Water weight after having a baby?

Options
I had a baby about 2 and a half months ago and I have about 18lbs to lose before I can get back to my pre-pregnancy weight.

So I have been following MFP for about 4 days now (but I was eating healthier & exercising before I found this website) and I weighed myself today & my scales show no pounds lost! However when i measured myself I have lost 1/2 an inch of my hips, 1 inch off my thighs, 1 inch off my bust and half an inch off my waist... RESULT lol!

So as the scale shows no difference, I know alot of this could be due to starting a new exercise regime etc... But could it also be water weight? I thought about this when I weighed myself for the first time after giving birth as I didn't think I looked like I was 20lbs heavier than I used to be before I was pregnant.

How can you tell if alot of it's water weight? If it is how can you lose it?

Sorry about all the questions, but I'm all new to dieting & losing weight!

All help will be very much appreciated :) Thank you.

Replies

• fitmommy4life
    Options
    Your body has just been through something extremely wonderful but also traumatic. Your hormones are all over the place right now and you're not sleeping like you should be either due to having a baby. You could still have water weight. The best thing to do is drink lots and lots of water to flush it out of your system. Your body is also adjusting to working out and is rebuilding muscle mass that was lost during your pregnancy so thats why the weight isnt coming off but the inches are. You're losing fat but gaining muscle. Be nice to yourself, 18 pounds is not a lot after having a baby!!! :smile: and congrats btw!!

Add me if you'd like some motivation
  • BrownSkinBeauty1990
    BrownSkinBeauty1990 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Your body has just been through something extremely wonderful but also traumatic. Your hormones are all over the place right now and you're not sleeping like you should be either due to having a baby. You could still have water weight. The best thing to do is drink lots and lots of water to flush it out of your system. Your body is also adjusting to working out and is rebuilding muscle mass that was lost during your pregnancy so thats why the weight isnt coming off but the inches are. You're losing fat but gaining muscle. Be nice to yourself, 18 pounds is not a lot after having a baby!!! :smile: and congrats btw!!

Add me if you'd like some motivation

Thank you :)
    Yes I know, everyone tells me I'm to hard on myself & I haven't put on much weight after having a baby. But I feel like if I'm not hard on myself I won't do anything about it & will end up being unhappy with my body. :(
  • Natalie0506
    Natalie0506 Posts: 163
    Options
    Water weight is weight that is lost in a large amount quickly. Generally in the first few weeks of losing weight, you'll lose a larger amount than you would generally expect. Since you're seeing a decrease in your measurements, you're gaining muscle, but losing fat. Muscle weighs more than fat, and that is why the scale isn't moving, but your body is changing.