Vitamin Water Controversy

Options
My family and co-workers have discouraged me from touching this product. My boss made a comment that it was #2 on a top five list for worst beverages on the market right now. Judging by the sugar I've seen on the nutrition label, I'm not too surprised should this be true.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• overthehillsandfaraway
    Options
    My family and co-workers have discouraged me from touching this product. My boss made a comment that it was #2 on a top five list for worst beverages on the market right now. Judging by the sugar I've seen on the nutrition label, I'm not too surprised should this be true.

Any thoughts?
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    i've heard it's not as healthy as the name claims that's for sure.
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Water is my friend, I will stick with that!
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Yeah, to me it just seems to defeat the purpose of water. I would rather drink regular old water and take a multi-vitamin! To me, any water that has a lot of sugar is a total waste of calories. Put lemon or something else in the water if you don't like it plain, but save those calories for something ELSE!! :wink:
  • time2wrk
    Options
    Plus, I even worry about the "diet" flavored drinks. I think people tend to go overboard and drink many a day. I know the FDA says the sweeteners are safe, blah, blah, blah. I just think I'd rather have something pure to flush me out than chemicals. Once in a while I enjoy a diet pop, but my husband worries me with the amount of diet soda he drinks. Only time will tell, I guess.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I get no less than 72 ounces of water a day, usually more. I have been doing this since September. When I wake up in the morning, I drink a cup that holds 24 ounces of water to sort of earn my coffee. My goal is to get a least 2 more of these 24 ounce cups in and most days I get a lot more. The only other things I drink are the one mug of coffee in the morning and lately, I have been drinking more green tea and every once in awhile I will have a diet Dr. Pepper, but not often. I am at the point that I crave my water and if I don't get it, my body let's me know. In fact, if you are feeling tired and run down, instead of grabbing an energy drink or coffee or even Vitamin Water...just get a big glass of regulr water and drink it all down. You will be amazed at how much better you start to feel almost immediately.
  • shkaki
    shkaki Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    i just dont understand how they can get by with calling it water! if it has additives and calories and sugar, then its not water. Its JUICE!! That has always bugged me since it came out! I'd stay away from the stuff. Those little bottles have as much kcal and sugar as soda and juice!
  • time2wrk
    Options
    I get no less than 72 ounces of water a day, usually more. I have been doing this since September. When I wake up in the morning, I drink a cup that holds 24 ounces of water to sort of earn my coffee. My goal is to get a least 2 more of these 24 ounce cups in and most days I get a lot more. The only other things I drink are the one mug of coffee in the morning and lately, I have been drinking more green tea and every once in awhile I will have a diet Dr. Pepper, but not often. I am at the point that I crave my water and if I don't get it, my body let's me know. In fact, if you are feeling tired and run down, instead of grabbing an energy drink or coffee or even Vitamin Water...just get a big glass of regulr water and drink it all down. You will be amazed at how much better you start to feel almost immediately.

OMG I would be in the bathroom all morning!!! :laugh:
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options

I so need to be like you. I struggle getting water in, I know I need to I just forget to drink.
  • time2wrk
    Options
    When I work out, I drink plenty of water. I think you are supposed to get MORE when you work out a lot though. (I seem to recall reading 8 ounces for every 20 minutes you work out.)
  • Lexino
    Lexino Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Stay away from Vitamin Water!! One 24oz bottle has 150 calories and like 39 grams of sugar!! Bad stuff, I think it's horrible how people drink it all day long thinking they are doing something good for their bodies. Drink water and pop a multi vitamin! :happy:
  • overthehillsandfaraway
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I work next to a Movie Gallery so when I stop in there for something to drink, I picked up a Vitamin Water. Not three sips before my boss catches me and tells me to drink regular water instead. I threw the sugary filled blasphemy but just wondered why this product is so popular nowadays.
  • time2wrk
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I work next to a Movie Gallery so when I stop in there for something to drink, I picked up a Vitamin Water. Not three sips before my boss catches me and tells me to drink regular water instead. I threw the sugary filled blasphemy but just wondered why this product is so popular nowadays.

Um, marketing, marketing, marketing. And people don't take the time to read the labels, so the title suggests that it's a healthy product and people fall for it.
  • overthehillsandfaraway
    Options
    I honestly did just pick it up in a flash but didn't drink a substantial amount. For one, it tasted really sweeter than usual and it wasn't that great tasting.