so i always go over on sugar

Options
it doesn't matter how healthy of a day i'm having, i ALWAYS go over on sugar. sometimes by 4 grams and sometimes 24. i dont know what to think anymore. sugar just hides in everything. and in the past week i've convinced myself that i'll be a diabetic in 5 yrs if this doesn't stop.

is anyone else having similar problems?

or does anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• beccafertig
    beccafertig Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If you make your dairy public, you can get lots of great input!
  • cjnorman
    cjnorman Posts: 93
    Options
    I have just done a nearly zero sugar diet to kill yeast in my intestines. If you open your dairy or friend me I might be able to help.
  • jodimitchell
    jodimitchell Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    im having the same problem...
  • jodimitchell
    jodimitchell Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    im having the same problem...

If im going to hit my 1200 (or more if i workout) than im going to be over on sugar and protien.
  • ajax03
    ajax03 Posts: 96
    Options
    bump ...curious to see posts
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Is it fruit? If it is I think it might be okay to go over on that.
  • HollyMcCaw
    HollyMcCaw Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem too...but it's always from fruit. So I don't sweat it too much... I'm not going to feel guilty for eating a banana :)
  • thisis4me
    thisis4me Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Bump....I am curious what others say!! I have the same problem at times although most of the times it is the veggies and fruits that take me over!!
  • sylvia1970
    sylvia1970 Posts: 134
    Options
    buy low fat rather than fat free as fat free foods have lots of sugar in them.
  • DuKristin
    DuKristin Posts: 10
    Options
    Personally, I think it all depends on the types of sugar you are consuming. If it's natural sugars, such as those found in fruits and vegetables (fructose and glucose) then I think it's okay to be over and it can't quite be helped. BUT if it's sucrose, high fructose corn syrups and the like then I'd say you need to start taking a hard look at what you're eating and drastically get it under control.
  • fluffykitsune
    fluffykitsune Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Just be grateful that MFP gives you 5 - 10 extra sugars on the days you work out! :laugh: Now theres a motive.
  • JamieWILLBEFIT
    JamieWILLBEFIT Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    you would think mfp would take fruit into account. there should be a seperate ticker for healthy sugar. bc thats just what i'm gonna call it from now on, healthy sugar. at least that makes me feel better
  • katyyy1
    katyyy1 Posts: 6
    Options
    I don't count the sugar in fruit, only in "bad" stuff. I figure the natural fruit sugar isn't bad for you since 1 apple can send me over my sugar limit for the day!
  • carol7323
    carol7323 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I read recently that most calorie trackers don't identify the difference between natural suar & added sugar in foods. I would recommend that you limit the items with added sugar. And don't feel guilty about eating natural foods that have sugar. Just like protein, carbs & good fat, your body needs some sugar to function.

Hope that helps some.
  • Karyannie
    Options
    It is a good idea to be mindful of your sugar intake, however your numbers are not too bad. Diabetes does not come from the sugar in your diet. Diabetes is the result of ineffective insulin production (Type 1) or the body's ineffective response to it (Type 2). Diet is not a risk factor for Type 1. Type 2 happens when your body cannot use the insulin it produces. Fat cells are insulin resistant, therefore over-weight and obesity are risk factors for Type 2 diabetes.....why people with pre-diabetes and diabetes are encouraged to lose weight.
    The only tie to sugar in your diet that diabetes has is - high dietary intake of sugar = high calories. Excess calories = excess weight. Excess weight = increased risk for diabetes type 2.

So, don't beat yourself up over your small amount of extra sugar, if the content of your overall diet is high in nutrition, low in empty calories and within your overall recommended calorie intake.

Your risk of diabetes decreases as you approach and maintain a healthy body weight. So, keep up the good work.:smile:
  • cjnorman
    cjnorman Posts: 93
    Options
    I would look for cereals that are lower in sugar. Also remember to look at the serving size. 10g in a 1.5 cup serving is actually lower in sugar than 6 g in a .75 cup (12 g in 1.5 cups). When I started eating less sugar breakfast was the big challenge. You can easily eat half your a lotted sugar before lunch if you aren't careful.

If you search for breakfast on the message board most of the discussions are about more protein and less sugar. It isn't easy.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/161537-medium-calorie-low-sugar-breakfast-ideas?hl=breakfast#posts-2157546
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/138522-recipe-for-freezable-protein-breakfast?hl=breakfast&page=1#posts-1886481
  • 1FITmamaofTWINS
    Options
    i'm gonna try and make this easy to understand........ sugars boost insulin levels.... high insulin levels help the body hold on to fat..

natural sugars (fruit) might be better than surgar from perhaps ice cream, etc.... but they are still sugar and should be kept to a couple cups a day.

it's very simple to just read the nutrition levels on things... like for oatmeal, buy regular oats not the flavored kind which contains loads of sugar.... and fruit juices... ditch those as well....

just because it sounds healthy doesnt mean it is... do your research and take a min to read what you are puting in your body