Hatha Yoga??

Options
I'm taking Hatha Yoga at our gym today for the first time and I am SO nervous. I've only done the P90X (Vinyasa) yoga at home which is pretty difficult, and it sounds like this might be a little more "basic" but I've never actually taken a yoga class before. Can anyone give me any advice to not feel anxious, and about what to expect?? Many thanks!

Replies

• paigemang♥
    Options
    Hatha is just basic stretching yoga, you will be fine. Just do what you can and remember to breathe :happy:
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I go to a yoga class not sure if its Hatha....I love it. The instructor is always very patient...The music and candles are awesome. Room is dark so no one is really looking at anyone else. Just gives me a time to focus on me, & my body. Feels so good when I am done no matter how easy or hard it is. Enjoy it :)
  • mangorabbit
    mangorabbit Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Breathe.

And if it is your first time there, usually instructors are pretty good about making sure you understand what they are asking you to do. Don't stress, and have fun!
    ^_^
  • valligator
    valligator Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Don't feel anxious at all! It's my favorite workout all week. I wish I could do it every day. It can be challenging, but I feel so good afterwards. Try to relax and enjoy it! It's a lot of stretching and then in my class there's about 20-30 minutes of challenging strength (planks, Warrior poses, things like that). Just go at your own pace. Have fun!
  • melischemitz
    melischemitz Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Oh good, thank you!!! I need some good stretching!
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Unless noted by the studio, your Hatha class should be pretty mellow. Lots of stretching, breathing exercises/focus, sun salutation poses/postures, possible meditation, etc... If the class description says 'power', then expect a more strenuous version with vinyasa. You are always allowed (even encourages) to modify the posture to suit how your body is feeling that day. I bet you will LOVE it! Yoga can be very powerful - for the body and the mind. Good luck!
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    P90x yoga is not real yoga. It's an aerobic workout. There are NO pushups in yoga. If you can do that, you'll be fine in your class
  • popsicle33
    popsicle33 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    They are pretty different types of yogas. Vinyasa is more like ashtanga, a flow and aerobic typs. Hatha is "physical" toning and stretching and you tend to hold certain poses longer. I think there is a yoga entry in the MFP exercise database, although I am a bit leery of how you calculate calories burned for yoga!

I like it all; they offer different benefits. Have you ever tried YogaZone? They have a series out that combines the benefits of Hatha, Ashtanga and Tantric yogas, so it's hot, flowing and also stretching/toning. I've been using them for years.
    Amy from Albuquerque
  • melischemitz
    melischemitz Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    We belong to Lifetime Fitness, and they have a few different yoga classes. Hot yoga (don't think I could handle that), Hatha which I'm trying tonight, Vinyasa, and Vinyasa 2-3, Pilates-Yoga Fusion, Warrior Fusion, Lifepower Vinyasa, Athletic Yoga... I'm thinking the Hatha is a good jumping off point...
  • brazilian27
    Options
    I love yoga....I try to do at least once or twice a week... I was very nervous at my first class too...lol I do power yoga which is very beneficial for me :)