Best protein bars....???

Options
Every single time I go to the supermarket, I find my way over to where their protein/energy bars are. They have sooooo many and being the indecisive person that I am, I can never decide on one, so I end up not buying any. Suggestions on which ones are the yummiest....??? :happy:

Replies

• stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Yummiest or best for you?

I either make my own or eat Think Thin bars, which are all natural with 0g sugar (I want a nutrient bar not a candy bar). And I dont' "do" artificial anything. Love the Peanut Butter ones!!!
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    I either make my own...

I don't believe you. I think you lie. The only way I will believe this is if you make with the recipe. ;-D
  • jerzypeach
    jerzypeach Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Well.....do you want yummy......or do you want effective? HAHAHAHA Seriously, most of the ones in the grocery store are no better nutritionally than the candy bars at the checkout counter.

The ones I found for purchase with the best nutrition profile are called 2:1. You can find them on Bodybuilding.com. They taste ok, but deliver the best amount of protein to carb and calorie ratio out of all the others I've tried over the years.

You can also make your own protein bars at home. It's much easier to control the ingredients and they taste pretty good. There are plenty of recipies on the web.

Good luck on your journey!
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I enjoy Pure Protein bars ~ 20 grams of protein, 180 cals, 2grams of sugar.

Chocolate peanut butter
    and
    Smore's

Are my favs...
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I really like pure protein bars they are great! Shakeology is even better, but it is not a bar (but very filling)
  • bbonney
    bbonney Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    All the new Power Bars are soooo yummy.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    That is the question... good tasting or effective?

I like power bars all the different varieties...

They have one that tastes just like a snickers... (its also high in sugar... go figure)

But the good old regular power bars are good too.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Zone Perfect and ThinkThin are my faves.
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I love Luna bars. They aren't protein bars, per se, but they do have a good amount of protein in them. My favorite flavor is Nutz Over Chocolate, and it has 180 calories, 6 grams of fat, 25 grams of carbs, and 9 grams of protein. Plus they don't feel like a brick in your belly - I hate the way energy bars feel so heavy, and most leave an icky after taste - but I do NOT feel this way about Luna - they are tasty.
  • MaryDreamer
    MaryDreamer Posts: 439
    Options
    Well I don't like the Pure Protein or Think Thin cuz they don't taste good but they're low in sugar. The bars I like are high in sugar, Clif and Snickers Marathon etc. Pick your poison! I'm sticking with Pure Protein though I think. Better to be effective than enjoyable
  • tamiller93
    tamiller93 Posts: 195
    Options
    I enjoy Pure Protein bars ~ 20 grams of protein, 180 cals, 2grams of sugar.

Chocolate peanut butter
    and
    Smore's

Are my favs...

This is what I get as well. My favorite flavor is the Chocolate Deluxe. I tried the Blueberry Crumb and it was awful.
  • jrusso28
    jrusso28 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    OK, this might be a really stupid question, but why do I need a protein bar, or protein shake for in the first place?
    I love protein bars, but not sure I should be eating them as I would rather save my calories for my meals.
    Is the recommended protein target on MFP too low? cause I seem to hit it or come darn close with my normal foods.
  • LadyT02182011
    Options
    I love the Chocolite Protein Bars which I order from dietdirect.com. They have lots of protein and fiber and low on carbs. They taste great and I don't usually like protein bars.
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    OK, this might be a really stupid question, but why do I need a protein bar, or protein shake for in the first place?
    I love protein bars, but not sure I should be eating them as I would rather save my calories for my meals.
    Is the recommended protein target on MFP too low? cause I seem to hit it or come darn close with my normal foods.

Personally (I don't know about the original poster) I eat more in snacks throughout the day than I do for meals. It keeps my hunger at bay and I'm not ravenously overeating at mealtime. I'm still under my daily goal, and it's good to pick snacks that provide nutritional value. That being said, please don't look at my snacks for the past two days that include baked chips and dark chocolate. Um....TOM. :-/
  • ladonne73
    ladonne73 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I understand that some are of more nutritional value than "yummy" value...lol. But I'm sorry - I need the yum factor as well as!! It would be nice to get one with a nice balance of both! :indifferent:
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    the oatmeal protein bars from gnc are good. you heat em in the microwave for about 10 seconds and they are really good, and the are about 30g protein
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,431 Member
    Options
    I use 2 mostly as an on-the-go snack. They are high in sugar, but I like the way they taste and they are filling. Clif peanut butter chocolate chip (only flavor I like) and Supreme Protein Carb Conscious peanut butter. I freeze the supreme protein bars and they do taste like a candy bar but have a little more nutrition than a Snickers and don't leave me craving sweets the rest of the day.
  • shidey
    shidey Posts: 1
    Options
    Definitely either ThinkThin or Larabar
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options

I do think it's too low. My custom goals are 1g protein per pound of lean body weight (which is 100+ for me). Sometimes I need help reaching that. And I rush out the door in the morning, so often grab a protein bar as breakfast. Real, whole food is best, but a healthy bar is better than skipping breakfast (which I did for 30+ years).
  • portlandsundevil
    portlandsundevil Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I love love love the peanut butter cookie Lara bars. And there's like only 2 or 3 ingredients in them. Not technically protein bars per se, but they have 7 grams in them.