How much damage will I do.....

Options
If I take a week off from the gym? I have been working out consistantly for about 10 weeks 4 times a week and I just feel exhausted and it is getting harder and harder to make myself get to the gym. I was thinking maybe taking this week off and start fresh again on Monday, but I don't want to damage any progress I have made so far. Any advice?

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine. It'll give your muscles time to repair, and hopefully you'll be able to approach it next week with some enthusiasm. Keep your food chocies excellent this week!
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I personally don't feel you will do any harm as long as you watch what you intake. You might see a difference in your metabolism being a little sluggish after the first 3-4 days not working out. But you shouldn't have any kick back with weight gain...
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    No harm will be done. It's actually necessary.
    Weightlifters call it a "deload" period. Your body eventually gets overwhelmed and you need either a few days off from the gym or a week at a reduced intesity/volume.

So you're actually on the right track. Doesn't hurt to do this every 6-8 weeks to avoid overtraining.
  • francis1425
    francis1425 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I just couldn't get over the guilty feeling, but this does help!