Trying to understand this heart rate thing....

Options
So, as you can see, I'm very overweight. I have also led a very sedentary life. I have started going to the gym 3x a week and I use the treadmill pretty exclusively right now. It appears that my heart rate while working out is about 150-155 (according to the treadmill monitor which I agree can be off) and it tells me to slow down. However, I'm really not pushing myself all that much. I'm walking at 3.0 speed with 3.0 incline for 30 minutes. I'm sweating heavily when I'm done, but it's definately doable. As a matter of fact, I was wanting to up my intensity a bit - push myself a little bit harder, but this max heart rate thing has me confused.

Should I actually be slowing down? Trying to work out in my target heart rate zone - or is it ok for me to be pumping my heart that hard??
Thanks!

Replies

• darrenham
    darrenham Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Why does it tell you to slow down? Is it some kind of heart-rate-zone thing? They're all rubbish.

As long as you are comfortable, and have no breathlessness, chest pains or dizziness, you'll be fine.

Ignore target heart-rate zones. If you're trying to burn calories you want to work as hard as you can (safely of course).
  • beckymike36
    beckymike36 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kehowe83
    kehowe83 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    are you using a program on the treadmill for fat burn?
    there are different heart rate intensities for fat burn compared to cardio; i don't remember the differences, but cardio helps to expand lung capacity and burns more calories than fat burn does.
    the heart rates for fat burn go to a certain amount then you step into cardio burn.
    Your machine might be telling you to go lower to be in the fat burn rate.
  • irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    220 - your age = max heart rate. Looks like you're doing just fine - keep up the good work!
  • jaelwoman
    jaelwoman Posts: 81
    Options
    Sweet - thanks! I was seriously confused. But I really want to kick it up a notch (safely of course!)
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    If you can, I'd look into buying a heart rate monitor for yourself as I have heard that the ones on the machines are not that accurate. Also, would suggest getting one with a chest strap as they are better to calculate an accurate HR.

Here is a link to an article that was in another thread that was helpful.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

I have a Polar FS3 from about 4 or 5 years ago and mine does not calculate calories. I do believe the newer HRM's calculate calories. I'm actually thinking of getting a newer one - just not sure which one to buy yet......
  • buffalogal1979
    buffalogal1979 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I don't know that it is ALL that important. I think if you are moving, working out,and feeling good, keep doing it! You are burning calories!

http://www.runningplanet.com/training/running-intensity-weight-loss.html
  • darrenham
    darrenham Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    are you using a program on the treadmill for fat burn?
    there are different heart rate intensities for fat burn compared to cardio; i don't remember the differences, but cardio helps to expand lung capacity and burns more calories than fat burn does.
    the heart rates for fat burn go to a certain amount then you step into cardio burn.
    Your machine might be telling you to go lower to be in the fat burn rate.

None of this makes any difference, as long as you're in a negative energy balance, it doesn't matter if you're using fat or sugar at the time of the exercise because your body will even it out.

You're unlikely to increase the size of your lungs through cardio either.

Also, forget the heart rate monitor. Concentrate on your running, enjoy the exercise. Definitely don't spend any money on one unless you are an athlete training for a specific event.
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    220 - your age = max heart rate. Looks like you're doing just fine - keep up the good work!

So where does the figure 220 come from?

Thanks
    Mary
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    You're unlikely to increase the size of your lungs through cardio either.
    That is true. However, you will increase the size and efficiency of the heart so that it beats slower and provides more oxygen to the working muscles.
  • HelenTheKitchen
    Options

So where does the figure 220 come from?

Thanks
    Mary

It's just a formulated number that makes the formula work for the majority of people. Like all those crazy numbers in the BMR formula.
  • IndigoVA
    IndigoVA Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    My heart rate tends to run high. A light jog on the treadmill sends it up to 170 (I wear a heart rate monitor). I tend to ignore it unless I'm starting to feel dizzy or too out of breath. Also, I do intervals. I'll jog for 2 minutes (HR 160-170), and then walk for 2 minutes (HR 135-145). I've gradually increased the time of the jogging intervals as I've gotten more in shape. When I first started, I could only jog for 15 seconds, and my HR was over 180.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    If the treadmill is telling you to slow down you are doing a program. Put the treadmill on manual and adjust to your desire.
  • Showgirl_8
    Options
    I was having the same issue so I went out and bought myself a heart rate monitor instead which is a lot more accurate - I discovered I had been seriously slacking during my gym sessions before!