What to eat at bedtime???

Options
What do you all think is the best thing to eat when I'm hungry at night but getting ready to go to bed??? An apple?
Some carrots?
A piece of toast?

What is better to sleep on and not to gain weight from?
Carbs?
Protein?
Sugary something?

Or nothing at all and just ignore the stomach growls???

Replies

• PhotographerOfNature
    PhotographerOfNature Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    What do you all think is the best thing to eat when I'm hungry at night but getting ready to go to bed??? An apple?
    Some carrots?
    A piece of toast?

What is better to sleep on and not to gain weight from?
    Carbs?
    Protein?
    Sugary something?

Or nothing at all and just ignore the stomach growls???
  • harmsway01
    Options
    If you can do it. Deal with the stomach growls and try to avoid eating anything during the 3 hours prior to you going to bed. You don't want to give your body fuel to burn during sleep. Let your body burn stored calories while sleeping.
  • Lexino
    Lexino Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    It my stomach growls, I do something about it. Not immediately before bed, but at least 45 min. I'll usually down a big glass of water and have some grapes or a half an apple. If Im starving I'll eat a 100 mini bag of popcorn with 0cal butter spray. I haven't gained anything eating late at night, so I don't worry about it. I guess everyone is different though! :smile:
  • raincloud
    raincloud Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I drink water. If that doesn't work then a glass of skim milk.
  • Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I have been told that if you hungry at bed time to eat some oatmeal. If you are too hungry at bed time or during the night you will not get a good nights sleep which you need to get through the next day.
    I have found 100 calorie packets of oatmeal at the supermarket.
    :flowerforyou:
  • overthehillsandfaraway
    Options
    I have been told that if you hungry at bed time to eat some oatmeal. If you are too hungry at bed time or during the night you will not get a good nights sleep which you need to get through the next day.
    I have found 100 calorie packets of oatmeal at the supermarket.
    :flowerforyou:

Yes! What she said. The ingredient escapes my mind at the moment but it is something that will fill you up and let you sleep good at the same time. Oatmeal is the answer.
  • DeannaK
    DeannaK Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    thanks for bringing up this question and for all the people who answered.. i've been wondering this too! my biggest issue is having too many calories left at bedtime. it was a busy stressful day today - and that is SO NOT my trigger for eating... so of course, i didn't have time to eat as much today.. should be a good thing, but not when you have 1/2 of your days calories still left after dinner :(
  • Thrust
    Thrust Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    It's best to have a slow digesting protein combined with fat (which further slows digestion). Most recommend some type of casein protein. I typically eat a cup of cottage cheese and 2 tblsp. of natural peanut butter. I use some splenda or Walden Farms calorie free chocolate syrup as a sweetner.

Regardless, do not eat carbs before bed as they will be stored as fat.
  • brittany_preston185
    Options
    Based from experience, if you choose to ignore the stomach growling, you're most likely to say "screw it" I'll start over tomorrow.....then hit the fridge.

I know sometimes, when I chose to ignore the stomach growling and pain.....I couldn't even sleep.

So, whenever it happened to me.....I ate the following:

1 of the 100 Calorie Snacks
    A medium salad with fat free dressing
    Low fat fruit smoothie
    Fat Free Yogurt
    Jell-O
    Low sugar fruits such as berries or cantaloupe
    2 slices of the 35 calorie bread with spray butter and garlic powder
    Skim Mozzarella Cheese Sticks
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I have always heard a small piece of fruit is best. I don't have anything to back it up though.....sorry. I will usually have frest berries and a small plain yogurt. If I don't have berries or yogurt, just fruit.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    If your starving at bedtime, maybe you eat your last meal too early?

I drink skim or 1% milk. Gives me calcium, protein and a full feeling.

Just a thought.
  • RKJR925
    RKJR925 Posts: 254
    Options
    If your starving at bedtime, maybe you eat your last meal too early?

I drink skim or 1% milk. Gives me calcium, protein and a full feeling.

Just a thought.

I agree eat later. If eating at night makes you gain weight they would feed all the starving people in Africa at night.

Also I have read that a spoonful of peanut butter is good because of the Casein Protein which breaks down slowly throughout the nigh and help prevent muscle breakdown.

Cures the sweet tooth if you have enough calories left.
  • PhotographerOfNature
    PhotographerOfNature Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I don't always go to bed hungry, but once in a while, I will be really hungry at night, and sometimes, I just can't ignore it and I don't want to run the risk of slowing the tiny bit of metabolism that I do have, down even farther by not eating. I like the oatmeal tip though. That sounds good at night. :flowerforyou:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I always have one low-fat graham cracker sheet cookie (4 squares) with 1 tblspoon. PB. It's a great snack--satisfies the sweet tooth, and the PB slows the digestion of it down so it doesn't cause spikes in blood sugar. Which, even for non-diabetics, is important, as you won't feel hungry again later. It has helped my morning levels tremendously.
  • Thrust
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I don't always go to bed hungry, but once in a while, I will be really hungry at night, and sometimes, I just can't ignore it and I don't want to run the risk of slowing the tiny bit of metabolism that I do have, down even farther by not eating. I like the oatmeal tip though. That sounds good at night. :flowerforyou:

If you're interested in burning fat, skip the oatmeal. Since you're not expending much energy at night the carbs from the oatmeal will be stored as fat. Go with the aforementioned suggestion(s) of peanut butter and a protein source (either milk, protein powder, or cottage cheese).
  • readyforyou
    Options
    I can usually nip that fix with a glass of water. If not I'll have a rice cake or a few soy crisps.
  • muskratface
    muskratface Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    my favorite is skim milk with a little vanilla extract and splenda. tastes like melted ice cream!
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends, some people like a glas of milk and a little bit of honey in it , others Ice cream or popcorn. I like apples with peanut butter or some whole wheat toast with a little bit of nutella, depending on what calories you have left, if it's just a little bit a 100 cal. snack will do. As long as it is not a very heavy meal and still in your calorie limit I would let my body decide. I would be in trouble if I for instance ate something high protein since it gives me energie and I already have enough problems with not sleeping well. I also don't believe that a little package of oatmeal will pack on fat, no matter when you eat it. I read an article that advised people with tendencies to depression to eat oat meal or pasta with marinara sauce for dinner , it said it would help with the production of seratonins in the brain.
  • Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I also don't believe that a little package of oatmeal will pack on fat, no matter when you eat it.

It won’t. The 100 calorie bowl of oatmeal is one of the good carbs from whole grain that is good for you in many ways. Whole fruits and veggies are also good carbs. The good carbs are what helps you stay full longer and eat less. In the report I heard they said carbs are really good for us and they are essential. They also said good carbs have a lot of fiber and literally thousands of nutrients.

They went on to say some bad carbs for you to avoid are white bread, white rice, donuts, baked potatoes and sugary soft drinks.

Peanut butter has almost double the calories of the oatmeal. What ever works for you is what you should do. But as for me the oatmeal fills me up better then a tablespoon or two of peanut butter. I would be looking for something to put that peanut butter on and then there goes the calorie count closer to 300 or more calories right before bed. But like I said everyone has to do what is right for them and works for you. I have lost 171 pounds and kept if off for almost 4 years….and I am still working at it……I must be doing something right. :flowerforyou:
  • Thrust
    Options
    First, I have to compliment Loretta_Jo on her commendable achievement of losing 171 lbs. That certainly shows dedication and consistency. That said, such an outstanding personal achievement cannot contradict physiology and biology. Carbohydrates do not possess the satiation capability of a slow-digesting protein and also spike insulin levels. Additionally, in most situations the body's preferential source of energy is carbohydrates. Consumption of a nutrient used primarily for energy at a time when you're at rest is illogical.

I'm not suggesting carbs should be demonized and they cannot and should not be overlooked as a critical component of any healthy diet. However, their consumption should be used when they are most productive and can serve the body best (e.g., pre and post-workout; breakfast). Otherwise, carbohydrates, when not used for bodily fuel, can and will lead to the storage of fat. This is especially true at night when the sensitivity to insulin decreases, metabolism slows, and growth hormone is secreted. In such times higher levels of insulin slow fat-burning and hamper the release of growth hormone.

Simple calorie-in/calorie-out aspects of "weight loss" overlook the fundamental importance of macro-nutrient (protein/carb/fat) timing. Each of these nutrients causes the body to react differently and their manipulation (timing/amount) can be used in a way to allow for maximum efficiency in achieving one's goal(s).

If you're goal is to lose weight and you correlate success with watching a scale value lower, then this information may be of little utility; eat carbs, Oreos or ding-dongs at night. As long as you're hypocaloric, you'll lose weight. However, for those of who may use a different barometer of progress and you desire body re-composition in the form of FAT loss and increasing lean mass (some like to refer to this as toning), then research what can be gained by manipulation of your macro-nutrients.

:wink: