OT - Awww a bittersweet day

Options
Some days are just bigger than others. This was all after work: One of my dd's pets died today. It was unexpected, we don't know the cause (parakeet, one in an aviary). She took it well. We had a small service and buried the budgie under a cactus.

Meanwhile my son donated his bike to the local Ronald McDonald house. My son had open heart at 10 days and again at 3 1/2 years. The bike was bought when he was 3 1/2 and very tiny to help he strive for better balance and strength. It was and is a beautiful bike, and it held up extremely well. The man who accepted the donation talked directly to my son and filled out the receipt in his name. It is now on his bulletin board. Below is the text we turned in with the bike. It was one of those "awww" moments. I hope the bike brings joy to another family too.

Liam's Bike

After his second open heart surgery at age 3 1/2 years old we bought
Liam a special bike. The bike was his favorite color (blue) and small
enough to be a perfect fit. More importantly it was a real bike that
was chain driven and had brakes just like his sister's bike.
The bike was a challenge to learn how to ride. Riding the bike
helped Liam grow stronger and gain better balance.
Liam rode the bike for four years. Now Liam is a healthy
eight year old. He wants to pass on his special bike to another child
who can use it.

Thank you.

Liam has VCFS (22q11.2) and is doing very well. He is age appropriate
in all his classes and is set to graduate speech therapy this fall.
This fall he will participate in Therapeutic horseback riding for his second year.

Replies

• jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Options
    Some days are just bigger than others. This was all after work: One of my dd's pets died today. It was unexpected, we don't know the cause (parakeet, one in an aviary). She took it well. We had a small service and buried the budgie under a cactus.

Meanwhile my son donated his bike to the local Ronald McDonald house. My son had open heart at 10 days and again at 3 1/2 years. The bike was bought when he was 3 1/2 and very tiny to help he strive for better balance and strength. It was and is a beautiful bike, and it held up extremely well. The man who accepted the donation talked directly to my son and filled out the receipt in his name. It is now on his bulletin board. Below is the text we turned in with the bike. It was one of those "awww" moments. I hope the bike brings joy to another family too.

Liam's Bike

After his second open heart surgery at age 3 1/2 years old we bought
    Liam a special bike. The bike was his favorite color (blue) and small
    enough to be a perfect fit. More importantly it was a real bike that
    was chain driven and had brakes just like his sister's bike.
    The bike was a challenge to learn how to ride. Riding the bike
    helped Liam grow stronger and gain better balance.
    Liam rode the bike for four years. Now Liam is a healthy
    eight year old. He wants to pass on his special bike to another child
    who can use it.

Thank you.

Liam has VCFS (22q11.2) and is doing very well. He is age appropriate
    in all his classes and is set to graduate speech therapy this fall.
    This fall he will participate in Therapeutic horseback riding for his second year.
  • JustineRenee84
    Options
    Beautiful and inspiring story! Today was one of those days where everything just felt so hectic! Nice to read something truly heartwarming like this and remember the things in life that are really important! How blessed we are with our children:smile: !
  • Lexino
    Lexino Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Definately an awww moment. That is so great to hear how well your son is now. Open heart surgery and 3 1/2? Wow, I can't imagine what you went through at the time, and I'm so happy for you now. Stories like yours remind me just how precious my children and family are, and I how sometimes I worry to much about little things. Thanks for your story:flowerforyou:
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Options
    Thanks. Having a child with birth defects had been one of my irrational fears since I was about 14. Turns out he is amazing. Having him has also given me the focus that I was lacking.