Counting vegetables

Options
Hi there,

I am new to this site, but I was wondering do you include calories from vegetables in your daily allocation? I am confused as I have heard that the amount of energy it takes to eat vegetables is more than what is contained in them. But is this part of the BMR calculaton anyway?

It's not really a big deal but it is bugging me!

Cheers,

MJ :smile:

Replies

• maggiej1
    maggiej1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I am new to this site, but I was wondering do you include calories from vegetables in your daily allocation? I am confused as I have heard that the amount of energy it takes to eat vegetables is more than what is contained in them. But is this part of the BMR calculaton anyway?

It's not really a big deal but it is bugging me!

Cheers,

MJ :smile:
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I personally add them.
    My mom said, "Vegetables are 'free' foods"
    I don't believe there is any such thing. So, I add them cause even veggies and fruits have calories, even if it's few.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Yes, count vegis! Some of them are high in carbs and sodium, so you need to take them into account.
  • tanzmamma
    tanzmamma Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    If it passes my lip I count it... veggies, fruits, everything.
  • StrawberryMargarita
    Options
    They have other good values to like fiber so you need to count them.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Definitely count them. You would be surprised at how many calories are in certain things like peas. etc. If you eat a lot of vegetables during the day and don't count them, you could be getting 100-200 additional calories without realizing it.
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Definitely count them. You would be surprised at how many calories are in certain things like peas. etc. If you eat a lot of vegetables during the day and don't count them, you could be getting 100-200 additional calories without realizing it.

ditto! All veggies are not created equal. Celery doesn't =potatoes or peas! LOL
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options

ditto! All veggies are not created equal. Celery doesn't =potatoes or peas! LOL
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I kinda agree that vegetables are "free foods" but I always log them anyway. There's a huge difference between going over your daily calories because of fruits or vegetables or because of ice cream and cookies...and of course I think the first is much better...but I am amazed when I see how many calories and sodium some vegetables have, and if I get in the habit of not logging my veggies, I can easily see myself forgetting to count the margarine and salt I put on them...I count everything down to the Benefiber I add to my water to make sure I am 100% accountable for everything that I eat.