my Great Grandma wouldn't know an ingredient, I don't eat it.
    I drink water that's been charcoal filtered in my fridge.
    I live by the book Skinny B!tch except I allowed coffee back into my life..........
    http://www.womentowomen.com/healthyweight/splenda.aspx
  • FearAnLoathing
    we all got to go sometime,lol my great grandma drank 6 to 7 diet sodas a day from the day they hit the market till the day she died at 104.
    It has never been without a doubt linked to all the things it supposedly causes,like ciggaretts so far its all It MIGHT do this

heres what cancer.org has to say about it
    http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/CancerCauses/OtherCarcinogens/AtHome/aspartame

I will continue to drink it,everyone in my family has.no one has died or suffered from any of the things it supposedly causes so im not worried:drinker:
  • jackal75
    jackal75 Posts: 95
    WELL SAID also.. aspartame is addictive and also has properties that sabotage weight loss... so they keep you hooked and drinking the "DIET" stuff that does NOTHING to help you lose and just makes you sick in the long run.. of course the argument that in small quantities it wont do anything but.. it is in everything.. and who does eat or drink anything in small quantities.. like you maybe have a diet soda once a month.. then fine.. but who does that.. and dont get me started on splenda... THAT is another poison!! do some real research and dont just take for granted what "THEY" tell you.. because they lie.. the bottom line for them is the dollar NOT your health! go back to basics and if it does not come from nature.. DONT drink it.. stick to water and teas.. make home made iced tea so you have a nice drink with some antioxidants.. anything processed will have chemicals.. and yess. it is hard to not have them all day long but if you are conscious bout what you eat and drink you can seriously lower your intake.. stay on top of it.. it is YOUR body.. and the only one to care for it is you... Stevia is a very good form of natural sweetener.. i also use honey or agave nectar.. there are plenty of alternatives.. we just have to take the time to make the changes and imput them into our lives..

Nothing, natural or man-made, is 100% good for you. Even natural foods have to be moderated. A varied diiet is best. Apples are healthy, but you can eat a lot of them and get too much of that type of sugar as well as the vitamins they contain. However, what of the vitamins that are not in that apple or at least a negligable quantity? It does no good to overload on vitamins "x" and "y", but be totally deficient in vitamin "z.".

That said, to say that diet soda does NOTHING for losing weight is misleading. If you believe that drinking 44oz big gulps of the stuff will make you lose weight, then have your head examined. If you are just having a soda because you want something besides water, then it is fine. Diet soda in moderation gives you a sweet beverage without the calories of a regular soda. If this site teaches you anything, it's that lowering net calories are king for losing weight. Caffeine in moderation is also okay. It is a stimulant that can assist your metabolism. Carbonation doesn't really have any redeeming qualities, so if you want to pick on something in soda, pick that one.

I will tell you that I drink a little more diet soda than I should, but not in gallons like some folks. I have lost over 70lbs in a year. You aren't convincing me the diet soda held me back...sorry. I'm not putting on my tin-foil hat for that nonsense.
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    well as long as you understand that when the temperature of Aspartame exceeds 86 degrees F, the wood alcohol in ASPARTAME coverts to formaldehyde and then to formic acid, which in turn causes metabolic acidosis. (Formic acid is the poison found in the sting of fire ants). and maybe when it was served to you it was cold, but who is to say how long it sat in a HOT truck transporting across the nation and already chemically changed before you got your nice cold beverage.

Formaldehyde is grouped in the same class of dmgs as cyanide and arsenic- DEADLY POISONS!!! Unfortunately, it just takes longer to quietly kill, but it is killing people and causing all kinds of neurological problems.> Aspartame changes the brain's chemistry. It is the reason for severe seizures. This drug changes the dopamine level in the brain. Imagine what this drug does to patients suffering from Parkinson's Disease. This drug also causes Birth Defects.

just sayin.....
    do ya still want to drink it?

Find me a peer-reviewed articile about the effects of aspartame on brain chemistry and seizures. I have epilepsy and am an epilepsy advocate and have never come across that information, either in study or by a doctor. Also, please don't say it is "the" cause for severe seizures since seizures are in and of themselves a mis-fire of neurons in the brain and can be caused by a tumor, dehydration, over-hydration, heat exhaustion, stress, and any number of things. Also, a startling number of seizures happen for no apparent cause (about 60% of newly diagnosed epilepsy cases.) Also, I highly doubt that the amount of the chemicals you are talking about in diet soda can contribute to birth defects. If a pregnant woman lived by a sucralose factory and had contaminated water- perhaps, but neurological birth defects can be pinpointed to a lack of folic acid in the mother's diet or to other pre-natal contaminations in much higher doses than a can or two of soda.

Ugh. If you're going to make these types of claims, than you better put some substantial evidence here to back it up or at least sound like a literate human being. I am not saying diet soda and artificial sweeteners are "healthy" for you and they may and do cause problems in people with sensitivities, but it is the dose, the amount, you put in your body and the amount that stays in your body over time that matters. A soda, regular or diet, once in awhile isn't going to make you grow an extra limb.
  • allisoncook87
    allisoncook87 Posts: 160 Member
    Also Artificial sweeteners make your body think you're going to get sugar but then it doesn't
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    If someone can quote a scientific source, please post it.

I love Coke One but just quit drinking it. My girlfriend drinks Diet Coke so if there's something wrong with that, I'd like to bring it to her attention.

Thanks.
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    :devil: It has corn syrup in it, which is what they use to feed chickens that are sold as meat - it fattens them up!
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Carbonation breaks down calcium in the body, and caffeine basically makes you pee out calcium, so the combination of carbonation and caffeine can lead to tooth decay and eventually osteoporosis. Carbonation also increases the absorption of alcohol in your bloodstream, FYI.

Increase your dietary calcium and it shouldn't be a problem.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    I have read every single post and response here. I have fully weighed all the evidence presented. Now I'm going out to my garage (it's cold out there) to get a Pepsi Max.

... For the person who said something along the lines of "only eat what God and Nature makes"... God made some Hemlock just for you.
  • Noctuary
    Noctuary Posts: 255
    And by the way, Sucralose (Splenda) is just as bad if not worse than aspartame.

TRUE TRUE TRUE>> they fill us with poisons and we blindly accept because we TRUST! open the eyes.. and do the research..
    simply.. keep it simple.. did God make it? did it come from nature? that is what i try to stick to...
    What does God have to do with this?
    God makes a lot of things that aren't good for you to ingest.
  • FearAnLoathing
    I have read every single post and response here. I have fully weighed all the evidence presented. Now I'm going out to my garage (it's cold out there) to get a Pepsi Max.

... For the person who said something along the lines of "only eat what God and Nature makes"... God made some Hemlock just for you.

:laugh: :laugh: you made me spit water all over my key board
  • Shadowcasting
    Shadowcasting Posts: 124 Member
    Two words: Junk "science"

The vast majority of stuff being posted are just things that people "heard" and are repeating, but there isn't any scientific (real scientific, not just something some guy posted on a website) evidence for most of these claims.
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Mm hemlock.

Diet soda does NOT contain corn syrup, whoever said that. That is why it is diet!!

High amounts of aspartame caused seizures in goats, but really, you have to be drinking a lot. As in, probably more than you could get from a diet drink. As always, everything in moderation.

And water is better.

Because you burn calories drinking it - nothing to absorb!

Sodium sucks, caffeine sucks, carbonation sucks, for the reasons already stated.
  • MTLumps
    MTLumps Posts: 82 Member
    well as long as you understand that when the temperature of Aspartame exceeds 86 degrees F, the wood alcohol in ASPARTAME coverts to formaldehyde and then to formic acid, which in turn causes metabolic acidosis. (Formic acid is the poison found in the sting of fire ants). and maybe when it was served to you it was cold, but who is to say how long it sat in a HOT truck transporting across the nation and already chemically changed before you got your nice cold beverage.

Formaldehyde is grouped in the same class of dmgs as cyanide and arsenic- DEADLY POISONS!!! Unfortunately, it just takes longer to quietly kill, but it is killing people and causing all kinds of neurological problems.> Aspartame changes the brain's chemistry. It is the reason for severe seizures. This drug changes the dopamine level in the brain. Imagine what this drug does to patients suffering from Parkinson's Disease. This drug also causes Birth Defects.

just sayin.....
    do ya still want to drink it?

Nope. Thanks for saying it in a way that sticks. Ewww... :frown: :embarassed: :frown:
  • Shadowcasting
    Shadowcasting Posts: 124 Member
    Carbonation breaks down calcium in the body, and caffeine basically makes you pee out calcium, so the combination of carbonation and caffeine can lead to tooth decay and eventually osteoporosis. Carbonation also increases the absorption of alcohol in your bloodstream, FYI.

This recently published peer-reviewed scientific study directly contradicts your claim, btw.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21372000 (this is the abstract. If your employer or school has access you can read the entire paper through the link on the upper right).
This discussion has been closed.