I need help on healthy recipies!

Options
I'm starting a diet and and I'm trying to lose 75lbs. when it comes down to buying healthy food i can do that, but when it comes to cooking healthy, I have a problem! I'm good at cooking anything fried and fattening, but not healthy! does anybody have any great recipies to share?

Replies

• Ljamerson
    Options
    I'm starting a diet and and I'm trying to lose 75lbs. when it comes down to buying healthy food i can do that, but when it comes to cooking healthy, I have a problem! I'm good at cooking anything fried and fattening, but not healthy! does anybody have any great recipies to share?
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,787 Member
    Options
    Try looking at the recipes topic, though they aren't always as healthy as they could be, in my, oh, so humble, opinion.

Eating well magazine has a bunch on their site as well.

What do you like? I'm sure I know of something.
  • MandatoryFun
    MandatoryFun Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love using recipezaar.com. It is a search engine for all user submitted recipes. So you can find low cal, low fat, high protein, and just plain healthy food by using the categories tab. Most of the functions you need come with the free membership. I think it only costs like $25 to join and get a few perks, but I've been using my free membership for a few years and have never had any problems.

Favorite part: they will compile a gorcery list for you so you can just print it out and go to the store.

Good luck!!! I know its hard getting started, but it gets WAY easier later.
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    First Welcome to a health new you :flowerforyou:
    Now for the answer to your question. IN A WAY, and then some.
    1) Increase your fruit and veggies, So, for each meal you make sure that you have at least one to two servings of Fruit and Veggies with it.
    2) Pam is you friend! You are used to frying food, so this will not be too much different taste.
    3) For any bake goods that you make, use applesauce instead of oil. ounce to ounce. IE if the recipie asks for 1 cup of oil, use 1 cup of applesauce. (PS. Applesauce that is not sweetened.) I DARE you to taste a difference!
    4) Instead of a whole egg use 2 egg whites. 1/3 cals, You can't beat that!
    5) Instead of enriched flour, use whole wheat flour to cook with. In fact a good rule of thumb is to take the ingredients listed on each item you buy, and make sure that "Enriched flour is not in the top 5 items." Enriched means they took out all of the good food stuff and added back the dead food stuffs.
    6) Just say no to corn syrup!
    Now to REALLY answer your question, Please stand by. But first give us your favorite food. I bet that we can adjust it, OR them for you! :bigsmile:
    --Diann...
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    .There are a lot of great recipes posted her at MFP. Also check the sparkspeople.com They too have some really good recipes and they give all the nutritional value.
    Happy cooking:flowerforyou:
  • shreve_sharon
    Options
    www.healthy-girl.com

Yummy too....:smile:
  • tdroseler
    Options
    there are 3 things i love most in my kitchen...my steamer, my oven, and my barbeque...ok, so that one isn't technically in my kitchen, lol.

I have a steamer from tupperware that i use all the time for doing my veggies up quick and healthy. I also like to do them "roasted" in the oven. i cut them in big chunks, spray lightly with Pam, cooking spray, and pick a spice to put over them. stick them in the oven, watch them, you'll know when they are done. simple and easy.

My bbq gets the most work out. even now that winter has come. I love doing meats on the bbq, and i have experimented. this way there is virtually no fats, and lots of flavor. I grill chicken, pork and beef, just plain for adding to salads, or to slice thin for sandwiches. I use different spices for flavor. I even do fish on a foil lined pan. I have been looking at different recipes, apparently you can do roasts and stuff too, but i like the warmth of the oven in the winter for that.

If you don't want to bbq in winter, get one of those George Forman type grills...they work great for letting the fat out of meats.

There are lots of tools to use in the kitchen, and if you experiment, you will find what works best for you, and you might even enjoy cooking even more.