AGAVE NECTAR - A great alternative to processed sugars and s

Options
AGAVE NECTAR - A great alternative to processed sugars and sugar alternatives

Check out the following website to read about the benefits of Agave Nectar:
http://allaboutagave.com/index.php

One great benefit is:

Avoiding Sugar Shock
The primary sugar in agave nectar is a complex form of fructose, which gives it a much lower glycemic index than honey. Depending on the variety, honey's glycemic index usually falls in the 65-85 range. The glycemic index of agave syrup differs with variety and manufacturer, but usually falls between 11 and 30. This makes it less likely to raise blood sugar or trigger the body's fat storage mechanisms.
:laugh:

I am going to pick some up today and give it a try.

Replies

• bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I've tried it in my oatmeal and it tastes great :) I cook at a nursing home and we use it since we have a lot of diabetics to cook for...great job looking for alternatives...enjoy!
  • sauza
    sauza Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    thank you for the info
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I love agave! It's good in everything, especially oatmeal or tea.
  • Angeladobush
    Angeladobush Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I started using this a few weeks ago, I use it in my coffee, yogurt, tea.......it is really very good and I taste nothing funky like an after taste......Yahoo!!!!!
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I love it - I actually am using a flavoured one right now (Cappucino flavour) in my coffee. It actually makes my coffee better than with sugar - it intensifies the coffee flavours....
  • lnadeau66
    lnadeau66 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Good to know, how is it sold? I have tried it in "skinny girl" margaritas.:wink:
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I love it - I actually am using a flavoured one right now (Cappucino flavour) in my coffee. It actually makes my coffee better than with sugar - it intensifies the coffee flavours....

must have coffee flavored agave!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Love it! I use it daily haha
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    I like agave nectar, that it isn't as sticky as or strong tasting as honey. However you should read the following:

NYU Nutrition, Food Studies, and Public Health Professor and author Marion Nestle breaks it down this way in her Food Politics blog:

" ... agave contains inulin, a polymer of fructose, which must be hydrolyzed (broken down by heat or enzymes) to fructose to make the sweetener. It’s a processed sweetener requiring one hydrolysis step, requiring more processing than honey and less than high fructose corn syrup. It has the same number of calories as any other sugar, about 4 per gram or 16 per teaspoon."

True, agave has a lower glycemic index than table sugar. But that only matters if you're diabetic. Otherwise, for the rest of us, sugar is sugar. And Nestle's advice for dealing with all sweeteners is very old-school and un-fun: Exercise moderation. Well, what did you expect? She's a nutritionist, not your fairy godmother.
  • djthom
    djthom Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I have a raspberry flavored I use in my quinoa, yummy.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    i use it in my oatmeal =)
  • rurukidoo
    rurukidoo Posts: 54
    Options
    It's Brilliant, I bake with it too! Started using it after my partner found out he was diabetic 2 years ago. Amazing stuff! =D
  • obradovichm
    Options
    You know, I just recently started getting into cooking, and Rocco Dispirito uses agave nectar very frequently in his dieting cookbooks and recipes. Doing so, you're able to cut out a LOT of calories and sugar content from your food. He says that even though it has more calories per sugar, because it's sweeter you can use less and it's healthier for you. I just started learning how to cook and haven't used it too much yet, but it seems like a great alternative to chemical "sugars" like Splenda.
  • vickyg1
    vickyg1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options

must have coffee flavored agave!
  • vickyg1
    vickyg1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...not sure what I did but anyways where can you find the agave nectar that is coffee flavoed? Thanks
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...not sure what I did but anyways where can you find the agave nectar that is coffee flavoed? Thanks

Vicky - I'm not sure where you are, but I picked it up at a health food store - they also had irish cream flavoured
  • Msmikamika
    Msmikamika Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercola/agave-this-sweetener-is-f_b_537936.html
    According to this study and Dr. Mercola Agave is just as bad as Sugar.