Mio Drink Mix

Options
So i'm the type of girl who wants to know what she's ingesting. I have been on the hunt for an alternative to Crystal Light and its Aspartame filled anals for a very long time. They came out with Crystal iIght Pure which is fantastic. It is sweetened with Stevia which is the leaf of a plant. it is natural. However the taste.. well its kinda funky.

So i'm logging my really bad day of food (del taco is the bane of my existance) and I ended up coming across this ad on here for MiO drink mix. its brand new. it touts "WE ARE NOT MADE WITH ASPARTAME!" which is a huge thing for those who are avoiding Saccharin (sweet 'n low), Aspartame (Equal) and Sucrose (Splenda) which all are made with a basis of Chlorine and Formaldehyde. So I take a look at the ingredients:

Water, Citric Acid, Propylene Glycol, Malic Acid, Contains less than 2% of natural flavor, Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium (sweeteners), Potassium Citrate, Polysorbate 60, Red 40, Blue 1, Potassium Sorbate (preservatives)

Product is made from Kraft Products (I got all of this info from their facebook page facebook.com/MiO)

so i started to do some research about the sweeteners. Sucralose is Splenda which is about 1/80th of a step up from aspartame. the chemical content is just that. chemical. there is nothing natural about it. but the other one, I'd never heard about before. I was very curious about what it was and what are its research facts. This is what I found:

Acesulfame K

* Many people do not realize it is included in a food (ingredient list)
* Contains carcinogen methylene chloride which may cause headaches, depression, cancer (and others) in humans

yeah.... I suddenly don't want to even go near the stuff. I have enough health issues to even consider including this as a possible issue spark. Want to know more about your sweeteners?

you can read all about it here: http://blog.firstendurance.com/2008/04/is-sucralose-bad-for-you-are-other-non-nutritive-sweeteners-bad-for-you/

very interesting. and makes me wonder if Stevia is the only natural choice and if that is the case, what is there prep? is Chlorine involved with them too? that'll have to be another post. Anyway... I thought for those who are watching their sugar intake this would be interesting for them. especially if they have trouble taking in non flavored water.

Replies

• gurlysmiles2001
    Options
    wow i had no idea. i have to drink crystal light since plain old water doesn't taste good to me. so crystal light pure is a safe way to go? i recently switched to crystal lite sugar free so i get zero calories. thanks for the info!
  • pdcarrell
    pdcarrell Posts: 101
    Options
    Thanks for the Investigation! My mom and Sister have been raving about this I had a couple glass's the other day! Never again.... :( I got to tell them about this! Thanks so much!
  • Charger440
    Charger440 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    Awe crap and that's the only water flavoring I've found that actually tastes good. Oh well, Im gonna drink it anyways. If it don't kill me something else will.
  • KickassYas
    KickassYas Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    wow i had no idea. i have to drink crystal light since plain old water doesn't taste good to me. so crystal light pure is a safe way to go? i recently switched to crystal lite sugar free so i get zero calories. thanks for the info!

I did switch to Pure which does have a calorie count but its negligible. the 0 calorie one has aspartame in it which is a 2 part mixture of 1 chemical plus formaldehyde filtered through chlorine.
  • pretentiouskate
    Options
    I saw a coupon for this and so checked it out at the grocery store - you're right - too many chemicals. I'll stick to plain old water!

For those of you who really hate the taste of water, have any of you thought about using non caffeinated herbal teas? Brew up a gallon, sweeten with your sweetener of choice (steevia, honey, agave)?