Binging problem

Options
Hi,

So I have a problem with binging.

Before going to college, I would count calories but eat whatever I wanted and I would hardly binge. I was able to keep my weight despite the fact that I never exercised.

However, after coming to college, I have been gaining a lot of weight so I decided to get on this website and make a 500 calorie deficit each day so I will lose 1 pound a week. Additionally, I go the gym (5 times a week.. at least I try) and usually burn about 500 calories.

I was good for like a couple of days but I started to binge a lot. When I do binge, I usually compensate by not eating a meal or something and go to the gym so I have luckily been under my calorie goal by like 100 calories so far. However, sometimes I cannot compensate enough and go over my calorie goal by 200 calories.

I don't want to binge anymore and I don't want to keep worrying about this. Are there any suggestions for me to stop binging? Why do I binge?? I am 5'3" and weigh 129 pounds right now.

Replies

• meggiemaye
    meggiemaye Posts: 117
    Options
    I recently read a book called "Crave: Why You Binge And How To Stop."

It was absolutely full of information...it actually made me realize that I don't fit the eating disorder qualification of binge eating, I'm more of an overeater or a stress eater, but it's a testament to the book that it gave me enough examples that I could tell the difference.

You should definitely check the book out; I found mine at my local public library, or here it is on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Crave-Why-You-Binge-Stop/dp/0802717101
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    as i mention on here before OA will be your best friend we binge cuzwe have noone to vomit are feelings too. we stay in a surface world so yea that makes sense but OA is free try it out youll be surprise what you learn about yourself
  • seleck05
    seleck05 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    First off, I wouldn't be so concerned about your weight because you are a healthy weight now! But as for the binging, I would bet you feel the desire to binge because the rest of the days you are not eating enough! MFP builds the 500 cal per day deficit for you (which by the way is a lb a week/not per day if that's what you have it set to). Then, if you are exercising 5 days per week and burning an additional 500 cals and not eating those cals you are STARVING! So that is probably why you feel like binging.
  • ykondo
    ykondo Posts: 38
    Options
    Thanks for the book suggestion. I will check it out!!

What's OA?
  • ykondo
    ykondo Posts: 38
    Options
    Oh duh! I meant 1 pound a week... yes :P

I am eating the exercise calories back though... I make sure my net calories are 1200 - 1300... but I still binge.. and considering my height, I think it's enough for me.

Maybe I am not eating enough... how would I lose weight then?
  • glendaaus
    glendaaus Posts: 27
    Options
    Don't feel alone, it's a very common problem. I learnt crazy night time eating from my mother - I can be perfect all day - but at night (before bed) I can go wild. I am now pretty much "cured" - I just have to do other things in the night - sometimes I just go to bed and that stops me eating.

There are alot of good books out there on the subject, I did read a good one about "love hunger" which really spoke to my situation.

Maybe just come on here when you feel the urge to binge and get some support.
  • kristanickerson
    kristanickerson Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I find when I start binging it's because I am not keeping my calories steady during the day...I dont' know what you do now but, based on 1200 cals a day (which is really quite manageable, if you're eating less you might not be eating enough) you could try eating 3 meals under 400 cals and save whatever calories you have left over for a couple of snacks in between. Make sure you eat enough fat and natural sugar as well or you may end up craving it way more if you don't. And definitly eat your exercise calories. Even though you want to lose weight you still need to fuel your body, you won't feel the need to binge if you even it out and eat enough.
  • tam8374
    tam8374 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    What's OA?

OA is overeaters anonymous. Most groups meet in a church. You can look online and find locations near you. Just google Overeaters Anonymous.
  • katietigar
    Options
    Several good suggestions - the book, OA, eating within MFP goals. I would look and see if you can identify foods that lead to binging. For me that is refined carbohydrates, diet soda (and most foods with artificial sweetners), chips, salted nuts, and sometimes popcorn. I also have that experience of binging if I don't eat most of my calories. I would exercise 600 calories and not eat them that day and then the next day literally be starving and end up eating too much of the wrong food. Funny, but I have never binged on whole raw apples :)
  • rohdemailbox
    Options
    Katie, check out the following website, it was sent to me through another my fitness pal friend:
    http://www.hungry-girl.com/