Healthy fast food options?

Options
So . . .I don't really cook. And I'm starving. I'm always on the go and eat out alot. What are some good low calorie options for a hot dinner? I'm getting a little tired of soup, salad, and cold sandwiches. I am trying to be better about cooking and having more food at home, but at the moment I don't have anything here and need to eat quick!

Replies

• hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I want to hear this too!
  • Stewie316
    Stewie316 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Subway. There subs do have a lot of sodium though. When I eat there I make sure I have very little sodium with my other meals that day.
  • Brittney24
    Brittney24 Posts: 105
    Options
    What I like to do is look on the websites for calorie information.

I went to East Side Mario's a few weeks ago, and for a whole portion of the lasagna it's around 540 calories I believe? So I cut it in half. And since they have all you can eat soup/salad and bread instead of eating all I could (like I usually would haha) I found the calories in each of those (around 300 cal for a whole loaf of bread and around 90 cal for a bowl of soup) and ate accordingly.

Although the lasagna had a good amount of fat (beef and cheese will do that to you) it has high calcium so that's a plus. All in all I think my meal was maybe max around 450? That's not bad.

Swiss Chalet if you get dine out their chicken on a kaiser with white meat is 440 calories, and the side salads are like 20 calories alone. I usually get light italian (around 30 cal) so my side is 50 cal then I'll add some chalet sauce (25 cal) and ketchup (20 cal max) to the sandwich for flavour. The total meal is about 550

Wendy's jr cheeseburger deluxe (mayo, ketchup, mustard, pickles, onions, tomatoes, lettuce) is 300 calories. Not bad considering it's a fast food joint

I'll probably rarely visit McDonalds again but their fillet o' fish is 410 calories I believe, and that would give you some healthy fats (obiviously less healthy than unhealthy :P)

All in all when I dine out I look for the healthier alternatives.
  • sceck
    sceck Posts: 219
    Options
    Make an omelette with as many veggies as you have...and a little cheese too. Salsa on top if you have it. Quick and easy, not way too many calories.
  • cornerofgreystreet
    cornerofgreystreet Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the salads at Chipotle? I know you said you were sick of salads but there you can get warm meat and beans so it is still satisfying. I like to get mine with about half the amount of pinto beans, chicken, pico and some hot salsa. Super yummy and filling and under 400 calories. Noodles and Co. also has some good pastas around 400 calories, go to their website and check it out. When I am really in a hurry I will grab a hard shell taco at Taco Bell, around 170 calories and less without the cheese.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
    4431657.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • littlemissanguissette
    littlemissanguissette Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Carl's Jr has an option called "Trim it" where they put the burger on a whole wheat bun, no cheese or mayo. It's really good [I go home and put my on fat free mayo on]. It is less calories for their Trimmed Super Star than for one of their new turkey burgers!

Subway...I managed a subway for over two years, and a LOT of our sttuff is NOT healthy...at all. Not to mention, you open the bags of meat [they aren't fresh...] and the chemical smell hits you like a ton of bricks.

I have a book that has almost all the fast foods in it that i usually have stashed in my truck somewhere, so if I'm cruising along and want something I check it to see just how much is in what, and if I can"afford" it calorie wise to get it, or just go home and eat.

I like to splurge once a week or so and get carl's jr, because I llloooovee their famous star.

Taco bell's fresca menu is pretty good, too :)
  • emott84
    emott84 Posts: 108
    Options
    I've come to appreciate Wendy's a little more than I used to. If I go there, I can get a 5 piece nuggets and a small chili and it comes to about 450 calories altogether. It's probably still not the best for you, but I do feel like there's a bit more options at Wendy's instead of the typical fries and burgers.

Often times, if I really have no alternatives, I'll get the smallest size available and eliminate the soda - I had an A&W root beer with a burger and onion rings back in the autumn, and the whole meal turned out to be over 1000 calories, thanks to the root beer being an extra 400 calories. Never again!
  • julsofdenial
    julsofdenial Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Taco bell chicken fresca soft taco.

KFC grilled chicken breast with green beans.. can even add another side and isn't too terrible.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    El pollo loco!!! YUM!
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Make an omelette with as many veggies as you have...and a little cheese too. Salsa on top if you have it. Quick and easy, not way too many calories.

and this too! It's one of my favs. I use 1 whole egg + 3 egg whites usually, and put veggies, veggies and more veggies, then top with some tobasco but any hot sauce will do!!!
  • goteamwilson
    goteamwilson Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love Chipotle, and I have been craving mexican food. Thanks for the tips!
  • Stewie316
    Stewie316 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Yeah, Chipotle is a good option. You can look at the nutrition on the website and modify to meet your calorie limit. I can get a burrito bol at only 540 calories and since it's so much food I throw out a quarter of it before I start eating, making it only 405 calories.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Carl's Jr has been advertising their new turkey burger; under 500 cal.
    I'm finding I spend more time trying to make healthier stuff now that I'm paying attention to what goes in my mouth...
    Ted
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    Taco bell chicken fresca soft taco.

Love these!
  • stonymom
    stonymom Posts: 1
    Options
    Extreme Pita ! Nutritional info online and most menu items are in the database. Very satisfying and a great variety of different flavors.
  • cng1117
    cng1117 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    when i have to have fast food and nothing else will do then i go to taco bell and get one of their fresco chicken soft tacos. I think they are like, 150 cals and 3 grams of fat a piece. The sodium is high, but it's fast food. What fast food joint doesn't have high sodium?
  • cng1117
    cng1117 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I've come to appreciate Wendy's a little more than I used to. If I go there, I can get a 5 piece nuggets and a small chili and it comes to about 450 calories altogether. It's probably still not the best for you, but I do feel like there's a bit more options at Wendy's instead of the typical fries and burgers.

doesn't wendy's also have that thing where you can replace the fries with fresh orange slices or something like that?