Recommended sugar levels on MFP

Options
So on the advice of another member, I started tracking sugar. Are the goals that MFP sets too low? It says that my goal is 24. If I eat a banana, I'm already way past 50%. That seems unrealistic. Am I missing something? Should I not be eating bananas?

Replies

• Jillk1023
    Jillk1023 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JanerZzz
    JanerZzz Posts: 276
    Options
    bump
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Depends on the source, to much of anything will turn to fat even fruits, but they have a much lower glycemic load on the body than what refined sugar does. So if its from fruits going over a bit is not terrible but try to gun for the fruits that have a lower glycemic index, keep refined or added sugar to an absolute minimum as well as any diet soda drinks, these are no better than the regular stuff.
  • proverbs31chick
    proverbs31chick Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Yeah I noticed that, the sugar level on here is VERY low. I would think that most people might go over on sugar if its set to 24 daily.
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I consider the sugar leves on MFP to be low, but ti does help me track naturally occuring sugars and processed sugars, the processed is what I am trying to stay away from.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I consider the sugar leves on MFP to be low, but ti does help me track naturally occuring sugars and processed sugars, the processed is what I am trying to stay away from.
    smart woman, natural is better by far, but once you get that down pat try to keep it lower.
  • VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    The link goes to another sugar discussion

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/205737-a-sugar-dilemma

This was a question I had when I first started. And if you run a search for sugar, you will see that a lot of other people also have concerns about the sugar. I did some research and most of what I found said anywhere from 8 - 10% of your calories can come from sugars (all types whether natural or added). Essentially sugar is sugar is sugar. The problems for me is that if you eat the recommended dairy, fruit, vegitables and whole grains, you will go over on the sugar. A glass of skim milk has 11-12 grams of sugar. Given the above I decided not to worry about sugar in fruits, dairy and vegies too much. Like the one posting said eat the whole grapefruit - don't drink the juice. I instead concentrate on avoiding foods with added sugar and I use very little added sugar when cooking etc. I also avoid soda and fruit juices (I will mix a little juice with plain soda water on occasion). That was my personal choice, anyone with a sugar issue would need to pay more attention to total sugar than I do. My HC1 and fasting blood sugar have both come down and are in the good range now. The math for 10% sugar basked on calories breaks down like this:

1200 calories, 10% = 120 calories = 30.0 g of sugar
    1300 calories, 10% = 130 calories = 32.5 g of sugar
    1400 calories, 10% = 140 calories = 35.0 g of sugar
    1500 calories, 10% = 150 calories = 37.5 g of sugar
    1600 calories, 10% = 160 calories = 40.0 g of sugar
    1700 calories, 10% = 170 calories = 42.5 g of sugar
    1800 calories, 10% = 180 calories = 45.0 g of sugar
    1900 calories, 10% = 190 calories = 47.5 g of sugar
    2000 calories, 10% = 200 calories = 50.0 g of sugar
    2100 calories, 10% = 210 calories = 52.5 g of sugar
    2200 calories, 10% = 220 calories = 55.0 g of sugar
    2300 calories, 10% = 230 calories = 57.5 g of sugar
    2400 calories, 10% = 240 calories = 60.0 g of sugar
  • nlc6899
    nlc6899 Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks for the great explanation. I have been avoiding refined sugars, so I was shocked when I went over the recommendation from MFP. I'll just keep avoiding the refined stuff and use the guidelines you suggested based on calories per day.
  • fishermanwife
    Options
    I thought it was low too but I dont stress over it anymore if I go over by 10 or even 20 especially if its from friut or something healthy I just remind myself that 30-50 sugar count is still good from where I started 600-800 sugar count eating all those candy bars and soda, I havent lost alot of weight yet but just lowering my sugar intake and going by what it tells me my calories should be I feel 10x better and not all slugish like Im in a coma.
  • VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I thought it was low too but I dont stress over it anymore if I go over by 10 or even 20 especially if its from friut or something healthy I just remind myself that 30-50 sugar count is still good from where I started 600-800 sugar count eating all those candy bars and soda, I havent lost alot of weight yet but just lowering my sugar intake and going by what it tells me my calories should be I feel 10x better and not all slugish like Im in a coma.

Way to go on getting that sugar down! It took me years to reduce mine to the 30-50 range. I can't drink a 12 ounce Coke anymore let alone have a Snickers with it like I did for years. That was my favorite afternoon snack - now it's fruti, yogart or some nuts. What a change we can make when we decide to do it.
  • fishermanwife
    Options
    thanks it is a struggle every day because my mind and cravings are telling me to eat lots of junk but my stomach is always full of good stuff and Im never really hungry I just need to retrain my brain which is evidently really stubborn lol
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    You need to figure out daily goals for your macros.
    carbs/protein/fats

As long as your food fits into those, you're okay.

The whole "don't worry about your sugar going over if it's from fruits" is silly. Your body doesn't care if you went 100 cals over because you ate a banana, or because you had half a bag of skittles. If it's over your caloric needs, it's gonna be stored as fat.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I think they are a bit low.. yesterday I went way over mine but thats because I had maple syrup on my waffles. If I didn't have that I would have only been like 3 over or something.

I've only started today and I'm already at 3 over... annoying? Yes.. Something that I'm going to worry about? not really.
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Thanks for al the info here. I was just thinking I really needed to make some changes regarding sugar. Yesterday I was way over due to a treat of a McD Frappe. But I am over everyday even if all I have are fruits and veggies. I try not to worry about it but its easier knowing that MFP sets it low anyway.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I was revising my goals today after reaching my first target. I changed the protein/fat/carbs ratios to 30/20/50, and while I was at it I upped the sugar to 35.

I always used to go over the daily sugar allowance, but I never stressed out too much about it.