Working out TOO much? Is there such a thing?

Options
1113cw
1113cw Posts: 830 Member
I usually hit the gym 6, sometimes all 7 days a week and do about 3-4 miles on the treadmill each day (combo of brisk walking/jogging). Then another 2-3 times a week, wherever I cam fit it I'll fit in about 30 min of pilates, yoga or strength training.

Someone told me this is way too much and I should take at least 2 days a week off completely.

Thoughts everyone?

Replies

• debbyrae3
    debbyrae3 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound bad to me.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    It sounds like too much cardio to me, personally.

I do probably 2 HIIT sessions a week (15 min each) then a day of steady state cardio, like jogging, for 20-25 minutes. I focus most of my time on weight training. I do take off Sunday always, and most of the time Saturday.
  • captainlindarg
    captainlindarg Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're kicking *kitten*!
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    2 days rest is good, or at least go really easy on those 2 days. Your body/muscles need time to recover.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    2 days rest is good, or at least go really easy on those 2 days. Your body/muscles need time to recover.
  • h0p3
    h0p3 Posts: 15
    Options
    I was thinking the exact same thing, because my schedule is somewhat like yours. I usually take a day off on Sunday. If you love working out there is no stopping you especially if you enjoy the cardio.
  • Nikkerz620
    Nikkerz620 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't think some cardio everyday would be bad...
    You go girl!!! :tongue:
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    The only time you can ever work out too much is if it leads to injury or illness. Injury and illness are your bodies way of telling you something is wrong. If your body is handling it and you aren't stressing about it...why worry about it?
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Before I hired a trainer, I was doing 7 days a week, 2x a day workouts and just plain ol crazy working out to the max. Then my trainer looked over my schedule and he was like...STOP....you are over training. Your body is not getting a chance to recover. So instead of doing so many workouts, I have intensified my workouts and take one rest day and one no gym but still doing stuff with the kids.
  • Lollyvoddy
    Lollyvoddy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I guess it really depends on how you are feeling. I workout six days a week, and find I have to make myself have a rest day, or I feel really run down after a while. My rest day is Sunday, and on Monday morning I leap out of bed ready to go, so I do think a little rest is necessary if you want to be able to put your all into a workout program.
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    It sounds like too much cardio to me, personally.

I'd agree here as you seem close to your ideal weight. But hey, if it's your preference and it's what got you to where you're at, I wouldn't necessarily change it up too much.

The only concerns are if you're being properly nourished for all your exercises and whether or not you sense you're plateauing.

Here's a good article that may help:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Before I hired a trainer, I was doing 7 days a week, 2x a day workouts and just plain ol crazy working out to the max. Then my trainer looked over my schedule and he was like...STOP....you are over training. Your body is not getting a chance to recover. So instead of doing so many workouts, I have intensified my workouts and take one rest day and one no gym but still doing stuff with the kids.

I agree. I was in the exact same position and seeing little or no results. My personal trainer had me cut out the endless steady state cardio and replaced it with 3 x weights sessions with 2 HIIT sessions, much more effective. The sessions are waaaaay more intense but I'm a lot happier, seeing changes in my body and it's nice to have some extra time in the evenings.
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone, I appreciate it.

Said person also said it was too much cardio but I do actually enjoy it, it's like "me" time. And I don't feel tired or run down, no injuries or anything hurting. I also do it first thing in the AM so I feel like it really helps me get my day off to a good start. One the 1 day a week I don't do it in the AM, I feel "off" the rest of the day. So I figured it was ok but what they said got me thinking. I don't do it for the purpose of losing weight per se, just makes me feel good and more energetic.

Most days I haul butt but I do take it easy and take it easy 1 or 2 of the cardio days.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I would agree that is plenty of cardio and I believe strength training is super important. I work out 6-7 days a week doing strength or cardio, then I also add in Yoga at least one day and stretching at least one more day. Most of my work outs are 1 hours, but sometimes they are 2 hours. From experience, if you don't cross train with some weights somewhere you will get injured at some point, but it may take a while, or your body will get used to just the cardio unless you bump it up a little. I lost weight doing cardio - but lost sizes when I added weights.
  • Rodneymc4
    Rodneymc4 Posts: 62
    Options
    Your body is the judge and jury on whether you are working out too much. If you can't lift the same weight you lifted on your last workout, or you can't repeat your normal sets and reps routine then you are not giving your body enough time to grow and recover. If you can't continue your cardio routine at the same intensity as the last workout then again your body has not recovered and strengthened properly.

If you are getting weaker and not stronger--slower and not faster then you may been working out too much. However, if you are showing improvements in cardio fitness, muscle strength and endurance--and you are injury free then you are probably just fine.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I don't think that's too much, as you aren't doing long or intense workouts. I do 4 very intense 1 hr workouts a week, and usually do the 30DS on my days off. I don't think I do that much. I think if you were doing an hour of intense every day, you'd burn out, but not stuff like pilates (and yes, I have done it, and I know it can be hard, but it's not aerobic or pounding for muscles).
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Sounds good to me. Here's my schedule:

4 days per week: 40 minutes weightlifting, all supersets very little rest intervals, followed by 60-80 minutes cardio at 65-70% of max HR.

1 day per week: 60 minutes cardio at 65-70% followed by 20 minutes at 85-90% of max HR.

1 day per week: 20 minutes cardio at 65-70% followed by 50 minutes at 85-90% of max HR.

1 day per week: rest.
  • addman72
    addman72 Posts: 220
    Options
    I think a days rest would be good. Ive had a PT recommend that to me in the past. It gives the body time to recover , although you may not be feeling tired it doenst give time for your muscles to rest.