How to stay away from the BAD food!!!

Options
OK SERIOUSLY IM HAVING A HARD TIME STAYING AWAY FROM THE SODA AND BAD FOOD. I NEED TO GET MY BUTT IN GEAR HERE. I CRAVE ALL THIS BAD FOOD AND THEN FEEL BAD IMEDIATELY AFTER EATING IT.

I ALSO NEED TO WORK OUT MORE. I GET MOTIVATION DURING THE BEGINNING OF THE WEEK TO GO TO THE GYM AND I DO...BUT THEN AFTER THAT I JUST LOSE IT. SO RIGHT NOW ONE DAY A WEEK ISNT REALLY GOING TO HELP ME LOSE WEIGHT. I NEED TO BE DOING MORE

PLEASE TELL ME HOW YOU STAY AWAY FROM THE BAD FOOD AND HOW YOU GET YOUR SKINNY BUTTS TO WORK OUT....

HHHHEEEELLLLPPPPP!!

Replies

• kuarta
    kuarta Posts: 65
    Options
    Maybe if you can be more mindful before you put that food in your mouth and focus on how awful you would feel if you ate it (we usually focus on how good it tastes!!!). That works for me. hope it helps you too
  • Suzannejl
    Suzannejl Posts: 212
    Options
    for me it started with Lent: I have up sugary drinks. Have had great sucess with substituting Lipton diet green tea citrus. When ever I have a sweet craving, I grab one of those instead.

Now that people have heard I am trying to get into shape, I have been getting calls to go to the gym. So find a work out partner, someone that will meet you at the gym, and be waiting alone if you don't show!
    Once you get started it get's addicting!

Good luck and have fun!
  • resamejia
    resamejia Posts: 16
    Options
    I don't allow the bad stuff in my house. I don't buy it....AT ALL. I skip the BAD isles at the grocery store. Its hard, but the gratification you get while you're eating it doesn't last, you immediately feel bad, you have to remember that it makes you feel bad.
  • NyxDominique
    NyxDominique Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Distractions, Distractions, Distractions....

I am struggling with the same issue. I live in a large city where there is a fast food resturant around every corner. So I could easily stop and grab a "snack" on the way to college, on the way home, on the way to the gym, on the way home, or even just because. You can see I put alot of thought into all the times I want to stop and grab something >.<

Honestly, the only thing I have found that help is to distract myself. On my way home from college I will make phone calls or sing in attempt to not notice the places that I want to stop at.

I also have the problem I use nice resturants as my social outlet. When I call a friend to go out it is normally to go to a resturant where we will want to get a appitizer and entree. While, it is absolutely horrible I am trying to restrict myself to one or the other instead of both. That way I won't feel so bad.

As for motivation going to the gym. I have found you really need to get on a set schedule. Like I am doing it before work. As a result before I go to bed I have already packed my gym bag. That way I can't use the excuse "Well, I don't want to go through the hassle of getting everything together." It also helps be feel more obligated to go. Seeing that I already spent 10 mins putting together the bloody bag I might as well use it.

Just know you are not alone. I am having alot of issues with it as well... Good Luck!
  • B2BB
    B2BB Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    It's easier to not have it on the house. If I don't buy it and bring it in I won't eat it. If I crave something I'm forced to think twice Cus I have to make a trip to the store. And about the workouts, I plan without dates with my friends. I'm not a flake so when I plan something it forces me to get off my *kitten* and go. I am a stay at home mom so I think of my workouts as my time. To just get away for an hour or two and just be selfish and just think of me for just that time. It reality helps me deal with the rest of my day.

So if you have junk food in the house, get it out. And if you want to without make a date.
  • W0zzie
    W0zzie Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    "I don't allow the bad stuff in my house." Agreed - if you are in a family home try to get the others onboard. If they really want crap in the house - then they get "their" own stuff and stow it in their room - not in the kitchen. I don't seem to have a problem if I stick to "out of sight - out of mind"

Oh yeah - working out - "addictive" yes - Once you get going you will wonder what's going on if you stop. I started this whole journey by having a shot at Xbox Kinect - my wife bought me Biggest Loser Ultimate Workout and I haven't lost interest yet. I am now at the stage of if I miss a few days I get edgy and feel like something is wrong - it is "enjoyable" rather than a chore or a "must do"
  • amysambora
    amysambora Posts: 219
    Options
    You may need to rethink your approach to weight loss. You shouldn't feel like you're 'on a diet' and can't eat this, can't eat that. You shouldn't feel like working out is a chore. You have to WANT to make a permanent change to a healthy lifestyle. A healthy lifestyle includes ALL foods - there's no good or bad. If you want a piece of chocolate, have it. Don't tell yourself you can't, it'll only make you want it more. Have a piece, log it in your diary, move on. Make sure your meals are made up of good quality, healthy food that will keep you full, not leave you craving sugar. If you're getting cravings, you may not be eating enough to begin with. As far as exercise goes, start small. Do something you enjoy - if you don't like going to the gym, don't do it. Start walking or jogging, or invest in some fitness DVDs you can do at home. Don't stress yourself over it! You will get there!
  • abrown4348
    abrown4348 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I learned a hard lesson today. I ate bad at dinner - went to town on the chips and salsa. But I made myself come home and log them in my food diary and saw how many calories it was. By the time I got home, it was too late to work out. After I saw the damage staring me in the face, I realized that had it not been for those chips, I could have stayed within my calorie goal for the day.

Seeing those numbers adding up on the food log can be a very good motivator. So next time, log the bad food before you eat it and see how much damage it could do to your goals. On the flip side, log your exercise ahead of time too - and you'll see how much you will burn. That's what I'm going to do now after my "chip incident".
  • woodardbj
    Options
    You just have to plan ahead and not buy the junk food. It's easy to just grab the chips and soda when they're there. I usually substitute soda with V8 Fusion Red Raspberry + Green Tea. It's sweet but has veggies and fruits and it's only 50 cals per can. I go shopping every Sunday and get all my fruits and veggies and healthy snacks for work so I have no excuse for cheating. You just have to push yourself to get to the gym that's half the battle. Just plan ahead and have your workout gear ready when you get home. Don't get distracted just get dressed and get going. When you see the people in the gym working out I usually find that a motivation. When you start seeing the pounds fall off an people start complementing you on ho good you look that's more than enough to get you moving. Good Luck.
  • MissbusyLizzie
    MissbusyLizzie Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I am really busy during the day, and it would be really easy to quickly grab some junk to eat. What I have been doing the last few days is setting up all my food for the next day until I get home for dinner and putting it into my log. That way I know I have a good variety/balance of foods and I am not tempted to stray from what I have already entered on MFP! It takes some extra thought and preparation... but it has helped!!
  • tueurterry
    Options
    This may sound lame but I have a set of smaller clothing I want to fit in my view so i can push myself to workout and make the right choices for the day....as for the cravings like sweets, chips and whatever else is bad I chew gum to get my mind off of it....i dunno kinda eh but it works for me, it may work for you.
  • trasmussen
    Options
    Its actually easier than you think. Stay away from simple carbs (sugar, anything w/ white flour, etc) The simple carbs are what feed food cravings and mood swings.

I eat complex carbs but very few simple carbs. I save the simple carbs (fat free choc milk) for after workouts since thats when my body wants them to help absorb the good stuff in the protein shakes.

Thats my $.02. It has worked for me. Give it a try. I've also heard a pickle can stop a sweet craving.
  • W0zzie
    W0zzie Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    @amysambora - very good point on the diet vs lifestyle. I think a lot of us forget that (me included). I believe I have that ideal but forget that I actually do. What I mean is I still have 1 or 2 vices but I now even them out by working out regularly and moderate better with a "majority" - not all - healthy nutritious food. I think a lot of successful and long time MFPers have the lifestyle mindset.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Don't buy it
  • Ninjitsu
    Ninjitsu Posts: 163
    Options
    That is a tough spot to be in and I'm there with you every day.

The ONLY way I can avoid it is by keeping it out of the house, drive past the fast food drive-thrus, and drink A LOT of extra water (to help myself not get thirsty for the soda).

Good luck dear. If you need another person cheering you on, please feel free to add me :)

-Rain
  • amadae34
    amadae34 Posts: 3
    Options
    For me when it comes to working out, I go every other day. That way I dont burn out. On the days that I dont go to the gym I do sit ups and go for a walk. So far im not seeing much weight loss in pounds but I have dropped one pant size. Last summer I was in a size 10 shorts and a month ago I could not get them button or zipped. As far as the food goes i also get cravings for the sweet stuff. So I try to eat fruit to take the edge off.