Does it matter that my muscles don't ache after a workout?

Options
I've been working out in the gym for three months now, 3 or 4 times a week, both cardio and weights. I feel my cardio fitness is improving, and I can lift heavier weights than before.

But I *never* get achy muscles the day after a workout.

I feel I'm working as hard as I can to usually do 3 sets of 10 reps with the weights, increasing the weights, but -- is the lack of "ache" a sign that I really should be trying to push myself harder? Or is it a good sign, that I'm nourishing myself well and my muscles are re-building themselves?

Thanks!
Jonathan.

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Three sets of ten is rather unusual. If you are using a weight that you can lift for ten reps, three sets isn't near enough.

I don't know what routine you are following, but during your next work out try six to eight sets of eight to twelve reps with your current weight.
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Don't have any knowledge of this other than my personal experience. I am also about three month in, work out pretty much daily, and am just in the last couple weeks starting to feel sore after my workouts. Have mentioned it to a few friends and non seemed surprised. Seems to be a common occurrence, would love to know why.
  • koosdel
    Options
    When a person starts weight lifting, the initial strength gains are mostly you 'learning' to use the strength you already have. It takes a lot of confidence to lift heavy, and as your body balances its strength with your determination you will feel the changes.

That said, push your self. Right now is when you can be making the fastest gains. The little bitty 2.5 lb plates are your friend.

Also, considering you are new to weight lifting, your body manufacturers its own pain killers when you lift. It could takes days for them to dissipate from your system.

Research a few routines, don't be afraid to try something new. Keep it simple. You'll do fine.
  • Shadowcasting
    Shadowcasting Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Are the reps bringing you to muscle fatigue? You'll know it if it is! If #10 isn't the absolute last one you could do before resting, then you need to go heavier.
  • jonathandavid_t
    jonathandavid_t Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments so far.

My "routine" isn't anything special; it's what the gym instructor gave me when I started (he suggested 2 sets of 12 reps but my bro-in-law said 3x10 would be better), and I've increased the weights myself as I felt I could.

Currently:
    vertical chest press machine, 3x10 at 45kg
    leg press machine, 3x10 at 80kg
    lat pulls machine, 3x10 at 50kg
    triceps extension machine (rope pulling down) 3x10 at 40kg
    shoulder press machine 3x10 at 45kg
    bicep curls holding dumbbell in each hand (labelled 9kg at each end -- does that mean 9kg total or 18kg for the two ends of the one dumbbell?) -- anyway, standing on wobble-ball-thing doing squats at same time as bicep curls.

I rest 30-60 seconds between sets and maybe a minute or two between exercises.
    The first couple of sets I don't feel I work to exhaustion but the third set I can only just complete the last one (if I feel I can do a couple more, I'll increase the weight next time in the gym).

Doing weights 2x/week -- the 3-4x/week I mentioned above is cardio.
  • koosdel
    Options
    I think the most important aspect a routine should have is balance. For example, for every pulling/lifting exercise you should counter it with a pushing/pressing exercise using the same muscle region.

Note- This is my #2 work out. It's great for me, but might be wrong for you. Everyone has their own opinion, this is mine.

Ok, back to it. Yesterday I warmed up by listening to loud music and running a few sprints. I spent just a minute doing very mild stretching. I do not stretch much before working out. It saps my strength.
    Bench press;
    -1 set 20 reps 40lbs.
    -1 set 12 reps 120 lbs.
    -1 set 6 reps 180 lbs
    Those were my warm-up sets.
    -4 sets of 5 reps progressing from 200 to 230 lbs.
    -1 set of 7 reps 230 lbs.
    Those were my working sets, the last being to failure. The last set I was wanting 8 reps, but couldn't complete the last one with good form so it didn't count.

My next exercise was bent rows. I used the same weights, except the working sets were 200 lbs instead of 230.

After this, I did a bazillion sit-ups, then got on the stationary bike. I can't remember how Lo.g I was on it, maybe 40 minutes? After that, I stretched with shoulder dislocations, toe touches, and arm cross overs.