just got back from South Beach, need some re-motivation

Options
Well, I just got back tonight from my week vacation to Miami staying with friends, and I'm burnt and my wallet is a bit tapped out. It was a great time and South Beach was awesome. Definitely a lot of hot, hard bodies, but I couldn't help but notice that everyone down there seemed a bit fake, a bit pretentious and a bit wrapped up in material things. The people watching is fun though, don't see a lot of what I experienced in the past week in suburban PA. The beach was great though and the water temperature was like taking a bath! Just make sure to keep re-applying sunscreen whenever you decide to make it down there. We stayed in South Miami and went to the beach a few times but got to do other things in Coconut Grove and Coral Gables. Be sure to check out the Venetian Pool in Coral Gables if you ever go down there too.

So, during the first half of the trip my girlfriend and I were very good...we found an LA Fitness and got a 3 day free guest pass and used the facilities 2 days in a row and even made it to a spin class, we ate healthily and worked out. Went to Smokey's BBQ but I had chicken and went to Sia Siam sushi and had some good, healthy things there. However it seemed like after Sat. when we first went to South Beach at night everything went downhill...we got 2 large Fishbowl Mojitos (mega calories) and a large appetizer with a group of friends and it was late at night. We had the best fried calamari and meats and cheeses at an Italian restaurant, but it made me feel horrible for pigging out. Then on Sunday we went to La Careta for Cuban Food and I felt like I really "go for it " because I was on vacation (I kept telling myself) but I totally blew my diet. Number one, I overate. I had Ropa Vieja and rice and beans and avocado and sweet plantains and we went to DQ for dessert of which I had a Waffle Cone with custard. Really bad. I actually didn't do well on Monday night either, going to the Marlins game and then having ice cream that night as well. Pretty much the last 3 days I have pigged out and not watched what I have been eating, not watching portions and not caring. I don't want to yo-yo and gain back the 10 or so pounds that I have lost and gain back the body fat that I have lost. I'm really worried now about not being able to go back and get in my routine and be so diligent about working out and not eating so much and eating a low-fat, low-calorie diet. I had been seeing results too, and now I'm depressed. I guess I'll just have to work harder and be patient and give it time to be able to have that " "South Beach" Miami body but its hard. Anyone have any words of advice to re-motivate me??? Sigh. Maybe when I get back there in a year or so I will...I guess maybe it does take that long. I hate when I see other people being able to eat and drink whatever they want and have crazy ripped bodies. What's wrong with me!?

Replies

• joey16g
    joey16g Posts: 63
    Options
    Well, I just got back tonight from my week vacation to Miami staying with friends, and I'm burnt and my wallet is a bit tapped out. It was a great time and South Beach was awesome. Definitely a lot of hot, hard bodies, but I couldn't help but notice that everyone down there seemed a bit fake, a bit pretentious and a bit wrapped up in material things. The people watching is fun though, don't see a lot of what I experienced in the past week in suburban PA. The beach was great though and the water temperature was like taking a bath! Just make sure to keep re-applying sunscreen whenever you decide to make it down there. We stayed in South Miami and went to the beach a few times but got to do other things in Coconut Grove and Coral Gables. Be sure to check out the Venetian Pool in Coral Gables if you ever go down there too.

So, during the first half of the trip my girlfriend and I were very good...we found an LA Fitness and got a 3 day free guest pass and used the facilities 2 days in a row and even made it to a spin class, we ate healthily and worked out. Went to Smokey's BBQ but I had chicken and went to Sia Siam sushi and had some good, healthy things there. However it seemed like after Sat. when we first went to South Beach at night everything went downhill...we got 2 large Fishbowl Mojitos (mega calories) and a large appetizer with a group of friends and it was late at night. We had the best fried calamari and meats and cheeses at an Italian restaurant, but it made me feel horrible for pigging out. Then on Sunday we went to La Careta for Cuban Food and I felt like I really "go for it " because I was on vacation (I kept telling myself) but I totally blew my diet. Number one, I overate. I had Ropa Vieja and rice and beans and avocado and sweet plantains and we went to DQ for dessert of which I had a Waffle Cone with custard. Really bad. I actually didn't do well on Monday night either, going to the Marlins game and then having ice cream that night as well. Pretty much the last 3 days I have pigged out and not watched what I have been eating, not watching portions and not caring. I don't want to yo-yo and gain back the 10 or so pounds that I have lost and gain back the body fat that I have lost. I'm really worried now about not being able to go back and get in my routine and be so diligent about working out and not eating so much and eating a low-fat, low-calorie diet. I had been seeing results too, and now I'm depressed. I guess I'll just have to work harder and be patient and give it time to be able to have that " "South Beach" Miami body but its hard. Anyone have any words of advice to re-motivate me??? Sigh. Maybe when I get back there in a year or so I will...I guess maybe it does take that long. I hate when I see other people being able to eat and drink whatever they want and have crazy ripped bodies. What's wrong with me!?
  • Lexino
    Lexino Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Nothing's wrong with you!! Vacations are great, but SOO hard to keep on track. Just remember why you started this is the first place! And don't say "I'll start tomorrow", you have to start again now, before you don't want to at all. You can do this!!!:bigsmile:
  • joey16g
    Options
    Yea, that's the problem, I think that you hit the nail on the head. I came back tonight and I was like "I'm still on vacation, I'll just have another bowl of ice cream and start tomorrow". I'm starting now. Going to bed. Waking up tomorrow and back in my routine: Working out, low-fat, higher protein plan. Thanks!
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you had an awesome vacation-a real good time!

So don't beat yourself up, and get back in the game. 3 days isn't going to kill your progress. :smile:

Gina
  • lifesaver
    lifesaver Posts: 132
    Options
    Oh do I know how hard it is on vacation. Since June I have been slacking off! But I finally kicked my butt in gear! haha it's easier with a schedule though, I work during the summer but not regular hours. IN any case, I realized that it doesn't matter how long I put it off, I'm going to come back to doing this... so I might as well stop overeating before I gain so much back that I feel helpless! Good luck to you:flowerforyou:
  • Creamybuterfly
    Options
    My Trainer is awesome and he says you can still enjoy your life. SO WHAT you went overboard on your vacation...you had a great time and you were living. Just remember after vacation you jump back on the train and do what you know you need to do. I even occasionally take a day off is not a BIG DEAL, unless YOU make it an issue.
  • joey16g
    Options
    Thanks all for the support! Love the doggie!
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Joe, don't beat yourself up. You were on vacation and you can enjoy yourself. I came back from vacation in June and I am now just getting back on track. :grumble:

If you want to treat yourself, make sure you do something to burn some extra calories for the treat.
  • joey16g
    Options
    I'll try not to, everything just seems so much harder now!