Cauliflower recipes?

Options
brancakes
brancakes Posts: 263 Member
I've been hearing people talk a lot about mashed cauliflower or using it as pizza crust, etc. I'm going to start watching my carb intake more and was wondering what were some good recipes for people like me, that to be honest I think I've only eaten cauliflower once, it was ok but it's not my favorite. Would I even like it in different forms (ie mashed or what not)? thanks

Replies

• ziggygirl2003
    ziggygirl2003 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Bump, I'd like to know too
  • Kwilliams75
    Kwilliams75 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    The pizza, lasagna and the mashed cauliflower recipes are all great. I know the pizza and lasagna are both on here!
  • han182
    han182 Posts: 82
    Options
    Bump!!
  • oshmom
    oshmom Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Google Cauiflower rice. I made "fried" rice with it and my kids thought it was real rice! The pizza is great too.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I always wondered what to do with it too. I found this recipe today and was planning on trying it sometime this week:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/02/cauliflower-fritters-25.html
  • waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I've got an awesome recipe for garlic & cauliflower soup.... if you're interested, I'll hunt it up and repost it here.

pizza crust? how would you do that :huh:
  • JanerZzz
    JanerZzz Posts: 276
    Options
    Ok...saw the recipe on here and tried it and it was DELICIOUS!

Roasted cauliflower soup.
    12 oz cauliflower, broken into florets
    1 medium onion, sliced
    2 14.5 oz cans of no fat or low sodium chicken broth
    2 tbsp olive oil
    salt and pepper to taste

Crank the oven to 450, place the onion and cauliflower florets on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and bake for 20 minutes, flipping over at 10. Cauliflower should have brown spots on it by the time its done.
    Meanwhile, heat up the chicken broth on medium heat.
    Add cauliflower, onion to the broth. Deglaze the baking pan with a little bit of water and add to the pot. Add salt and pepper to taste.
    Simmer for 10 minutes.
    Use a handy blender to mash it up!
    I loved mine with a sprinkle of sesame oil.

hope you like it.

I think its about 100 calories per cup. may be less.
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I got a recipe from the South Beach Diet cookbook for mashed cauliflower using a triangle of laughing cow cheese... I tried it and it was actually really good!
  • sharaleeb
    sharaleeb Posts: 32
    Options
    I've tried it as mock mashed garlic potatoes and it was yum! I'm excited to try these other recipes too! Great question!
  • brancakes
    brancakes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    These are all great! thank you :)
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Damn you!!! Now I can't make myself get off of that Skinny Taste website... sigh... A lot of it looks super yummy, though... lol
  • mrsbuzz
    mrsbuzz Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Foxworth81
    Foxworth81 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options
    bump
  • cheeqz
    cheeqz Posts: 2
    Options
    I just made some amazing roasted cauliflower. Toss lightly in olive oil and salt, throw on a shallow pan with some crushed walnuts and cook at 450 for about 35 minutes (or until you see it browning). Pile it on a plate and either eat it OR if you want a little richness, your favorite goat cheese (I used lemon chevre) will do the trick.

The cheese isn't necessary, but if you can afford a few extra calories, it makes the dish even yummier. This is a great way to satisfy a "I really want something salty/savory like potato chips" craving. :)
  • heathernsugar
    Options
    Boil your cauliflower in some chicken stock and then mash it and flavor with salt and pepper--they taste like
    homemademashed potatoes!!!
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    My Cauliflower mash is quite simple.

Steam one head of Cauliflower until tender.
    Place in food processor with 1 teaspoon of salt +/- 1 tablespoon of butter (your preference)
    Process until smooth. (add small amount of cream if too thick
    Spoon 1/2 of the cauliflower into casserole dish and sprinkle top with sharp cheddar cheese (I uses enough to cover the mash
    Spoon second 1/2 of cauliflower on top of the first layer and top off with additional cheese
    Toss into oven at 350 degrees until cheese is melted and a little toasty on the edge

Hmmm... We love it. Really low carb and can be low fat depending on the cheese/butter/cream decisions