• LaurnWhit
    LaurnWhit Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Bump awesome info.

Laura
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I'm exercising 2x a day, 5 days a week. Cardio in the morning and weight training in the evening. I'm hoping I can gain a bit of muscle and lose a bit of fat. I'm doing intervals for my cardio and lift pretty heavy weights--- I'm squating 150 lbs and leg pressing 240 lbs. Still working on the old bench press- just up to 80 lbs on that. Oh and I always have a protein shake after weights.

Anyway, I'd love any advice on how to acheive my goals!
    I would switch from your current program to a metabolic resistance routine, or ketlebell routine, those are great weights to be lifting for your size and there is nothing wrong with how you are doing it right now but the methods I use have a longer lasting effect on fat loss effect than separating the workouts into cardio/weights, also make sure you are eating back most of those exercise cals and give the zig zag method a shot to really amp up fat loss and muscle preservation/gain.
  • GTI_Girl
    GTI_Girl Posts: 207
    Options
    bump
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Wow, what a great post. You need to write a book or something your tips and your way of expressing them are fantastic.
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    My gym doesn't have kettels balls, uunfortunetly. What is metabolic resistance training? Is it like circuit training? Do you think you could give me an example of what you would do in one of those workouts?
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    I am only repeating much of what Tom Venuto teaches, in my opinion he is one of the few that teaches real nutrition and real methods without complicating things, fat loss is not rocket science, it is easy, it just takes hard work and dedication to achieve permanent fat loss. I have used this practice on and off for a while but this time around it is with a clear and defined purpose and I am honed in on my goals which are ever evolving and ever changing. At first it was to get to 180, then when I hit that it was 170, I am 1 lb away from that currently, then its going to be a 6 pack and once I achieve that its going to be muscle gain.
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Great informative post. I've pieced most of this stuff together from here and there on these boards, but good to see it clearly laid out together.
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I am only repeating much of what Tom Venuto teaches, in my opinion he is one of the few that teaches real nutrition and real methods without complicating things, fat loss is not rocket science, it is easy, it just takes hard work and dedication to achieve permanent fat loss. I have used this practice on and off for a while but this time around it is with a clear and defined purpose and I am honed in on my goals which are ever evolving and ever changing. At first it was to get to 180, then when I hit that it was 170, I am 1 lb away from that currently, then its going to be a 6 pack and once I achieve that its going to be muscle gain.

Ok great, perhaps i will look at buying one of his books. I have heard a lot of good things about his stuff. I don't often buy fitness-related books because it seems like there is so much garbage out there, I don't want to waste my money.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    metabolic resistance training in its simplest form is cardio with weights. You can use dumbbells for all the same movements as kettlebells just modified to accommodate the dumbbells.
  • deanie0515
    deanie0515 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dwellsouth
    dwellsouth Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I'm going to try to apply what you wrote here with my daily goals and not put my body in starvation mode.
  • ahmedlogic
    ahmedlogic Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Bumpin.

Where do you get your MRT workouts from? Are there any websites you would recommend to find a little bit more information on this type of training?
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    once you learn what it is you can make up a program or take the guess work out and use this program; http://www.spartacusworkout.com/program.html#week2
  • gottabekd
    gottabekd Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Really good tips in here, i find it hard to keep focused on what I should be doing. Threads like this help.
  • jnchorn
    jnchorn Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information. There is a lot to still figure out. If I went by MFP guidelines I would be eating 3 times as much as I do daily.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    Thanks for the information. There is a lot to still figure out. If I went by MFP guidelines I would be eating 3 times as much as I do daily.
    chances are you are not eating enough I learned that when I joined at 198 pounds, started eating enough and 3 months later I am 171.
  • porchwork
    porchwork Posts: 69
    Options
    Good info...bump:smile:
  • rachellepilcher
    Options
    so would that be 1000 cal below what mfp has me set at (to lose 1 lb/wk) or 1000 below what my bmr is...and always including the exercise cal?
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    so would that be 1000 cal below what mfp has me set at (to lose 1 lb/wk) or 1000 below what my bmr is...and always including the exercise cal?
    if you are at a 1 lb/wk loss then that is an additional 500 cals below that no more if you are close to your goal weight (say 15 lbs or less) then 200 below what mfp recommends you for a 1 lb/wk loss. If you do this eating back to maintenance on the 3rd day is a MUST do, not optional.
  • rachellepilcher
    Options
    ok...thats prob what my problem has been this past week cuz I have been going 700-1000 under what mfp has me at...so for prob yrs ive been either way over or way under...its no wonder i keep yo-yoing and not keeping anything off. thanks so much.