Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

added weight on a bike

So I love riding my bike with my 2 yr. Old son! I use an app on my phone to tell me my speed time and how many calories I've burned. However im wondering if im actually burning more bc I have 30 extra pounds on my bike. How can I figure that out? Should I up my weight 30 lbs?
Sorry if this post doesn't make sense im beat and just thought about it.

Replies

• fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    I carry that much gear or more at times ........ if you want to be accurate wear a HRM
    So I love riding my bike with my 2 yr. Old son! I use an app on my phone to tell me my speed time and how many calories I've burned. However im wondering if im actually burning more bc I have 30 extra pounds on my bike. How can I figure that out? Should I up my weight 30 lbs?
    Sorry if this post doesn't make sense im beat and just thought about it.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Actually it's harder with the 30 lbs on your bike than it is with you weighing an extra 30 lbs ( that extra weight doesn't help you peddle). I would say record as it is as it is giving you calories burned, I doubt it's off by much.
  • You should invest in a HRM for the most accurate numbers. G'luck.
  • Hi Kelly - As another suggested, a HRM will give you a slightly more precise idea of calories burned. If you're really hard core and want to know down to the decimal point, you could look also look into a power meter to measure energy output, but they are pretty pricey. You'd have to adjust the weight on the sensor to account for the trailer and kiddo, but the power output will tell you pretty precisely how much work you're doing to keep the bike moving.

Good luck!
  • pinklion721
    pinklion721 Posts: 226 Member
    Thank you everyone!
  • Triquetra
    Triquetra Posts: 270 Member
    I have often wondered this as well. I tow a 30lb trailer with a disabled child in it (120lbs) and the dog (15lbs).

I also wonder because when I walk/jog I am pushing this same trailer (it converts to jogging stroller) up and down the hills in my neighbourhood.

I'll have to use my HRM next time to see what the difference is.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Slightly more precise idea? :grumble: shes only using the MFP site now to get an estimate there will be a big difference with a HRM
    Hi Kelly - As another suggested, a HRM will give you a slightly more precise idea of calories burned. If you're really hard core and want to know down to the decimal point, you could look also look into a power meter to measure energy output, but they are pretty pricey. You'd have to adjust the weight on the sensor to account for the trailer and kiddo, but the power output will tell you pretty precisely how much work you're doing to keep the bike moving.

Good luck!