Pre Run Food

Options
I'm currently doing the Couch to 5K program and have noticed that some days I feel great during the workout and other days I can barely finish the routine. I'm thinking it might have something to do with what I eat or don't eat before hand. What do you like to eat before a run, and how long do you wait after eating before running? Do you eat after a run too?

Replies

• reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • LG2789
    LG2789 Posts: 20
    Options
    i like a banana plus sometimes half of a wheat english muffin with peanut butter or honey on top.

if i eat a snack like that, i can run within 10 minutes, but heavier foods require more wait time for me.
  • ftoddw
    ftoddw Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Depends on how far I'm running and how long before the run I'm eating. Half banana is all I need sometimes. Sometimes I smear it with PB, sometimes I smash a cliff bar flat and spread it with PB and then add the banana. Oatmeal w./protein powder is good if you let it settle, yogurt is also good.
  • bebababy
    bebababy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    hey! so cool i am doing the couch to 5k as well. i get these little emails each week about goals. i have restarted twice because i got so sick i was in the bed for days! you should eat a carb like oatmeal or rice before you workout. i eat breakfast egg whites and oatmeal if i am working out right after. wait for like 30 minutes if it's small meal an hour if it's one of hour larger meals of the day. you don't want to feel full and sluggish while trying to run. what i know doesn't work is not eating at all or not eating a carb. i usually feel like i want to pass out before i even finish running the first 5 minutes.

what couch to 5k program do u utilize? good luck!!!
  • Cmydob
    Cmydob Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If I run in the morning, then I don't eat before a run unless it is longer than 15 miles and then I will eat a little oatmeal or a banana.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I always make sure i have something in my tummy at least 2 hours before the run and i eat right after runs too. Usually, I'll have a protein shake 2 hrs before since it takes the protein 1.5 hours to be ready for muscle recovery use. Especially after long runs, this shake helps with muscle fatigue since it is low in carbs (4 g) and high in protein (24 g) and 130 calories total. After the run, I'll eat whatever scheduled meal it is. When my run exceeds 1.5 hours, I'll eat energy chews (cliff shot blacks) every half hour or so.
  • GinjaNinja1
    GinjaNinja1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Try some trail mix. Try not to eat 45 minutes before the run. Keep track of how much water you have consumed before each run as well. Some days you may be more dehydrated and that can have an effect on your energy levels.
  • forkeeps
    forkeeps Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Well, I did a "long run" one Saturday (4 miles took an hour) and learned the hard way that chicken and cheese on sourdough is NOT a good pre-run meal! ;-) I run in the evenings during the week so I will eat my regular dinner then run about 1.5 hours later. I drink milk with a little ovaltene in it afterward. The coldness feels SOOOO good when I'm all hot a sweaty. My long runs I do on Saturday in the mornings so I eat a whole grain hot cereal with a little almond butter in it about an hour before my run and again milk or a protein shake afterward.
  • SavBrookeS
    SavBrookeS Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!