Zumba and calories burned

Options
I have been doing Zumba now for about 3 weeks and I've lost inches but the scale isn't moving. I need a trainer's advice. I am eating my 1200 calories a day then exercising and burning 900 in a 45 min intermediate workout on the wii according to my HRM and then I may eat a couple hundred more but I always have 500-700 calories left at the end of the day. Am I supposed to be eating those too or just not exercising as much or what? I'm so frusterated because I don't know what the right thing to do. BTW I am 5'8 and 173 lbs. My goal weight is abou 145lbs. I lost 20lbs last year just from MFP alone but it isn't working anymore. Please help!

Megan

Replies

• myvenus
    myvenus Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing.......this is only day 2 for me and on day 1, I burned a bit over 500 calories but I did not eat them. I read one other message board yesterday where the gal lost 100 pounds in a little over a year and she said she ate her extra points from exercise. And when I followed a different weight loss plan (can't mention the name of it), they encouraged us to eat the extra points earned...it helps the metabolism stay revved up. I would try it for a week, eat the extra points you've earned, and I bet you will lose.....good luck to you. Report back to me :)
  • daveshoneybun
    daveshoneybun Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    was wondering the same thing, i'm still losing without eating the calories back, but don't want to stall out if i don't eat them. please someone help us with this topic.

bump for later.
  • myvenus
    Options
    what is bump?
  • 36jessica
    36jessica Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    what is bump?

Good question! People on this site are bumping everywhere! What is it?! About the calorie thing. I was also told to eat the calories back. I haven't started doing that, yet, though. There is a member of MFP (Laddyboy) who's going to explain the whole situation to me sometime next week. He's been on MFP for a while and has lost a lot of weight and is looking really fit. A true success story!
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    what is bump?
    you "bump" if you want the thread to appear in your topics for reading later :-D
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    what is bump?

It is supposed to be to "bump" a topic to the top of the forum to allow for more discussion, but people also use it to mark a post in order to read them later.....
  • enoch40
    enoch40 Posts: 9
    Options
    i also was wondering the same thing i eat some of the calories i burn but i am not allwasy hungry to eat all of them
  • myvenus
    Options
    Thanks, I'm new to this....and another dumb question, how do I bump this topic?
  • 36jessica
    Options
    don't know. Maybe we should just write 'bump' and see what happens. :wink:
  • 36jessica
    Options
    Bump
  • myvenus
    Options
    bump
  • Roll_Tide_Meg
    Roll_Tide_Meg Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Then that brings up another question...if I eat EVERYTHING that I've burned, isn't that like not exercising at all? Haha! BTW ya'll kill me with that bump stuff. lol!
  • myvenus
    Options
    No, because you are gaining muscle, which more muscle burns more calories!! And eating little meals throughout the day keeps your metabolism going (balanced meals of course)...Anybody, correct me if I'm wrong. and please add to this post.....
  • Roll_Tide_Meg
    Options
    Well then I guess I will try it for one week starting today. I will let you know next hump day if it works or not. I'm scared though because I want to lose about 15 lbs by the end of next month because we are going to the beach for Memorial Day...but we shall see...hopefully it will work and if not...maybe it will be easy to get back on track.
  • babydollrn
    babydollrn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    How do you all log Zumba as an exercise on here? I read that most ppl burn about 700 calories/hr with zumba, so I just clicked create a new exercise and added that info....not sure if i did that right or why i couldnt find anything thing since it seems a lot of you also do zumba? Thanks!
  • allisoncook87
    allisoncook87 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    you're not eating enough calories probably
  • AmandaHammill
    AmandaHammill Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I log Zumba as high impact aerobics. The calories may be a bit less but that's better than over-inflating them. As for eating my exercise calories. I try to maintain a minimum of 1200 cals a day, so if i exercise and have net to eat I will eat something healthy like greek yoghurt, almonds, peanut butter, etc. to get as close to 1200 as I can. You really shouldn't let your intake be below 1200 if you can help it. Don't forget that MFP has already calculated a calorie deficit into your food plan. If you exercise and don't eat some of those cals to get back to 1200 you're not doing your bod any favors. It needs the cals to replenish the muscles. There are a lot of good threads on here about eating your exercise calories. Type that (eating exercise calories and/or starvation mode) into the Search bar and do some browsing. Quite fascinating really.
  • myvenus
    Options
    Also, I want to add to this - do weight training along with your Zumba...whether free weights, weight machines, or resistant training....that helps build muscle fast....
  • Roll_Tide_Meg
    Options
    I don't really want nor need to build muscle. I just want to lose lbs. I want to be at a healthy BMI.

As for the eating my exercise calories. I am doing that for a week and seeing what happens. I already don't feel starved like I have been feeling after Zumba.

Oh and for the one that wanted to know how I log the calories....I went and bought a heart rate monitor at Target for about $50. It monitors my heart rate as well as calories burned during exercise. I burn about 900 in 45 min on medium difficulty on intermediate level. It can be different for everyone though.
  • 36jessica
    Options
    How do you all log Zumba as an exercise on here? I read that most ppl burn about 700 calories/hr with zumba, so I just clicked create a new exercise and added that info....not sure if i did that right or why i couldnt find anything thing since it seems a lot of you also do zumba? Thanks!

I bought a heart rate monitor which tells me calories burned after each session. After 40 min. of Zumba Cardio Party I burn from 560-590 cal. dependng on how hard I pushed. I'm not exactly sure how accurate it is but it's probably more accurate than just generically choosing an exercise.