SUBWAY

Options
2»

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    6" Chicken Sweet Onion Teriyaki on scooped whole wheat is a really balanced meal.

my fav :)

I want to know why they have to add all the extra crap into the tuna mix? When I want a tuna one I prefer to get a veggie and then add my own canned tuna.
  • NittyGrittyBritty
    NittyGrittyBritty Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    if you are using a smart phone for MFP app there are other apps with nutrition info. Subway is good but some pack tonnes of kcals

Over 700 kcal/footlong:
    BLT
    Cold Cut Combo
    Italian BMT
    Steak and Cheese
    Subway Melt

Over 1000 kcal/footlong:
    Big Philly Cheesesteak
    Chicken Bacon Ranch
    Meatball Marinara
    Spicy Italian
    Tuna (order with no mayo, or maybe low fat italian instead of mayo to cut back on the cals)

Many of these also have lots of fat and, like said before, a unholy amount of sodium. However, when you think about what is in these it shouldn't come as a surprise. They also have flatbread but I don't think its whole wheat..... There are lots of options as well to 'improve' these subs (already mentioned). Most of the ones they advertise as "low fat" or less than 6 grams of fat (per six inch of course) are pretty good. Prepackaged meat tends to contain lots of sodium (and other preservatives, don't kid yourself, Subway coldcuts are not going to be the best meat you can buy) so veggie delite is the go-to sub even for my non-vegetarian friends.
    And plain old yellow mustard is pretty much the king of all condiments. It has tonnes of flavor and virtually negligible calories.
  • littlemissanguissette
    littlemissanguissette Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I managed a subway for over two years, and a lot of the stuff isn'thealthy, so just pay close attention to nutritional facts. The meat isn't really fresh, open the packs of meat and the smell coming out of there [chemical like] makes me want to puke.

The tuna has so much mayo in it is is disgusting making it. It is one of their most fattening sandwiches. I try to let people know that if they say they're "going to eat healthy today" but they usually didn't listen to me.

I won't eat many things there. We constantly pick out blood clots and bone out of the chicken strips after they've been unfrozen, it's nasty.

And, stuff is not thrown out at the end of the day, or after three days. Labels are changed, and unless something smells "off" or funny, it isn't tossed it still gets used. This isn't just my subway either, because I've worked at a couple different stores and it is the same way.

I am sure that there are things similar going on in other fast food restauarants, as well. I just know now to be careful.

I usually get the Omega-3 bread [so good!] turkey, with ONE piece of pepperjack, toasted and then the veggies of choose, one strip light mayo, and lots of mustard. :)
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Subway actually its nutrition information on its website. You can go in and personalize their sandwiches and find out the info.
  • lukimakamai
    lukimakamai Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I depends what you get, of course. Make sure you check out the nutritional information on their site before you go. Watch out for the sodium and some subs and sauces are very high calorie! I generally pass on the cheese slices and I see no need in eating a "footlong" sandwich. I order a "footlong" and save the other half for the next day.
  • NittyGrittyBritty
    NittyGrittyBritty Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    @Jessiebug

I totally agree - i worked at an Extreme Pita and it's the same. At least you can look at the spinach and tomatoes etc. and know if it is fresh or not as it begins to turn after a few days. I couldn't understand how other staff could eat the ham, that *kitten* is nasty when you open the bag.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    @jessiebug: eye opening! I'm sure it happens at just about all fast food places really.
  • JoshandChris
    JoshandChris Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    NOBODY CARES YOU ARE A FAT USELESS PIECE OF GARBAGE GO KILL YOURSELF AND STOP STEALING OUR OXYGEN!!!1
  • RichGebs
    RichGebs Posts: 345
    Options
    Wow!! Jessiebug I had no idea that really is eye opening. Thanks for all the advise
  • littlemissanguissette
    littlemissanguissette Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    No problem. It really is scary sometimes to think what they're doing to your food. And a lot of the times it isn't the workers, but the owners who are pressuring the managers, and the other workers, to "save" on food and cut costs at every corner. We used to do some very, very questionable things and serve food they probably shouldn't have been served. I eventually quit, I was tired of the pressure and whatnot to continually make more money.

Also worked at a burger joint for a while...oohhh boy, that was worse than subway hehe