another poop question...

Options
amfmmama
amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
Why is it that, now that I am eating better. More fiber, fruits and veggies, I am going so much less then when I was eating like crap!! (pun intended) What can I do ? I am drinking a ton of water!

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    LOL

Do you feel constipated? Are you eating enough fat? You don't have to go all the time. :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    The better quality food you eat, the more it gets burned as fuel. When you eat junk, it goes right through you.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    If you are clogged up and that happens when you increase your portein intake the best thing is to take Benefiber. It is clear and mixes easy with almost no taste. They also have sugar free chewables.
  • DEE4560
    DEE4560 Posts: 139
    Options
    Try eating one of the Fiber one 90 Calorie bars each day.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    this is a great topic and everyone of us I think has gone through this. :blushing:

I read another thread on this and 2 nurses commented that of course since you are eating less you will poop less........and for alot of us we have drastically changed the amount of FATs we eat.........and guess what makes you poop more easy....FAT!

I remember my mom (she is now 80) telling me that her mom would give her and siblings castor oil on a regular basis to keep them regular!!!!

Well, now we all eat such weird junky foods that we get alot of fats - jut not the right ones.

Of course I suggest water and fiber.....but alos healthy fats from avacado, nuts, olive oil, etc. Don't be afraid to eat fat or you won't poop!

:flowerforyou:
  • 85specialk
    Options
    what comes out reflects what goes in, so if you're eating less than you used to, then obviously less would come out
  • jkm80
    jkm80 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You can always take Magnesium supplements at night.
  • ScatteredWriter
    Options
    Exercise & coffee, first thing every morning. Works like a charm. :D

Seriously, fiber bulks things up and sometimes that slows you down while you're adjusting. Make sure you include both starchy & non-starchy veggies in your diet (two kinds of fiber - soluble and insoluble - they work together), and give it a bit of time...
  • bullmastifflover
    bullmastifflover Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    How much is a lot of water? Sometimes my system will slow down if I had too much sodium and only drank 8 glasses of water. A lot of my pals are drinking 10-15 8 oz glasses of water/day.
  • kroyalty
    kroyalty Posts: 22
    Options
    Lol. Same here amfmmama and I have wondered the same thing! I tried adding the Benefiber (even though I was already getting plenty of fiber) and it didn't make any difference at all for me--in fact I felt bloated. I like the explanation that the better quality food gets burned and the junk goes right through you. Too bad the calories stay though! :laugh:
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    I can't tell you how happy I am that you posted this topic.

I figured on my MFP fiber counts I was ok - but I wasn't. I eat upwards to 100g of protein a day and drink 14+ glasses of water a day and thought, "I should be fine!! What is wrong with me?!?!"

I took a Fiber Gummie (two last night) and felt better by morning. If you get really uncomfortable - magnesium citrate in the liquid form.

Best of luck!!
  • AngelicaDulas
    Options
    I find that eating probiotics helps move things along. Chobani fruit flavored Greek yogurt is sooo tasty! And ZERO fat, 140 calories. It has FIVE live active cultures compared to other yogurts which only have two. The Chobani are a little bit more expensive but REALLLLLY worth it! There's nothing artificial (sweeteners or colors or preservatives, etc) and it's got a good amount of protein too in each 6oz cup (19g i think). May be worth a try?
  • partcho
    partcho Posts: 225
    Options
    Me too!! Been eating 20, 25, even up to 40 grams of fiber a day (not normally 40, but usually at least 20) and nada.... No bathroom action. Went to the doc. She prescribed some fiber stuff that's supposedly stronger than benefiber (which I didn't realize until I picked it up at the pharmacy and the pharmacist told me to be careful as I can get dependent on it). Being dependent on anything freaks me out, but something's gotta give. I will try it, but I really hope it will just rev things up and that I won't have to take this extra fiber for too long...
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    oh, and I started OxyElite Pro a couple of days ago so I hadn't been drinking coffee like I normally do because I didn't know how it would mix with the OEP... perhaps that is ANOTHER reason why I'd been 'uncomfortable.'

Back to coffee since I think my body is doing well with the OEP!! :-)
  • gigigirl13
    Options
    This has always been a problem for me before and during weight loss. I have found what works for me is an 8 oz glass of prune juice every single night. Beware it will make you gassy....I take mine late at night. It takes me about 3 hours after and the gas begins...but it does not make me feel bad because I pass it. You may want to start off with a juice glass and add more if necesary. I tried eating prunes but soon tired of eating 10 a night. Hope this might be an option for you. I like others do not want to become dependant on a medicine and have tried stool sofners, Benefiber, Fiber Bars, etc. and this was the best thing to work for me. Of course we are all different, so we have to find what is right for us.
  • partcho
    partcho Posts: 225
    Options
    that's a great idea with the prune juice. I can force myself to chug just about anything but eating prunes is just too much. I'm going to try that, I'm pretty freaked about the prescription fiber...
  • amfmmama
    Options
    I can't tell you how happy I am that you posted this topic.

I figured on my MFP fiber counts I was ok - but I wasn't. I eat upwards to 100g of protein a day and drink 14+ glasses of water a day and thought, "I should be fine!! What is wrong with me?!?!"

I took a Fiber Gummie (two last night) and felt better by morning. If you get really uncomfortable - magnesium citrate in the liquid form.

Best of luck!!

fiber gummies? what's that?
  • amfmmama
    Options
    thank you all!!!!
  • snowwhitee
    Options
    Not going as often or becoming constipated is common during the first phase of weight loss
  • greyhoundluv
    Options
    I love this community!!! I have had the same problem--used to poop like a champ (TMI, right?? sorry!) prior to weight loss efforts. Goes to show how much fat I was probably eating then!! Now, not much going on. It is helpful to know that this is a not uncommon part of things as the body is adjusting.
    Thanks for the great suggestions so far!