Anyone had trouble with acid reflux?

Options
2»

Replies

• deboraht1000
    deboraht1000 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I have suffered on and off for years. One bout was due to an infection and duldeum ulcers another with back pain was due to gallstones. If you are in serious back pain it could be gallstones. You can buy ranitidiene tablets from the chemist/supermarket (sainsburys & tesco for certain) you take one a day and they are 100 times better than gaviscon or rennies, you take one a day and they are brilliant.
    I would wish acid reflux on my worst enemy!
  • shakemybooty
    shakemybooty Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    My son has had acid reflux his entire life. As someone else said-propping up the head of his bed made a huge difference for him at night. Based on other responses it seems that different foods effect everyone differently. My son has trouble with apples, anything with tomato sauce and peppermint. I think you just have to pay close attention to what you are eating to see what's causing you the most discomfort.

Two of my kids took prevacid and they were night and day different kids. I LOVE prevacid.

What is prevacid?

I have been watching what i eat for so long with the IBS and thought that i had it under control. having all the stuff that ic ouldnt in moderation, and keeping off the stuff that upset me. this just seemed a blast out of no where, i had had an orange a few days before so god knows where this came from.

It was a prescribed antacid. You can get it over the counter now too.
  • adhillman01
    adhillman01 Posts: 206
    Options
    Prevacid is the brand name for lansoprazole. It is in the same class of drugs as omeprazole (Prilosec). They are both proton pump inhibitors (PPI). They are great medications but can take up to 3 days to work. But once they kick in if you continue to take them regularly they should prevent your heart burn. The work by stopping your stomach from producing so much acid. Go to the pharmacy and ask the pharmacist if you can take Zantac (ranitidine) until your omeprazole kicks in. It works a little better than antacids like Tums or Gaviscon, but I'm not sure if you can take both at the same time.
  • PinkAndSparkle
    Options
    I had HORRIBLE reflux earlier this week--so bad I could actually feel my esophagus spasm. I take prevacid when it's really bad, but try not to take it all the time. There have been recent studies about the negative side effects of taking PPIs for extended periods. Zantac helps also--take 300 mg.
    Good luck! Eat some rice.
  • estelle74uk
    estelle74uk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody for your replies and advice. I think the tablets are starting to work so fingers crossed im starting to get better.

xxx
  • ZoePie
    ZoePie Posts: 1
    Options
    I've suffered with it for years and have since been diagnosed with Barretts Esophagus. The docs have tried to give me tablets but if you start taking stuff given by the doctor it will only cause problems else where in your body.
    After reading loads to find natural remadies, the best I've found it to take Aloe vera juice twice a day and to juice raw red potatoes. I ususaly mix them in with carrots and ginger. But it works a treat. Hope it works for you x
  • estelle74uk
    estelle74uk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I've suffered with it for years and have since been diagnosed with Barretts Esophagus. The docs have tried to give me tablets but if you start taking stuff given by the doctor it will only cause problems else where in your body.
    After reading loads to find natural remadies, the best I've found it to take Aloe vera juice twice a day and to juice raw red potatoes. I ususaly mix them in with carrots and ginger. But it works a treat. Hope it works for you x

Am I to be worried about the tablets im taking then?