Why am I so hungry?

Options
I've been steadily losing weight since January and have, with very few exception, not had any problems staying within my calories. I've not really been hungry. I'm actually eating more, but better, food than I have in the past. I exercise a lot and I do eat most of my exercise calories. I'm generally within a couple hundred calories of my goal.

For some reason over the last few weeks I'm having a harder time feeling satisfied and keep wanting more food. Last night and today I am STARVING. I am so hungry and I just don't know why.

I haven't changed my diet. I'm still eating the same kinds of foods. I get plenty of lean protein and fruits and vegetables. Thank goodness, this hasn't been going on the whole time!!!

Any ideas out there? Has anyone else experienced this? I'm desperate for some ideas.

Replies

• lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I've been steadily losing weight since January and have, with very few exception, not had any problems staying within my calories. I've not really been hungry. I'm actually eating more, but better, food than I have in the past. I exercise a lot and I do eat most of my exercise calories. I'm generally within a couple hundred calories of my goal.

For some reason over the last few weeks I'm having a harder time feeling satisfied and keep wanting more food. Last night and today I am STARVING. I am so hungry and I just don't know why.

I haven't changed my diet. I'm still eating the same kinds of foods. I get plenty of lean protein and fruits and vegetables. Thank goodness, this hasn't been going on the whole time!!!

Any ideas out there? Has anyone else experienced this? I'm desperate for some ideas.
  • kris2600
    kris2600 Posts: 149
    Options
    I read that eating a pretty big breakfast will help. I go through the exact same thing every once in a while but havent really found a way to fix it. I can say that there were days where I gave in and went way over my calorie intake (by 1000 or more) and I still obtained my goal weight and have maintained it for around 4 months
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Have you had your body fat % checked? I recently had mine done at the gym, and apparently, the higher your lean body mass, the higher your BMR.

The calculator here says my BMR is the neighborhood of 1300, but factoring in my muscle mass, it's actually closer to 1600.

Just something to check if you have the means.:flowerforyou:
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Another thing might be that you are close to you time of the month, the hormonal swings do a number on me for about 2 days I could eat everything in sight. I give myself a little extra on calories for those 2 days, eat chocolate pudding (low cal and low fat) or some light ice cream. That works for me...
    I also agree with viviakay it might be your muscle mass is increasing and you need more because you burn more?
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Yea, hormone swings could definitely be a factor for the last few days. I do wonder about the BMI/BMR index. I've gained a lot more muscle mass than I had before but the calculations simply go on weight and height. How do I get a more accurate number?
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    At my gym, they hooked me up to a machine that measured my body mass, and did some extra calculation to get my BMR. Since I've adjusted because of it, I'm losing body fat again (I was at a standstill).

Ask at your gym, but then you might call around to college kinesiology departments and see if they do "Resting Metabolic Rate" testing if your gym can't do it.

I'm sure there must be some kind of formula to do it with on your own, but I have no idea.
  • FUZZBUZZ4
    FUZZBUZZ4 Posts: 334
    Options
    i feel the exact same way! for the past 2 weeks i have been STARVING!!!! i m scared what this will do to the weight loss! not eating any bad foods or anything but i am eating to the point of being really satissfied and i dont know why i need to eat a lot now to be satisified I DONT GET IT!