Too much protein?

Options
dujennifer
dujennifer Posts: 162 Member
I have begun the Body for Life program and it recommends protein shakes, bars, etc and eating 5 meals a day. I have actually lost weight - 2 pounds in two weeks! But when I enter my diet into the food tab, my proteins are way higher in comparison to my balance of carbs and fats. Is too much protein bad?

Replies

• dujennifer
    dujennifer Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have begun the Body for Life program and it recommends protein shakes, bars, etc and eating 5 meals a day. I have actually lost weight - 2 pounds in two weeks! But when I enter my diet into the food tab, my proteins are way higher in comparison to my balance of carbs and fats. Is too much protein bad?
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Body for Life asks you to eat 40% of your caloric intake in protein. MFP is set up at less, I believe15%, not 100% sure...you would have to manually change your dietary goals to 40-40-20 ratio in MFP. 40% is not bad...I hope this helps. Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • kirstenkohn
    Options
    body for life is a really good program, my dad lost tons of weight doing it! I've been thinking about starting it myself.
  • sengseng74
    sengseng74 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've done body for life as well and lost 25 pounds in a few months. The problem I had was in food preparation time. You really have to plan what you eat. I even bought Bill Philips' cookbook, called Eating for Life, which has a ton of recipes. Even though they claim each dish only takes minutes to make, I found I never had the right ingredients half of the time, and more often than not I had to run out the door without being able to put any time into it.

Needless to say, I ate a lot of Multi-grain ego waffles wrapped like a taco around a banana for breakfast!

Good program, but if you are a busy person, it's tough to follow.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I've heard that you shouldn't have more than 20% protein or it's hard on the kidneys
  • Thrust
    Thrust Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've heard that you shouldn't have more than 20% protein or it's hard on the kidneys

This is a persistent rumor that is now viewed as unsubstantiated in the current research literature. Recommendations on protein vary, however, a good goal is 1g-1.5g of protein per 1lb. of bodyweight. So, if you're 160lbs. you'd take in 160g of protein per day.

**edit** I should add the caveat that this recommendation is for people who engage in athletic exercise. Sedentary persons would require less.
  • sengseng74
    Options
    Thrust,

I have heard the same thing from nutritionists with respect to how much protein you should eat when factoring in your weight and lifestyle activity.

Good advice!
    :happy:
  • Thrust
    Thrust Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thrust,

I have heard the same thing from nutritionists with respect to how much protein you should eat when factoring in your weight and lifestyle activity.

Good advice!
    :happy:

Thanks! :wink: Ultimately, each person varies and it's up to her/him to find out what works best for their own physiology. However, a normal person that engages in regular physical activity should not be concerned with moderate (e.g., 1g/lb) protein consumption. The protein hysteria regarding diminished renal function was based on research conducted on laboratory rats in the 60s. Research conducted on human subjects has not found the same risks.
  • sengseng74
    Options
    Absolutely, protein requirements differ for everyone. It is well-known that there are various "body types" based on your blood type, and each blood type has different nutritional needs. Some people need high iron and protein, which many consume from meats, while other body types are a bit more comfortable eating "cooler" foods, like fruits and vegetables, tofu and even dairy.

If anyone is struggling with the kinds & quantities of proteins they are eating, or if you are interested in seeing for yourself what kind of body type you have, I recommend a great article:

http://www.innerself.com/Health/eating_according_to_ancestry.htm

After you read this, you may find that a few minor changes in the way you eat may greatly help your body to live more healthfully.

Cheers!
    :drinker:
  • sclosson
    sclosson Posts: 120
    Options
    This came at a perfect time for me. I have noticed since I joined that I always am over with my protein, but I can't figure out where to cut back. I don't feel like I'm eating too much and I am losing weight. I will try the site suggested and see if that helps. Thanks.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Well, I am always below on my protein!!!! It is set at 30% of my caloric allowance and as of now I still need to eat 46g of protein to meet my requirement!!! I can't stomach anymore food today. I am hoping I can do better when I start my nutrition challenge tomorrow!! :flowerforyou:
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I think that anything in excess is not good for us, no matter how "healthy" it is. Not too long ago we heard of a woman dying from drinking too much water, never thought that could happen:noway: . I don't mind going over my protein a little, most of the time I am over in carbs and protein, but to low on fats.... and if you are into body building and work out with weights I think you would need a lot more....I have tried a lot of "diets" and lost ton's of weight, all to gain it back with lots and lots of friends. I think this time I want to do it slowly with real food so I can live like this the rest of my life.
    I read part of the article that was listed and since I am an A type I am not supposed to eat meat, I love meat, don't have a problem with high blood pressure or thick blood and my digestion is good also. I think it's up to the individual, no two people are alike so to judge a whole bloodgroup sounds a little simplistic and unfoundet to me.
    This is like all my other comments a personal oppinion and should be used as such.
    cheers:drinker: