Logging Food/Meals before eating...

Options
Mangoaddict
Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
So, I read somewhere on the forum that some of you add foods on the list before you eat? How true is this and how many of you do it?

Replies

• Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    So, I read somewhere on the forum that some of you add foods on the list before you eat? How true is this and how many of you do it?
  • PhotographerOfNature
    PhotographerOfNature Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    When I am putting in my breakfast, I always add in the snack column a fudge bar for the night time snack so my calories are always allotted for my nightly treat. I don't have to worry about running short at the end of the day and not have enough for my fudge bar. I look forward to it every night. That's about the only thing I log in prior to eating it though.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I usually fill my whole day out in the morning--plan what I'm going to eat, enter, and stick to it--down to the snacks.
  • brandyjo
    brandyjo Posts: 47
    Options
    I've found that I do much better when I fill in my complete menu for the day. That way I know exactly what I'm going to be eating and I feel less tempted to cheat.

Good Luck!
  • raincloud
    raincloud Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I fill my whole day the night before. I leave room for something incase I want to add it the next day though.

Sometimes I will plan out my working days in a row too (I work 12's, sometimes 3 in a row, or like starting tomorrow 6 in a row...). So I have my next week planned out just to make it easier.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I do this sometimes, especially if I'm not working out that day, or going out to eat that evening.

It helps with my "fear of unpredictability" especially when it comes to eating out.

I don't do it all the time, though. . .because that became obsessive for me. :flowerforyou:
  • RedCurls
    RedCurls Posts: 56
    Options
    I don't prelog my food but I do prelog some of my excercise. I have a 10 month old and I log in carrying him around for at least 30 minutes total a day. He weighs 20 pounds and most of the time when I am carrying him I am throwing him in the air or swinging him side to side ect... I figure that I have to burn calories while doing that! That is the first thing I log every day so I have a few extra calories.:smile:
  • latinmermaid
    Options
    I always log my meals first thing every morning & I also try to log my exercise for the day as well before I do it. I have noticed that it keeps me in line more when I do than if I don't. I notice I will push myself harder with exercise in order to make sure I keep with the expectations I set for myself that day. Also with food, it keeps me from straying.
    48687.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • heatther
    heatther Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I do it every morning if not the night before! That way I stay on track. If something changes through out the day I know where I need to make adjustments! Like if I go out for lunch I remind myself I will have to change this or that or go without a snack to make up for it. That way I am not sitting there at the end of the night starving or mad at myself because I went over.
  • tanzmamma
    tanzmamma Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    If I have planned out what i'm eating htat day I log it all in first thing so I can see where I am with calories/fat.

You can always go in and change stuff around if you end up NOT eating that etc.
  • crazybigchick
    Options
    I like having my whole day olanned out so I know what I am going to eat in advance. It really helps keep me from cheating. Also already knowing what I am going to have for lunch keeps me from being tempted to hit the drive thru.
  • mello
    mello Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I log my whole day in the morning while i'm drinking coffee. Putting it in advance helps me stay on plan! Naturally I edit if need be.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    anywhere from a day to a week depending if I planned my meals out for the week. IT really helps to keep on track
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    I usually do that! I do save some extra calories in case I snack on something!
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    anywhere from a day to a week depending if I planned my meals out for the week. IT really helps to keep on track

Yup, me too! In fact, I just finished logging in everything that I'm planning on eating for tomorrow AND for Friday too!
    It's definitely better to log your foods in BEFORE you have them. That way, you know EXACTLY what you're having, and that there'll still be a snack at the end of the day, with no worries of going over your numbers!
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Ditto here. I don't log a whole day usually, because I don't know what kind of work out I'm going to get, but I do tend to log things before I eat them to make sure I don't get any caloric surprises. I don't do this as much as at the beginning though because now I have a better sense of the caloric density of the foods I eat. I do like the idea of adding my evening treat in the morning though - hadn't thought of that!!
  • SGFlyinHi
    SGFlyinHi Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I usually log my meals for the day in the morning.
  • Zeii
    Zeii Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I tried doing it tonight for dinner but then I ended up eating a completely different portion size and had to reenter everything anyways. That was dumb of me.
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I try to preplan what I will be eating, but I don't log it in until I eat it b/c I hate feeling "STUCK" to a certain thing. It is a wonder I ever got married!!:laugh: I did and he is wonderful...almost 12 years.

That is one reason why diets that are so planned out with exactly what you are supposed to eat all day never have worked for me. I am laid back and just go with the flow. I have some idea in the back of my head about what I will eat, but I leave my options open and don't pre post it until it is down the hatch...sames me some time deleting and re entering!!
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I used to this every morning. Now that I have a better sense of the calories I am consuming I don't do it so much. Then again, I had stopped logging all together for a few weeks. :embarassed: I had a loss of 3 pounds but ended up gaining that back plus 2 :explode: . So back to logging and pre-planning my days. If I don't plan the whole day out then I will at least log it before I eat to see where I am at. It really does help.
    I too like the idea of adding the nightly snack in there early too. I always tend to do well through out the day and then eat something that sets me over at night. Thanks for sharing that one!