What kind of warrior would want this diet?!

Options
This cannot be healthy at all.
This Warrior Diet calls for just one meal a day, not a lot of meat (aka protein), and exercising with no food in your stomach at all.

Just thought I would share this.
Starvation mode messes with your metabolism and could possibly harm your muscles, right?

www.warriordiet.com

Replies

• JustMichelleB
    Options
    Sounds like a true starvation diet. I'm sure people will swear by it )-:
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    This cannot be healthy at all.
    This Warrior Diet calls for just one meal a day, not a lot of meat (aka protein), and exercising with no food in your stomach at all.

Just thought I would share this.
    Starvation mode messes with your metabolism and could possibly harm your muscles, right?

www.warriordiet.com

Actually doesn't put you in starvation mode somehow. I've read a lot about it on bodybuilding forums. And people do swear by it. Intermittent Fasting is really popular with the bodybuilding crowd for getting under the 10 percent bodyfat mark.

Considering muscle mass is precious to them, I'd say they aren't losing much from the diet.

Tons of people do fasted cardio and it's supposed to help with weight loss.

On the other hand, I'll never do it. I prefer eating throughout the day.
  • Ninjitsu
    Ninjitsu Posts: 163
    Options
    I've been using this diet for years!

Just Kidding! I enjoy food, energy, and living.

;)

Thanks for the link though... Kinda interest.

-Rain
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I do a form of this with spike84. I have lots of energy, I love to eat, I like my muscle, and I am getting stronger. There is a lot of science to back up why it works.

Love it, Love it.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    It does have a place. I've gone through spurts of eating like this. Mostly while working full time and going to school and it was'nt problematic for staying lean and weightlifting 3 times a week. It's basically persistent intermittent fasting and a Paleo type nutrition plan.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    People and their crazy diets reminds me of the one personally trainer who says he goes 20 hours without eating then he eats for 4 hours straight. People!!! It's okay I will stick to eating my 5 small meals a day and not stress out over the newest fad diet. To each their own!
  • fattymcgoo
    Options
    I don't think that the warrior diet gives your body time to enter "starvation mode"...24 hours is not long enough for your body to make major long-lasting metabolic changes like that. You're not starving, you're actually intermittent fasting (more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermittent_fasting). This is an eating habit that has been shown to increase the lifespan of mice in scientific studies...I work in science and know a couple of people that are doing it in conjunction with a reduced calorie diet, and are losing weight. From what they tell me, it's just a matter of getting used to eating that way.
    That being said, if you eat the right amount of calories all at once rather than split into several meals, you're not starving yourself. It's just a matter of what works for you. I've tried this style of eating, and it didn't work as well for me as eating "primal" (small and often). But I still try and do fasted cardio (having not eaten for at least 12 hours) at least a couple of times a week - it's killer for burning fat.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Theres a lot of science behind it. It really does work.

Pretty sure the fasting causes an increase in growth hormone levels, which is optimal for bodybuilding.
  • samantharae121205
    Options
    when i first started on here i was only eating at night (still getting all my cals 1200-1400) and i lost alot of weight. once i started reading alot of the message boards i began eating lunch and breakfast and since all i seem to be doing is maintaining?!.
  • 4theking
    Options
    Theres a lot of science behind it. It really does work.

Pretty sure the fasting causes an increase in growth hormone levels, which is optimal for bodybuilding.

Yes, increase in growth hormone and as well as adrenal hormones. Actually boosts metabolism by 5-6%. Also, by only eating carbs in the evening, they are less likely to be stored as fat due to insulin sensitivity being less later in the day.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Gonna play devil's advocate here...not advocating his diet, but just looking at it from another perspective. There are already plenty of people here that say they "save" the bulk of their calories for the evening...is that so different? If you believe that overall total calories are key, you could eat all of your calories in one sitting and you wouldn't be in "starvation mode." And BTW, I HATE that term...children in Africa are starving...we clearly are not.

There is definitely truth in eating whole foods, and I for one have no problem exercising on an empty stomach in the morning. In fact I prefer it! I also am in agreement in planning meals around my workouts rather than adding an additional post workout snack.
  • samantharae121205
    Options
    think i may go back to wut i started with since it was working..!?
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Yikes! To each their own and whatever works best for the individual, yada, yada, yada. That being said, I could never do this, I'd end up chewing my arm off or something.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    HCG (pregnancy hormone) and Atkins (very bad for your organs) is also science based. That doesn't mean it's good for you. I ate to the extreme so got fat. I'm combatting the extreme and trying normal for the long term. Because long term I want to maintain and not have food as the center of my life.

Thumbs down to extreme diets, cleanses, and living on supplements and whey.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    It would work if for no other reason that you end up consuming less calories than your body needs to maintain itself. The energy balance equation strikes again.

Incidentally, there is one study if I recall correctly that shows spiking insulin levels and then the converse sharp fall may in fact have an advantage over the the traditional strategy of keeping blood sugar levels stable all day. Even low levels of insulin stand in the way of mobilising fat from fat cells (lipolysis.) Therefore eating regular meals throughout the day keeping insulin levels low but constant which will effectively stand in the path of lipolysis to some degree. The study showed that fatty acid levels regained much faster with an insulin spike, forcing blood sugar levels down at a tremendous rate and lowering insulin.

Of course people recommend eatling small amounts frequently for very good reasons. It prevents a crash in blood sugar levels which helps with appetite control and prevents over eating.

In relaity I think it makes very little difference which path you follow as long as you remain in a (sensible) calorie deficit. This is down to the individual, what they can stick to and what plays to their strength.
  • 4theking
    Options
    HCG (pregnancy hormone) and Atkins (very bad for your organs) is also science based. That doesn't mean it's good for you. I ate to the extreme so got fat. I'm combatting the extreme and trying normal for the long term. Because long term I want to maintain and not have food as the center of my life.

Thumbs down to extreme diets, cleanses, and living on supplements and whey.

What is the definition of extreme diet? I don't feel this is extreme at all.
  • 4theking
    Options
    It would work if for no other reason that you end up consuming less calories than your body needs to maintain itself. The energy balance equation strikes again.

Incidentally, there is one study if I recall correctly that shows spiking insulin levels and then the converse sharp fall may in fact have an advantage over the the traditional strategy of keeping blood sugar levels stable all day. Even low levels of insulin stand in the way of mobilising fat from fat cells (lipolysis.) Therefore eating regular meals throughout the day keeping insulin levels low but constant which will effectively stand in the path of lipolysis to some degree. The study showed that fatty acid levels regained much faster with an insulin spike, forcing blood sugar levels down at a tremendous rate and lowering insulin.

Of course people recommend eatling small amounts frequently for very good reasons. It prevents a crash in blood sugar levels which helps with appetite control and prevents over eating.

In relaity I think it makes very little difference which path you follow as long as you remain in a (sensible) calorie deficit. This is down to the individual, what they can stick to and what plays to their strength.

As far as just losing weight, you are right. A caloric deficit is all it takes.