Knee Issues- need cardio/strength DVD recommendations!

Options
Hi- I am looking for recommendations for cardio/strength traning DVD's that are gentle on the knees. I had surgery for a torn minescus (sp?) a few yars back, and since then most impact exercises cause my knees to hurt, and not in the good "feel the burn" kind of way. I can run a bit without it hurting, and I do vinyasa flow yoga about 5 times a week without issue, but as soon as I start doing my 30Day Shred DVD, the knees just kill me and I get a clicking sound in my left knee after a few days. I love the JM DVD'S too, they really do work well. So, does anyone out there know of any good workout DVD's that won't stress the knees too much?

Thanks!!!!

Replies

• callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Yeah, 30DS is pretty bad on the knees. You should avoid it if you have had knee surgery. Almost all of the 1-star reviews on Amazon comment on the way this workout affects the knees.

I would recommend looking into DVD’s by Ellen Barrett, especially Barefoot Cardio and Skinny Sculpt. She creates gentle, flowing workouts that give you all over toning and strength, but NO impact on the joints.
  • alpha2omega
    alpha2omega Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you tried it but Zumba seems to be pretty low impact and yet quite a workout.
  • shulaw
    shulaw Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    i have really bad knees have ahd opps on them etc i am also doing the 30day shred but i just replaced the cardio with softer cardio movements so instead of the jacks and jump rope i run on the spot and do the cardio punchies this has really helped with my knees and i still get to do the rest :) i also do zumba which i love and again i just modify some of the steps to help with my knees
  • lilwashee
    lilwashee Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    richard simmons old school but works and is light aerobic
  • mamafoofer
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the tips! I've heard a lot about Zumba so I'm going to look into it this weekend, along with the Ellen Barrett DVD's. I think I may have an old Richard Simmonds vhs tape somewhere,lol... I do remember his workouts as being intense but not to stressful on the joints.

Thank you again everyone :happy: