digestion problems... then weight gain. help!

Options
When I first joined MFP I was doing 1200 calories and not eating my exercise calories. I felt weak, dizzy when I stood up, even fainted once. Im taking dance classes for exercise and that was hard because i couldnt focus on the combinations and got really dizzy when doing the turns. On top of all this, I was having problems with constipation, going once every other day or every three days (which is kind of normal for me) but they were small, hard, and produced with great effort. Not pleasant.

Since then I've done my homework and learned that I should be eating more protein and fats than I was previously consuming and also that I was putting my body in starvatiom mode by not eating back my exercise calories. Lesson learned. I'm eating more now and feel way more physically and mentally capable.

The problem is, I'm still struggling with constipation dispite eating lots of fiber with prunes and other fruits and veggies, drinking lots of water (i dont always log my water) and getting regular exercise. Does anyone have any suggestions for this? Is it inevitable in the dieting life?

Also, since I started eating back my exercise calories, my weight loss slowed and today reversed. I unwittingly was in starvation mode before and so I think now my body wants to store what it can but how long should this phase last? When I start losing again my metabolism should be fast again right?

One other thing, Im having trouble with my flexibility in my dance classes. I used to be very flexible but recently the more i stretch the tighter and my painful my muscles get. Any advice?

I made my food diary public so you can scope me out and see whats goin on. I live in South Korea hence the excess of kim chi, tofu, anchovies, and fish. But unsweetened plain yogurt is a very rare find, as is non fat milk, cottage cheese, ricotta, salsa, and protein powders.

Replies

• cocobeenie
    Options
    anybody? any advice?
  • KayleesTryin
    KayleesTryin Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have no advice since I am just starting out myself, but I wanted to say Good Luck to you! I hope you find what works for you soon!
  • tiny_worm
    tiny_worm Posts: 11
    Options
    I cannot help you with muscle problems and stretching pain, but maybe offer you advice on constipation. I've been there and it's really a huge concern to people on a diet, because not only does it make life very unpleasant and even stressfull at times, but can seriously subvert weightloss progress. I had more severe stretches than you, like going for a week without passing... that was horrible.

I am more regular now, usually once daily, even though with my diet sometimes it's not as much or smooth as I'd wish, but a lot better than before. I'd like to share with you some tips, and hope that they'll help you.

First, drinking water is important, but be mindful the way and time that you drink. Remember to drink half hour before eating a meal, and half hour after, but preferrably not during or immediately after eating. Excessive fluid intake can impede digestion during eating.

I suggest that you do a message twice daily, when you wake up and when you go to sleep. Do this: rub your stomach in a counter-clockwise manner about 20 times. Both hands together in a large circular motion.

Then, maybe start your day with a glass of warm water with lemon juice. This will help waking up your digestive system and signalling it to start working. Leave some space of time before you start eating solid foods. I do this without fail, and usually add a glass of water with 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar. I find this helps me alot, maybe because i have too much flora and bad intestinal bacteria. Ease your way into a day of food with a smoothie perhaps. If you do not have a lot of yogurt in Korea, maybe look for things with high fiber content such as hulled hemp seeds, psyllium husks, and flax seeds or chia seeds to include in your morning routine. These additions to your diet maybe critical to successful recovery from constipation. I recommend about 30 g of fiber content everyday. It is especially important when you have a high protein diet.

Also, sometimes you need to take digestive enzymes or probiotics to help restore your digestive system to a more healthful state. Depends on your body condition, but I heard that taking both at the same time does no harm. I haven't had to do this specifically, but certainly it's one thing that many people suggest of doing.

I haven't seen evidence of this elsewhere, and little comment on it. For me though, regular and sufficient sleep is a significant factor in keeping me regular, as well as helping with losing weight. This is because your liver and intestines need time at night to work when you are sleeping. If you are awake during the 11pm to 3 AM window, it can have an impact on not only how well your body digests, but how well it detoxifies everyday. So this is very important to me.

Finally, remember to eat enough everyday. Without the necessary food intake, no matter how much you do the other stuff constipation will happen.

SO Good luck, and hope this helps you.
  • Zuznana
    Zuznana Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Sorry it's only a bump as I've had this problem last couple of weeks and am interested to hear suggestion. :smile:
  • cocobeenie
    Options
    Thanks for the great post.. Its certainly a lot to remember but I will see how it works out for me.