Obsessing over it : (

Options
2»

Replies

• ajax03
    ajax03 Posts: 96
    Options
    I agree with the previous posters. You don't have much to lose. Besides, slower may be better if you intend for your weight loss to be PERMANENT (as many of us, I'm sure!)

I've learned along the way, allow yourself to have some things you still enjoy. I'm also learning that the way we view food is a lot of times, mental. Banning or fibbiding any food just makes me want it more. So, on occasion, I'll allow myself to have some of the "bad" foods I enjoy. I just know now that I'd better plan for it (i.e. exercise and continue to eat right).

You're on the right track! Instead of obsessing, celebrate the fact that you conciously considered what you were eating (instead of mindlessly munchin' for your 2:00p pick-me-up....to me, THAT'S a NSV in and of itself!) :wink:
  • erika247
    erika247 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am very much like this too. I work out a lot and when I work out I don't want to eat as much. Does that make sense? But honey I can binge on some sugar free cookies which is not even close to being good for you.

Mostly it's best not to compare yourself to others. We are all different but yes some of us have plenty in common as to make us all feel less alone.

If you think about it.....next time someone comes to work with donuts or anything tempting....think about this now you have to type that in and then feel guilty about it.

Exercise is the spark food is the fuel so make them both worthy of you because you are worth it!

:)
  • equustel
    equustel Posts: 1
    Options
    Honestly, it is not healthy the way you're sister's doing it. Your body needs fuel. It needs a balanced diet. Contrary to popular belief, eating nothing but vegetables is not going to give your body what it needs to go at full power.

If you slip and "treat yourself" sometimes, definitely DON'T beat yourself up over it! When I just can't resist having something calorific that I love, this is what I do:

1) Limit my portion of that food item to 1 serving
    2) Make up for it through exercise later in the day
    3) Make up for it the next day by eating even better

As long as you are reasonable about it, you shouldn't have any problems eating what you crave every once in awhile.

It's all a balance. It's not about starving yourself or refusing yourself all the tasty things in the world. In my experience, it's just about sticking to modest portion sizes and staying relatively active - whether that's taking a walk on your lunch break, a quick bike ride when you get home, or some sit-ups and home exercise sometime in the evening.
  • msjackson1019
    msjackson1019 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Now...I think you already know the answer to this question. But, there is some truth to the old saying that "Slow and steady wins the race". In the tortoise and the hare story, we on MFP are the tortoises. We are much more likely to reach and stay at our long term goals because what we are doing is more realistic. The crash dieting "hares" are the ones who will end up "taking a nap" (i.e. giving up on the diet) in the middle of the race and end up not even finishing it at all. Even if they do reach their goal, they'll end up right back where they were because their diet didn't change long term. No one can eat only lettuce and broccoli for the rest of their lives and eventually your sister is going to slip up and feel like a failure and may give up on her plan all together. Meanwhile, you will keep with it because you know that it's actually the occasional slips that make your plan more realistic and easier to maintain over the long term. You have to be willing to allow yourself the occasional treat and just do your best to burn off the extra calories when you can. For most people, that's the only way they will ever stick with a diet change long term.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'd agree that the way you're doing it is way healthier than your sister's crash dieting. I've been there,done that and found it never works. Sure the pounds come off but once you start eating normal again, they come right back on, and then some. This time around what I've found really works is allowing myself to have those things I want, just learning to have them in reasonable portions. So, like that biscotti that you really wanted - you eat it, you track it and maybe you exercise for an extra 10 minutes today or tomorrow to burn the extra calories. It all works out in the end.

Posible spoiler for Biggest Loser watchers ahead!!

I was so happy when Jillian talked about just this topic with Rulan last night. He was binge eating junk food because he felt deprived and wanted a treat for his hard work. And instead of telling him no, do do that - she said, ok, so let's figure out a way for you to still have those treats but figure out how you can incorporate them into your diet without killing all the work you've done. Yay!!!
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    I am still under calorie allowance but I am at work and someone brought in biscotti's and of course I had to have one. Was not even that hungry but it was the 2:00 get me through food. Uggh. I just wish I had will power like other people I know. My sister is dieting also and she is on a very strict diet. Hardly eats anything at all .. I know she does not eat her calorie allowance or even close.. but she has lost 10 lbs in 2 wks.. So question.. who is doing this right.. me who is following the food tracker and exercise tracker and trying to be within calorie allowance or her - the crash dieter? Now I have not been perfect since starting.. granted a few weekend slips.. mainly too many beverages., but I truly have tried to watch and exercise as much as I have time for. I have been going to gym / walking at least 4 days a week.. Is this enough? Or should I be on the " I am not eating anything but lettuce / broccoli or whatever does not have calories diet too??? Is that really healthy? I need to buy a scale next week. I do not have one, so to be honest.. don't know if I have lost or not.

I'm not going to put down your sister so that you can feel better about your slip-ups. Doing that is doing you no justice. You can't say that you wish you had will power and then go on to say that the people with will power are all crash dieters. That's not fair, is it? :-) When you point a finger you are always pointing three back at yourself.

This will be your downfall. Not your diet. Understand the logic? You point out the things that you feel are wrong about your own diet and my hat is off to you for that. But then instead of asking for help or ideas to overcome those flaws you take your mind off of it by watching what other people do. You should always be your main focus.

Although, maybe you do get it judging by the title of the thread. You're very smart and self-aware. Just don't outsmart yourself. :-) *hugs*