Question???

Options
I have been with MFP now for almost 3 weeks and I have done good. So far I have lose 24 lbs and I'm very happy about that, but today I cheated and got on the scale early to see how I was doing it shows that I have gained 10 of it back. I was very upset, but still motivated to keep on this journey. But my question is, do you think it is all water gain? I do drink at least 10 cups or water or more, plus I have went over my sodium intake a few times. Please anyone, what do you think?

Replies

• TracyR1968
    Options
    I know, its so hard not weigh in constantly, lol. I think your weight can fluctuate alot during the day.. time of day plays a big part. Was it first thing in the morning that you weighed in? Was it after eating or drinking? I always weigh first thing, after I have peed even...lol. No need for anything weighing me down. I'm not convinced you "gained" anything.. I think its just fluctuation and time of day. Hope that helps!
  • ladychi306
    ladychi306 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    It was in the morning after I pee'd LOL But I think I was retaining water cause my fingers were a little swollen.
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    24 pounds in three weeks. That reading may have been in error. Even at 13 pounds in 3 weeks you are doing great. Don't be a slave to the scale
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Most of this is water. You should be trying to lose about 2 pounds per week tops in my opinion. Thats a 500-1000 calorie deficit a day. If you go over that you could be putting your health at risk.
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    24 pounds in three weeks. That reading may have been in error. Even at 13 pounds in 3 weeks you are doing great. Don't be a slave to the scale

I agree. 1-2 ounds per week is all that most health care professionals agree is most healthy, and you've already done 13 in three weeks if you did gain the weight back. So that's about 4 pounds per week. Just keep up what you've been doing and I am sure you will still see results. And try measuring too, you will see more acurate results with that since muscle weighs more than fat.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    In order to lose one pound you have to eat 3500 calories LESS so MFP regulates that at 500 average a day less than your maintainence goal. 500x 7 days a week =3500 calories lost which equals 1 pound loss for one week.

That being said.. it is impossible to gain 10 pounds in one day you would have to eat 35,000 calories over your maintainence goal which I am guessing is near 2000 calories a day.

thats like 37,000 calories eaten in one day... Im pretty sure thats close to impossible.

So feel assured that it is the sugar and salt that has caused you to hold onto that water weight.

You did not gain 10 pounds of fat...

this is precisely why I stay off the scale all together. Measure yourself instead. its a much more accurate way to measure your progress.
  • steffilily
    steffilily Posts: 149
    Options
    You probably actually need to drink more water. Here is a post I read the other day and I followed it last week and dropped 4 lbs after a couple weeks of very little weight loss.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/200260-stop-retaining-water-by-drinking-more
  • deedeeboo
    Options
    hi there im quite new here not a expert at this at all. everyone seems so clever and knows all the ins and outs of what should and should not be done its helped me so much.

i have looked at every water tablet on the market - some help with slimming and others stop bloating when you are due. from the reviews i have red some cam be very dangerous as they can take to much water and that scares me. so i chose one that i got from my supermarket they are natural ingredients and they do work. when im due on i can never jet in to my work trousers but i can now if im taking them.. the good thing is i can tank them all the time or just a week before im due on, im not sure if im allowed to name it on here ha ha but rather than take all the water they balance it so you keep what you need.

the way i see it womens bodies in particular can fluctuate all the time or just once in a while, a lot depends on your hormones i know they always effect my metabolism which in turn is all connected to your thyroid gland which is the part that controls what hormones that are sent out in the first place and controls the energy sent out.

http://health.learninginfo.org/function-thyroid-gland.htm

with me anything can start it off change in eating habits, particular foods stress etc, also i don't know if you have periods or have irregular periods, that can effect it.

anyway i think its just one of them things and if you carry on you will be back on track soon.

Ha ha sorry to go on, you dont fab. well done!!!! xxx
  • fcrisswell
    fcrisswell Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    If you are starting out on the larger side...losing that amount of weight that quickly is fairly normal....as is gaining 10 pounds. It is not weight gain but water weight. The larger you are the more water weight to lose/gain. At my highest I was nearly 400 pounds. And, yes from day to day my weight could fluctuate that much.. Now it only fluctuates a couple pounds.

Also, you may for GP check the batteries on your scale LOL. Mine read a 20 pound loss once...till I replaced the batteries!