PCOS REALLY SUCKS!

Options
Ok, so I am killing myself trying to lose weight and am hardly getting anywhere. I am getting so frustrated and just plain feel like crying. Everyone else is just losing weight left and right and I am just struggling. I have PCOS and endometriosis and have been told by my doc that means it will be extra hard to lose the weight. Oh just great...like it isn't hard enough already!

Just trying to keep on going but it's really bumming me out...I had to get that off my chest - so thanks for listening guys!!

Replies

• tabbiekaye23
    tabbiekaye23 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have pcos also. My dr. started me on VIctoza. It is a once a day injection to help with the insulin resistance that pcos causes. since then i have started to lose weight. Talk to you dr about it. I was on metformin at one time which cuased horrible stomach cramps and diarrrhea.
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I have heard before that women with PCOS have better success losing weight using a lower carb diet. I'm not suggestion a crazy low carb diet like Atkins, but really trying to cut out bread, pasta, baked goods etc. Trying to get your carbs from fruits and vegetables. Just an idea!
  • dawnw30
    dawnw30 Posts: 270
    Options
    Thanks for the info guys! :flowerforyou:
  • peterjhill
    Options
    Hang in there. Ask your Doc about Glucophage and the insulin resistance that comes with PCOS. My wife has PCOS she took Glucophage when we were "getting pregnant" PCOS, pearl like strands around the ovaries, increased acne, more than what you had in high school and troble getting preganant and losing weight.
    Check on Glucophage.
  • emiliewright
    emiliewright Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I am in the exact same boat...Been hard at it since Jan 1st and only 7lbs down, if that. I am frustrated and want to cry daily....Please, anyone with any other advice...please help. Also, taking pills to control weight is not good for you and I will not do it. The doctor tried giving me metformin....has anyone researched that ****?? YUK! PCOS is managed best by diet and exercise, not drugs. I will get off my soapbox now...
  • petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I'm not on any meds. I wouldn't say it's been super hard losing weight but it hasn't been a cake walk either (okay...maybe on some days..there were cakes...). It probably depends on who you are but I didn't cut out any food groups, I didn't go low carb, low fat, low whatever...I just ate clean, kept within my 1200kcal the best I can and worked out....my doctor told me the same thing but she said if I wanted to get pregnant, I have to try my hardest to lose weight...it can happen and it will happen if you don't give up. =)
  • amyilene03
    amyilene03 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I too have PCOS. For a long time I used it as an excuse for being overweight (I gained about 70 lbs in a year), so I continued to eat all the bad carbs and not really take care of myself. I recently started to transform my lifestyle again and have cut out all the white bread, white rice and only eat whole grain. I did take Metformin for a little while, but I really just hate taking pills. I thought I should take care of the problem naturally by changing my diet. I've read that its better to do a low carb diet and increase your protein. I eat a lot of veggies daily. At least half of my plate is veggies and the other half is protein. If I do get a craving for bread, I'll eat whole wheat, or the honey wheat from nature's own (it's really good). I think you'll be fine as long as you remember not let PCOS control your life. Good luck! :-)
  • humblemonkey
    humblemonkey Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS... and yes, it does make losing weight a little more challenging. Dont get discouraged tho!

Do you have hair issues too? I actually find those issues to be even more agrivating because I KNOW I cant do anything to change them :o(

Are you on anything to treat the PCOS?
  • amyilene03
    amyilene03 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hair issues suck! I started taking Beyaz. Doc said that any of the Yaz products were always going to be best for acne problems and it has helped tremendously. Thank GOD! Those are probably the worst things I struggle with, hair and acne. Sucks :-(
  • dawnw30
    dawnw30 Posts: 270
    Options
    I tried Yaz and it cleared up my acne but I just spotted all month long so I quit taking it. Yes, PCOS causes a whole lotta crap...extra hair everywhere, acne, bad periods, weight gain, infertility (we overcame that one - see my ticker for my 5 little ones), food cravings etc....YAY for those of us who have it - NOT! :grumble: I am not on any meds currently but was told by my doc that soon I would have to do something. I have ended up in the hospital in terrible pain. A hysterectomy was suggested but does that really help 100% because you still have your ovaries?!? I guess it cuts down on the hormone release you get monthly so that should help. I don't know. I just know I am grumpy and frustrated at this point. I appreciate all of the responses and info everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • humblemonkey
    humblemonkey Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I was on Metformin but it was making me WICKED sick. So the doctor took me off... we were going to TTC last October, but we pushed it off til next year while we work on house, and i finish school. So I supposed I will have to back on it and suffer thru when the time comes. We miscarried in Sept of 2009 due to a cyst....didnt know that could happen but holy hell was that painful!!

I have thin hair thanks to Yaz....and it wont grown back despite being off it for 3 years!! i just LOVE having not enough hair on my head and extra everywhere else!! NOT:angry:
  • emiliewright
    emiliewright Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    BUMP...anyone have anything else to add? this is consuming me!