Break Free from the Scale!

Options
Break Free from the Scale!
How to Stop the Scale from Determining Your Self-Worth
-- By Jennipher Walters, Certified Personal Trainer and Fitness Instructor

How many times have you stepped on the scale, full of hopeful anticipation, only to be disappointed by the number staring back at you? Suddenly, that great feeling of accomplishment you had vanishes and you tell yourself that, again, you failed. No matter how hard you try, you can't lose weight. Sound familiar?

For so many of us who are trying to lose or manage our weight, the scale is our main tool for measuring our progress; unfortunately, we often allow it to measure our self-worth, too.

While the scale can be a good way to measure progress, it shouldn't be your only indicator of health and change. In fact, using it as your only form of measurement can result in obsession, negative thinking and a possible decrease in your motivation level.

For people who weigh themselves daily (or even multiple times a day), the idea of giving up the scale can be scary. But I guarantee that once you do it, you'll be happier, have a more accurate self-image and better relationship with your body. If cutting yourself off from the scale cold-turkey is a scary—or downright impossible—proposal, follow this five-step plan to go from scale-obsessed to scale-free in just one month!

How to Ditch the Scale in 30 Days

1. Store the scale out of sight. Most of us keep our scale in the bathroom, and it's one of the first things we see in the morning. In fact, I bet before you're probably even fully awake, you hop on it to see if you dropped weight overnight. The first step in breaking free from the number on the scale is to put the scale away; out of sight, out of mind. Whether it goes under the bed, in a closet or in a drawer, get it out of your everyday sight. When you can't see it, you'll be much less tempted to hop on as frequently.

2. Start your day with a positive ritual. Because you might struggle with breaking the habit of getting up and not weighing yourself—even if the scale is out of sight—the next step is to swap a new behavior for your weigh-in ritual. Instead of stepping on the scale first thing in the morning, give yourself a pick-me-up! Whether it's listening to a high-energy song that gets you going, reading your goals aloud, giving yourself a short pep talk or reciting a quotation that resonates with you, take just a few minutes to get focused and pumped to continue making healthy changes.

3. Start measuring other healthy accomplishments. Just because you're not weighing yourself doesn't mean that you can't track your progress. Instead of measuring your weight loss using a scale, grab a fabric tape measure and record the circumference of your waist, hips, thighs and arms. Do this once a month and record them on your "Weigh-In and Other Measurements" page. Measuring your body size in this manner can be a much better way to gauge success because, unlike your body weight, which can fluctuate drastically, the true size of your body doesn't fluctuate wildly from day to day. Also, as you get fitter and build more muscle, you may gain muscle mass and lose fat but not see much change in your weight-loss numbers. You might even gain weight from increasing your muscle mass—and that's not a bad thing.

You can also track other indicators of health and well-being, such as your daily energy level, stress level, sleep quality and self-esteem. These wellness measurements may not change overnight, but if you're eating healthier foods and regularly moving your body, you will see changes over time. And unlike a number, these changes make huge differences in your quality of life.

Additionally, make sure to track your overall health and fitness progress. If you have health issues, you may even want to consider measuring your blood pressure, cholesterol and resting heart rate on a monthly basis. If you're really hitting the gym, try regularly assessing your fitness level with a quick and easy test, like how many push-ups or sit-ups you can do in a minute. There are so many ways to measure your success, so don't get wrapped up into just one number when other amazing changes are going on!

4. End your day with a pat on the back. Now that you're in the habit of starting your day without the scale, begin to close each day with a dose of positive reflection. Take another few minutes before bed to write down at least one accomplishment from the day or one thing you love about yourself. Then, end by writing three things you're grateful for, large and small. All too often we get caught up in the mental ping-pong game of "I should have done that workout" or "I should not have eaten that." When you regularly practice gratitude, it puts everything into perspective and helps you see that a minor slip-up here or a missed workout there isn't the end of the world. Always recognize the opportunity to learn from it, and move on.

5. Weigh in after a month. Once you've followed the steps above for a full month, they should start to feel like a habit, and you most likely won't be thinking about the scale nearly as much. You might also be feeling more confident, energized and stronger. If this is the case, it's time to take your scale out of hiding. Before getting back on the scale, revisit all of the success and progress you've recorded during the last four weeks. Then take a deep, peaceful breath and step on that scale. Does the number surprise you? How does it compare to your inches lost? And the biggest question of all: Does it really matter?

If you feel like you've fully broken free from the scale and your weight hasn't affected your feelings about your body or your mood for the day, put the scale away and keep up with steps two, three and four. Then, try weighing yourself weekly. If the obsession creeps back or if you get down on yourself about the number, repeat this month-long process again until you've broken free for good!

Replies

• vraesgame
    vraesgame Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    bump to read later :wink:
  • MAK_01
    MAK_01 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. I needed this today :-)
  • loriannmartin
    loriannmartin Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    thanks you for posting this.... ugh cause i am one to do this... and i gained a pound over night... how i have no idea. unless it is true i am under calories....
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I disagree, I think weighing yourself once a month is not enough. I think weekly is good. I like to see any increase so I can ward of any potential problem before it gets out of hand.
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    I have vowed to only read the scale every month....I will also check measurements monthly....
  • daloverlyme
    daloverlyme Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    It is ten am and I have weighed myself 5 times already, each time hoping for a different result. I am addicted to the scale, and it is getting scary. It reads a pound more than the day before it can mean the difference between a good day and a bad day.

Thanks for this post!!! I really needed it.
  • vette49
    vette49 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Good advice, now I just have to take it. I find myself getting on the scale daily. You are right it can be discouraging , but what the scale doesn't say the fit of my clothes does. So I just get off the scale and get to exercising :smile:
  • muststaymotivated
    Options
    Thanx for sharing!
  • Quierstina
    Quierstina Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting , I needed to read this today. While I typically weight in weekly I have a hard time fighting the urge to hop on the scale daily.

The spirit of the post is much appreciated.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Whilst I can see the benefit of this for those who get down about not losing weight, it isn't for everyone. I've recently started to weigh every day.
    Yes, some days I see a fluctuation but it doesnt bother me as If I track the what I lose the graph shows a steadty decline.
    The weighing keeps me on track and keeps me motivated. I cant kid myself that I'm doing well when I'm not
  • snowflakelaia
    Options
    I like to weigh myself everyday. I know that sometimes I'm a pound up because of what I ate the previous day, or if I drank too much...

It's not bad to weigh yourself as often as you wish, as long as you don't let that dictate your everyday life. If you're weighing yourself very often and see one pound added, it doesn't mean you have to log it either, don't make of that an statement, but a temporary thing. If in a week that one pound has become two pounds then it's better to take action and see what you've been eating.
    You can make some changes before it adds to 3 to 4 pounds by the end of the month. Then it is when I would feel surprised and almost disappointed for not keeping track of what I do, and the effect of some foods on my body.

Of course, that's what works for me, and everyone is different.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    I like to weigh myself everyday. I know that sometimes I'm a pound up because of what I ate the previous day, or if I drank too much...

It's not bad to weigh yourself as often as you wish, as long as you don't let that dictate your everyday life. If you're weighing yourself very often and see one pound added, it doesn't mean you have to log it either, don't make of that an statement, but a temporary thing. If in a week that one pound has become two pounds then it's better to take action and see what you've been eating.
    You can make some changes before it adds to 3 to 4 pounds by the end of the month. Then it is when I would feel surprised and almost disappointed for not keeping track of what I do, and the effect of some foods on my body.

Of course, that's what works for me, and everyone is different.

I totally agree with your statement. It works for me too and I am not obsssed either and when I see a move up I am not upset the whole day about it. After years of being in denial about my weight, the scale is a trusted friend for me nowadays.

I am still sticking with weighing daily because of my food addiction. 3 days of binging and I could be up over 5 pounds. At least if I weigh daily I will put a halt on binges when I see it reflected on my trusty friend the scale. It keeps me out of self denial. But I know this does not work for everyone and this article is good for those trying to break away from the scale for a minute.
  • Lee1957
    Lee1957 Posts: 23
    Options
    I weigh once a week. It was really hard for me to buy a scale. I haven't had one in my house in years which is probably why I got fatter and fatter. I feel like once a week is enough to keep me on track. The logging on mfp has really helped me realize how many calories food that I eat is. No wonder I am overweight. I am so excited about losing 22 pounds and having others to talk to sure helps with this. This post helps me to realize I can't get obsessed with weighing in thanks
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I think only you know whats best for you. If seeing the numbers go up and down like crazy really impares your motivation and/or mood definitely weigh yourself less. I on the other hand just flip the scale the bird and call it a liar whn I dont like the results, a 2 seconds of disappointment and go on with my day.
  • MSWDiet
    MSWDiet Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    THE SCALE CAN REALLY RUIN MY DAY WHEN I'M DOING ALL THE RIGHT THINGS AND IT WON'T BUDGE OR EVEN RISES. BUT, THE NON SCALE INDICATORS LIKE CLOTHES THAT WON'T FIT CAN SPOIL MY DAY JUST AS EASILY. HIDING THE SCALE IS FINE FOR THOSE WHO HAVE GOTTEN A LITTLE OVER WEIGHT BUT ALWAYS STAYED WITHIN THE NORM. IF YOU ARE PRONE TO OBESITY HOWEVER YOU MAY NEED THAT SCALE EVERY DAY.

I NEED THE SCALE IN MY FACE DAILY BECAUSE
    IT KEEPS ME HONEST WITH MYSLF SINCE IT CAN'T LIE TO ME
    IT REMINDS ME OF MY PRIMARY OBJECTIVE SO I STAY FOCUSED ON MY GOALS
    IT AIDS ME IN DOING THE RIGHT THING BECAUSE I KNOW ANY MISDEEDS WILL SHOW UP ON THE SCALE

SADLY, THE SCALE OWNS ME. HAD I CONTINUED TO WEIGH DAILY I WOULD NEVER HAVE GAINED 150 LBS. AS A COMPULSIVE OVEREATER I HAVE BETTER CONTROL WHEN I WEIGH FREQUENTLY. MY BIG ISSUE IS I NEED TO OWN THE SCALE AND NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Good advice.i know I had to do that.Hide a scale.I would see a gain and go home and eat and eat,doing this over and over.Then my dr told me only 1x a month.I learned to accept what the scale said.I can sneak a wt in in between now,it doesn`t go sending me to the food.I know either I did all I could or Oops,I didn`t and have to work harder.
    Thanks for posting!jane
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Thank you. :flowerforyou: