Why can't family be more supportive?

Options
My mom had a stroke 15 years ago and I am her main caregiver. If I didn't she would have to go into a nursing home so I live with my parents. I have been really unhappy because of my weight for a long time and when I found mfp I decided to change my life. So far I am doing really good and have felt much better. The only problem is my father who is totally not supportive and constantly makes snide comments. Does anyone else have a family member that is like this? How do you handle that person?

Replies

• countryrose7
    countryrose7 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    It may be that he feels threatened by you losing weight. In his eyes (maybe) you are going to lose all the weight and leave them alone. He may just be trying to bully you into staying the way you are. This was the case with me and my first husband. He was convinced that if I lost weight I would leave him for someone else. Eventually that did happen, but not quite like that. Try telling you dad that you are just trying to live a healthier life for YOU. Good luck!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Plenty of people have these type of people in their lives. I personally just try to tune it out- like I do not acknowlege that they've said anything if it is snide or negative.
  • bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Don't let it bother you, you are doing this for yourself and no one else
  • RichGebs
    RichGebs Posts: 345
    Options
    When i started to eat healthier, my parents just snapped and started mpscreaming at me every time I would refuse to eat fast food or a lot of what we were having for dinner. For me it kills me and it's put me down in such depression seeing them upset with me and I told them That I WILL NOT be obese like them and I am doing this for myself. By the way I'm 17 hahaha so it's really difficult for me. But just tell your dad it's your life, your decisions and your health and not even he will stand in your way. Show him you are strong and you won't back down and maybe he will grow some respect for your decision
  • MsMe79
    MsMe79 Posts: 54
    Options
    I get a whole lot "oh you don't want to loose too much weight" or "you can't get as skinny as your sister" which first makes me snap and then makes me more determined.

they are jealous, my sisters are jealous and maybe a little scared cause finally I won't be the "fat" sister anymore and well people might pay attention to me.... not that it should freaking matter, we're all married! Go figure!!!
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I think we all have a person or people that try to drag us down. My mom used to say awful things about me to my sister and vice versa, about our weight. My sister is still heavy and I now wear smaller clothes than my mom, which is funny to me in a catty sort of way, LOL My dad still says stuff if he sees me eating something processed or sweet, I turn it on him now! Turnabout is fair play afterall :) That's where MFP is an awesome tool, I have found SO much support on here! Maybe after your sucess is really noticeable in your physical appearance he'll lay off, mine did. Hang in ther and good luck to you!
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Oh and kudos to you for being your mom's caregiver! That is an amazing act of love! God bless!
  • annastacia10
    Options
    Sadly those closest to us seem to sabatage the efforts to change our lifestyles. It's scary for them because they might know they need to make those same changes but are too afraid to do it. Keep on your path because you are doing great and you CAN do this. The healthier you are the better you can do for yourself and all those around you. Don't get discouraged. And don't let others distract you from your goals.
  • Lele71
    Lele71 Posts: 76
    Options
    Thanks for all of your replies. My mom was always the more supportive of the two and before she got sick when he would make these type of comments she would tell him off.