oil vs unsweetened applesauce?

Options
2»

Replies

• ♥AngelKisses♥
    Options
    I thought the brownies were DELICIOUS but the FAT was REALLY high. My family didn't like (as someone mentioned previously) that they turned out more cake like. I'm definately going to play around with some different brownie/cakes. I also want to try the diet soda cake... thanks for reminding me...
  • Eskie13
    Eskie13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Taste of Home states that for every 1/2 cup of oil you substitute with applesauce you reduce the calories by 900 and fat by 110 grams. That is a lot of fat and calories you can save!!
    I just made the Ghirardelli Triple Fudge brownies and substituted 1:1 applesauce for oil, and they were wonderful! My company couldn't tell the difference. By calculation, that saves 450 calories for the box (16 servings) and supposedly 55 grams of fat.
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I've done Applesauce in boxed cake, it's fine.

I've done Yogurt in brownies, it's fine, too. So, if you're OK with dairy that's an option to try out, too. There is a commercial brownie mix for yogurt (No Pudge) but there are lots of recipes for DIY homemade ones with yogurt, too.

All that said, there are somethings I just wouldn't substitute anything in for the fat and just use it. Like cookies. I think cookies should only have butter. End of story!
  • missionquestthing
    missionquestthing Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I replaced most of the butter with applesauce in chocolate chip cookies and it worked great. I used 1/4 cup butter to cream with the sugar and then added 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce and they were yummy! best cookies ive ever made. I also subbed the eggs for greek yogurt.