Weird banana question...

Options
It seems like I can only eat bananas as the first thing every morning. For the past two days I've had bananas just after my lunch salads and they've given me terrible terrible stomachaches. I feel like there are knives poking into my stomach and am slightly nauseous. Could there be any reason for this?

(just FYI I've eaten a smoothie, bagel, salad, and banana today)

Replies

• Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I have friend that was a power lifter and he ate ahuge amounts of bananas until they started causing severe stomach cramps and now he can't have them at all. Some kind of allergy that he developed.
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Is it possible there is a problem with the bunch of bananas you bought this week? You could try a banana from a fresh bunch. Or wait a week and see if you have the problem again.
  • kattermelon
    Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with them! I could try a fresh bunch though :)

Thanks for responding, guys! I posted this question on Livestrong.com and someone yelled at me saying "THE FORUM IS NOT FOR MEDICAL ADVICE. Go talk to your doctor!" Rude.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I cant eat bananas at all for that reason,I have no idea what causes it. The same thing happened with eggs i used to be able to eat them now they give me really bad stomache aches.
    i miss eggs:sad:
  • PinkAndSparkle
    Options
    Sometimes bananas give me really bad heartburn. Maybe it's because of the acid? Does anything else make you feel that way?
  • br0wnie
    br0wnie Posts: 2
    Options
    Wow the exact same thing happens to me with bananas and spinach too!!
  • colo_ii
    colo_ii Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Might be gas.
  • EZGruv
    EZGruv Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Bananas kill my stomach, so does lemonade. No explanation, that's just the way it is!
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere today--maybe on Yahoo News?-- that you should only eat fruit--including Banannas--on an empty stomach due to the fact that they start to decay when other food is in the stomach and they can't pass through quickly enough.That causes bad stomach problems like gas and bloating. Not sure if I believe that, but it might be worth checking in to.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    OK, it might be best to disregard my last post. :grumble:
    I went back to try to find where I read the "Article" and I suspect that I was quoting an e-mail that was forwarded to me. I doubt that there was a word of truth in it at all
    .:angry: Next time I will check my sources BEFORE I post something here.
  • djthom
    djthom Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    The same thing happens to me when I eat avacardos and nuts. Have never had any allergies and these are a couple of my favorite foods, but I can't eat them anymore.:sad:
  • Bullitt4424
    Options
    Same thing happened to my Wife almost 23 years ago.:blushing: Our son just turned 22 and will be graduating college next month!
  • peepocheck
    peepocheck Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I know this also may sound weird but bananas give you potassium. Maybe you have an issue with potassium. I do know that not having enough potassium in you will cause you to get leg & muscle cramps. But I don't know about too much. How many do you eat at a time? And are they ripe or overripe? Another thing about bananas (although unrelated) is that they're good for you when they're just ripe or a little underripe; but when ripe they're bad for you because they cause fermentation in your stomach. Maybe that's not so unrelated after all.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    It seems like I can only eat bananas as the first thing every morning. For the past two days I've had bananas just after my lunch salads and they've given me terrible terrible stomachaches. I feel like there are knives poking into my stomach and am slightly nauseous. Could there be any reason for this?

(just FYI I've eaten a smoothie, bagel, salad, and banana today)

I can't eat them by themselves with out getting the stomach pains. I have to have them with a protein like peanut butter.
  • jenmac82005
    Options
    bananas make me feel acidic too....ugh..
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
  • Janworkingitout
    Janworkingitout Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I love bananas, but they make me feel really full and bloated. Of course, that's working to my advantage right now, so no complaint here!
  • tessjordan88
    tessjordan88 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Could be the salad? If I have too much lettuce, I get sharp pains in my stomach, so I keep my salads light on the greens and heavy on the tomatoes & veggies. But a friend of mine has a little boy that can't eat anything with bananas in it at all, because of stomach pains and throwing up. Could be either, or a combination of both. You can develop an allergy to something even if you have tolerated it well for all your life though. Sounds weird, but my mom-in-law developed an allergy to garlic. She has eaten it for all her life, until about 3 years ago, when she started getting severe headaches every time she ate anything garlic-y. Hope you figure it out!
  • tooters143
    tooters143 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sometimes if I eat light throughout the day and eat something more dense, like a banana, I will get the poking feeling in my stomach as well. I just try and drink lots of water and at some point it goes away.
  • c4t2001
    c4t2001 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have this problem . . . sometimes, so I don't think it's an allergy. It started at 17 one time when I ate one on an empty stomach. Such awful cramps, clammy and queasy until I threw it up. It happens periodically though - I'm going through a phase where I can eat them now. Interestingly over the years I have come across other times when I have this pain when I've not eaten banana and I'm not sure what it is. Undercooked peppers sometimes do it too. I've read bananas are hard to digest due to their potassium content but I can't figure out why I only have a problem occasionally???