Eating calories back from workouts....

Options
I am having a hard time eating back the calories I burn from working out. It's not that I don't make time to do it I just don't feel hungry to eat snacks in between meals. Should I just force my self to eat something? I dont want to stop working out to stay good on my calories but don't know what to do....HELP!!!!

Replies

• dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    have a glass of milk. great way to get the calories and calcium and not feel like you have to eat
  • BettyandVeronica
    BettyandVeronica Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    You can have a healthy piece of fruit to help kickstart your metabolism.As long as it's healthy and nutritious, go for it.
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I never eat them back unless I'm just extra hungry that day and need a few.
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I eat *most* of mine back. Eat whatever you feel is good, just make sure its in your calories.
  • jsteras
    jsteras Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Try adding in some almonds, eggs. Will get you some good protein. Add a little extra to each meal since you know you will be burning it off.
  • LemonCitron
    LemonCitron Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Wow. I don't know how you guys stay full all the time. I'm always hungry. LOL. And I almost always eat back my exercise calories.
  • Megn_11
    Megn_11 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I try to NOT eat them back. As long as you are eating the right calories, such as a lot of veggies and some fruit, it's hard to go hungry in a day. And the closer you stick to the alotted calories (mine is 1200) yet burn half of that off in your workouts, the quicker you'll see results! Best of luck!
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    If you eat 1200 and burn off 600 and don't eat those back, then it's as if you only at 600. That's why MFP has you eat the calories back, because they already have a deficit built in for you. If your goal is 1200, you burn 500, you need to eat 1700 so that at the end of the day, your body has 1200 calories that it can actually absorb and use to fuel itself and function.

I eat around 2000 a day but with the amount I burn during exercise, I really only leave 1250 calories for my body to use and absorb. Of course you'll lose weight if you only eat 1200 and burn 600 because you're not feeding your body. Problem is, it's not healthy. Even if you never go back to eating a normal amount of calories, not feeding your body for so long still does damage. Nevermind if you do go back to eating a normal amount, you'll likely gain all the weight back. Not to mention when you're not feeding your body, you're not just losing fat, you're losing muscle because your body has to turn to itself for fuel.

I shoot for small meals with high but healthy calorie loads. All natural, whole wheat toast with all natural peanut butter, a banana and a glass of non-fat milk. Small amount of food for 400-500 calories. If you have protein shakes, mix in a tablespoon of olive oil (you don't taste it). It's good fat and 120 calories that can help you get to your goal.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I don't ever have a problem with this but a friend of mine has...one suggestion she was given is to eat "real" food instead of "diet" food. Instead of low fat yogurt or peanut butter, eat the real stuff. Instead of light bread, eat regular whole wheat/grain bread. Etc...