Gaining instead of losing

Options
I joined MFP 3wks ago, but have been doing WW on and off for years. I exericse 5-7times a week (currently on WK 9 of P90X). I don't know why, but I'm gaining - i initially lost weight, now have gained for past 2 weeks. Granted, I don't have tons to lose (lost a lot of weight in the past, just trying to lose the bit I gained over the winter, and trying ot firm up). I'm 5'3" and as of today 135# (my highest was 185lbs, lowest 125lbs). I eat more than the recommended protein and fiber daily and a bit less of the rec'd carbs. I eat at least 1200cals/day. Still not losing, and I swear if i worked out like this and ate like this a few years ago, I would be at my goal weight already. But since turning 37, it's like the weight just doesn't want to leave me!! Do I just work on improving the body I have and give up on seeing the results on the scale? It's so unmotivating to see the scale creep UP despite all my hard work!!

Replies

• bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Were you under 1200 cals for an extended period? Could've dropped your metabolism.

I'd quit worrying what the scale says and look in the mirror. If you're looking better, be happy with that. I weight myself maybe once a month.
  • JustMichelleB
    Options
    I don't think I ever eat less than 1200cals. I know I shouldn't get hooked on the number on the scale, but it's almost liek it's a "reward" for my efforts.
  • bmontgomery87
    Options
    I don't think I ever eat less than 1200cals. I know I shouldn't get hooked on the number on the scale, but it's almost liek it's a "reward" for my efforts.

I understand that. A lot of people get obsessed with the numbers. I have a friend who did p90x and he still seems pretty hooked on checking his weight. I prefer to not worry with it and focus on the changes I see in the mirror. Because I know if my diet is on track and my training is consistent that I'm going to make the progress I want.

Could just be water weight due to increased sodium levels or something. I've seen my weight jump 5 pounds in a day or two just from eating a different food or drinking more water. Thats why I rarely use scales.
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Well without seeing your diary information, I would guess that it's possible you are eating too little calories? Have you researched calorie zig zagging? Maybe you wanna look that up...
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Hard to tell without being able to see your food diary.
  • JustMichelleB
    Options
    I just opened up my diary to "public". That makes me nervous...but I know it must be done:ohwell:
  • melandcurt
    Options
    I'm having the same issue, but obviously I have a lot more to lose than you. I would think in your case it would be just because you exercise so much that you are building muscle and I don't think I would let the numbers bother me at all. You are smokin', lady!
  • givprayz
    givprayz Posts: 328
    Options
    Look at a report of your net calories and you will see that you are getting less than 1200 net almost every day. You are also getting high sodium, even though that isn't showing in your diary because the entries don't have the right amounts. Many things aren't listing any sodium, when there is really quite a lot (like in ham.) I don't know if you aren't listing all of your water, but that could also be a problem, if you aren't drinking enough.

It is definitely harder to lose those last 10 pounds than it was to lose the first 10, but it will happen if you give your body what it needs, which is high quality nutrition, lots of water, and frequent exercise. Don't cheat yourself by eating a calorie packed food like a donut. Try to cut out as much white carbohydrate as you can, and replace with fruits and vegetables and a moderate amount of whole grains. Of course lean protein is also essential to weight loss and muscle growth. I think if you tweak your diet just a bit and get plenty of water, you will see the scale go back down. Don't try to lose 2 pounds per week, try to lose .5-1. It takes longer, but is a much more reasonable goal for those final 10 pounds.
  • bmontgomery87
    Options
    . Don't try to lose 2 pounds per week, try to lose .5-1. It takes longer, but is a much more reasonable goal for those final 10 pounds.
    Agreed. It's much easier to stay on track at this rate, and you will experience less muscle loss.
    Your body doesn't only drop fat when you lose weight, some of it is muscle, and if you're dropping at 2 pounds a week, you're more likely to lose some of the muscle you've worked hard to get.