Biggest Loser: what do you think when you watch it?

Options
Onesnap
Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
I used to watch Biggest Loser at my old gym. Quite honestly, it made me run faster and workout harder. Last night I caught a few minutes of the show for the first time in over a year. I really walked away from there feeling the passion and drive from that girl that got voted off. Did you see last night's episode? It also made me feel like a bit of a loser myself because I'm not really trying *hard* enough to make a difference in my weight. I take 2 steps forward and 2 steps back constantly. :(

I'm at the heaviest weight of my life. Mind you, I'm not overweight in medical terms. My doctor is not even concerned. The truth is I lost 20 lbs in 2004 and gained it all back VERY quickly last fall. I just really want to get down a size to where I'm comfortable and then use MFP to maintain that weight. Even though I'm the fattest I've ever been I'm also in great shape. So it's a tough one from where I sit.

I eat super healthy (I even grow my own veggies!). I get a lot of outdoor time year-round. So I'm doing everything *right*. I just need to get the workplace eating under control (free food!!) and the work travel food choices under control. If I can harness those two things I think the weight will get also under control again.

What does the Biggest Loser make you think of when you watch it? I also remember liking that show 'Ruby'. Remember that one? What a sweet woman. :) Do you also travel for work and find it hard to stay on track with both diet and exercise?

Replies

• kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Hi,

This is the post I made last night as I finished watching Biggest Loser -- Courtney is AWESOME!!!!

Am just finishing watching the Biggest Loser, and as Courtney was leaving tonight, she made the statement that if there was one message she wanted to give to everyone who watches the show, it is that "You do not need to come to the Biggest Loser to lose weight. All you have to do is believe in yourself, trust the process, and take this journey one day at a time. Don't sit on the couch and watch the show anymore and watch all of us change our lives. Get up and do something for you. You can do it too, you really can, just believe in you and you will do it."

This coming from someone who has lost over 200 pounds total (she began at 435 pounds), and 113 on BL. What an inspiration for all of us.

She's definitely beautiful, inside and out.:smile:

NEW AGAIN: I didn't watch the first couple of seasons of BL.....this was before I lost weight, and I thought, "How can a show that makes fun of overweight people be a good show?" And then I actually watched it one night, instead of letting the name of the show influence me.....and IMMEDIATELY became hooked. If I can't watch it as it airs, I tape it or catch it online the following day. I usually spend at least a part of that time on my treadmill if I haven't already walked several miles that day.

I am also very interested in watching Rulon Gardner's progress this year. As a Nebraskan, watching this former Husker and Olympic wrestler struggle and admit his difficulties with wanting to reward himself, has been a joy.

I think all of these individuals, who are overcoming such weight issues, are inspirational.....I know there has been some backlash in the media from contestants from other seasons claiming "starvation and dehydration" as issues, and perhaps from time to time there are those issues. But, the contestants are CHOOSING to be (and stay) there, trying to make LIFEstyle changes.

Kaye
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I always wish they would show more of the contestants' eating habits, how they go about a day on the ranch etc. I'm curious about what kind of calorie deficits they are working with, what their daily calorie goals are, what they're eating. Everyone knows that losing weight is not just about exercise but the show sure can make it seem that way. They often seem surprised with the numbers (good or bad) but if you're counting calories and working out shouldn't you at least have some idea of how the weigh-in will go?

On a side note, I was very sad to see Courtney go home this week. She has a wonderful, inspiring attitude. It can be easy to get into the "poor me's" or the "I cant's" but she never did, never once complained.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Awww, thanks everyone for your replies on my post. :)
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Thank you, amuhlou. I agree!
  • Pisces42
    Pisces42 Posts: 12
    Options
    I love watching the biggest loser it inspires me and then last night I had a revelation. I have watched the show for at least 8 seasons.. (something like that).. I can't believe so much time has passed and I still struggle to stay committed. Courtney was such an inspiration and to watch her journey has been awesome.
    I am much like you.. I am also "fit".. have been a dance teacher for 20+ years. Have been up 20 down 20. You know the cycle. I am in need of loosing about 40 - 50 lbs. right now but can still teach classes, do zumba and be physical. I am NOT however fooling myself. I feel the vision of myself in my head is not what I see when I look in the mirror. I need help getting there and need to not sabotage myself when I have minor successes. I will continue to watch the show and continue to move along my lifestyle path. One step at a time.:)
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Thank you, Pisces42, you lifted my spirits a bit!
  • MissKMN
    MissKMN Posts: 119
    Options
    I'm with you - I hadn't watched the show in quite a few seasons. The last time I watched it was probably 3-4 years ago which was my last great push to lose the weight and get in the gym. I caught about 2/3 of the show last night and I was immediately hooked and inspired again. Courtney was a HUGE motivation! So were their trainers. Just watching their transformations and how hard they work out, and how much they are able to do just weeks later - it was phenomenal. I hope that her story in particular gets out - her friend made a comment about how Courtney will change the world and I think it's true. She's changed me at least.

It's that whole - if they can do it, I can do it mentality.

I also watched the first part of that new program, Addicted to Food. It wasn't nearly as good as I had hoped. All this time I thought I had a problem with compulsive overeating and maybe I do, but now after seeing some of those people I rather think I was just lazy and had my priorities messed up!