How to get the right mind set....Hardest part for me!

Options
I KNOW this is mostly a "mental thing."

If you didn't have the right mind set, and you do now, what changed to make that happen. I'd love some ideas?

Replies

• hollyyoung71
    hollyyoung71 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Seeing photos of myself at my heaviest....I hated looking at the and finally got fed up....I feel so much better about myself now
  • soccerjewel47
    Options
    my reality was when my little brother told me I needed to start tonin up cuz he noticed I gained a little since we graduated, And since my whole family is on this they have been pretty supportive:)
  • nickyb632
    nickyb632 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    This site really helps stay in the right mindset for me... all the support definitely rocks
  • MandeeSue
    MandeeSue Posts: 153
    Options
    I am in the same boat, just wish I could get my mind set right with the way it thinks..ya know? It really sucks !
  • asallen7
    asallen7 Posts: 301
    Options
    It was a gradual process. I think the further you go on this journey, you will encounter "mindsets" you never realized that you had. At first the struggle was committing to journey. MFP really helped with that. I needed that public announcement of what I was doing. And once I had a few Facebook cheerleaders I was set.

At a point, the mentality I fought was "I'm never gonna reach my goal". This comes when the results slow down and you question if you're doing the right thing.

At another point it was "I've lost weight and I still look a mess". This usually means you need to buy new clothes. You have to constantly feed your mind positive messages. reading motivational books, quotes, meditating, taking time for me has all helped.

They key is to just begin and as you see small changes and successes, begin to feel better and more energetic, you will gain momentum and have a better mindset.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    For me it happened overnight. Something clicked. I think a large part of it is finding a rational program that strikes a chord with you and that you believe in. And then you can look at it like "this is the plan that I have to follow, and over time I will become the ultimate version of myself". It helps to have some or all of the specifics laid out. In other words, don't make plans like, "I will exercise 6 times per week". Instead make plans like "I will do 45 minutes of cardio 3 times per week, and strength training 3 times per week". (those are just random numbers. The point is to be specific with your plans and goals). Similarly, don't say, "I will eat healthy". Plan ahead what you will actually be eating.

You're right that it's mostly a mental thing. You just gotta make it click, and then you'll be unstoppable!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    [double post]
  • adriangoddard
    Options
    I think you have to get to that point where you go "F&^ck it - I am tired of living this way" - how you get to that point is usually through either having health issues, seeing photos of yourself or just tired of being overweight and uncomfortable.

For me it was just tired of not being as active and full of energy as I used to be - and I could see that I was heading down a road I defiantly did not want to go down.

If you are having a problem getting motivated to do exercise - try the two minute test.... Do what ever exercise you were planning on doing for two minutes, and then see how you feel. In most cases you will be ready to exercise - your body just needs to be awakened :)
  • 30togomoveit
    30togomoveit Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Wow..thanks for all the input!

I think if I see a good loss this coming WI on Saturday..it will keep me going. I have been good this week about logging my foods and have exercised 3 days.

I need to incorporate weekends into working out. I have almost all the BL videos and need to start doing them again. I go to the gym M-Th most weeks!

For me, this is like another JOB. It takes me a lot of hard work (time) and discipline to stay on track. Sometimes I let life get in the way too much!
  • adriangoddard
    Options
    Remember - the first 2 weeks are always the hardest - it hard to get over your old addictions/cravings, your body will also be detoxing and it's hard to get your body moving and exercising.

But - Remember this - it is worth it, you will feel better and in no time you will be feeling great! Just keep looking at the success stories on this site - it will truly amaze you, inspire you and prove that it is possible - no matter who you are or what you look like!