The answer to cardio before or after weight training

13»

Replies

• AngieMMc
    AngieMMc Posts: 152 Member
    I split my workouts at the gym I start out with strength training 30 -40 minutes including 5 minutes of stretching. I then do my cardio 70 minutes. I finish up with 30 minutes of strength training.

thats an awful long workout there. But whatever works for you.

I totally agree. I don't have 2 1/2 hours a day to spend in the gym.
  • FieryNikkie
    FieryNikkie Posts: 61 Member
    My gym's class timetable dictates whether i do a cardio class before my weights class or vice versa! I have no control over the matter and am just going with the flow!

Same here! Daycare hours also dictate if my running days will be the same days as my weight lifting class days.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    In every weightlifting magazine I've read it was the exact opposite.

Strength train and then run.

If you run first you're going to wear yourself out and not lift as heavy. (I've tried both methods and this is true.)
    Cardio also depletes glycogen which you need for weight training.

It all depends on your goals.
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/training/a/ExerciseOrder.htm

I was getting the same answers everywhere I looked ,but in the end I think like everything else, that may a bit of old school thinking. I mean I still dunno, but look at these athletes today ,especially in the NFL. Built and all they do is run all day everyday..........

Actually, Professional Football is not an aerobic sport so running on a treadmill for an hour a day will not be of any benefit to a professional football player. At no time in a football game does a player do any constant sustained aerobic motion, so why train that way?

How you train depends on your individual goals and purposes for training in the first place.

Case in Point, I'm currently training with an Elite level Coach for hockey goaltending....and there isn't any cardio in the program at all. BUT, I can tell you that I'm toast after each session because of the superset intervals she has be do of multiple exercises with minimal rest. Kills me far more than running on a treadmill would do any day.
  • kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member
    my trainer said to work on what you wanted to work hardest on first. If you are body building or sculpting, go weights first. If you are trying to lose weight ( and yes I do know that building muscle burns calories) do cardio first. It is an individual thing.

This is what I have always thought.Whichever one is your main goal do first so you have your full energy for it.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    I asked my trainer this question just yesterday. What she has me do is 8 minutes of cardio to warm up ad get my heart rate up at the start of my workout. Next, I do the weight machines and free weights. Lastly, I do about another 20-25 minutes of cardio. She said that if you do all your cardio first, it tires you and you're more likely to use bad form during strength training. You're also less likely to do as much weight or reps due to fatigue. She also said you don't get full benefit doing your set on one machine and then going to the next. For example, I'll do 12 reps on the leg press, get off and then do 12 on bicep, get off and do 12 on the adductor, etc and then start the circuit over after doing some stretching. She said that studies show if you do 3 sets of the same thing back to back to back, you aren't reaping the same benefits as the muscle needs to rest in between and you are fresh for a new set and perform the exercise better. Any thoughts on that?

I agree with the first part. I always do a 5-10 minute warmup. Lift. Then run for 20 or so.

But i dont agree with the circuit type training. I dont see any big guys doing this.

Just because the "big guys aren't doing it" doesn't mean it's bad. I used to work in a primarily body building gym and I can tell you that 95% of the "Big Guys" were all "Monkey-see, Monkey do" with no real knowledge or understanding of WHY they were doing anything in particular. Would spend most of my shifts taking away their cheats and showing them how to intensify their training in half the time.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    You can find answers to support either arguement. Bottom line find whats better for you. Personally, I like to have more energy for weights and cardio second so I lift first and do cardio second. I personally find cardio to be more draining on my CNS, but thats just me everybody is different and recovers differently.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Cardio is EXTREMELY important in losing weight but can hurt those that want to bulk up so the correct answer is......

Don't know if that was a statement or something else but it couldn't be farther from the truth.
  • JNick77
    I asked my trainer this question just yesterday. What she has me do is 8 minutes of cardio to warm up ad get my heart rate up at the start of my workout. Next, I do the weight machines and free weights. Lastly, I do about another 20-25 minutes of cardio. She said that if you do all your cardio first, it tires you and you're more likely to use bad form during strength training. You're also less likely to do as much weight or reps due to fatigue. She also said you don't get full benefit doing your set on one machine and then going to the next. For example, I'll do 12 reps on the leg press, get off and then do 12 on bicep, get off and do 12 on the adductor, etc and then start the circuit over after doing some stretching. She said that studies show if you do 3 sets of the same thing back to back to back, you aren't reaping the same benefits as the muscle needs to rest in between and you are fresh for a new set and perform the exercise better. Any thoughts on that?

I agree with the first part. I always do a 5-10 minute warmup. Lift. Then run for 20 or so.

But i dont agree with the circuit type training. I dont see any big guys doing this.

Just because the "big guys aren't doing it" doesn't mean it's bad. I used to work in a primarily body building gym and I can tell you that 95% of the "Big Guys" were all "Monkey-see, Monkey do" with no real knowledge or understanding of WHY they were doing anything in particular. Would spend most of my shifts taking away their cheats and showing them how to intensify their training in half the time.

Yeah, I hate when people do something just because somebody else in the gym that looks big is doing it. I wish those same people would mimick people not arm curling in the power racks... that would make me happy.

Cardio is definitely a good thing for bodybuilders, powerlifters, and the general person alike and not just for dropping weight/bodyfat. It does help add to your work capacity among other things. Whether it's better to do it first or second I haven't seen anything convincing me to go one way or another; I think the underlying message of cardio is just to DO it.
  • I would prob just switch it up and do it different ever few days. Swich up is always good.
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    I do weight training first. First of all, the muscle building is my priority and I want to give it my all. I'm too tired after intense cardio to lift like I want to. However, I've never had a problem with finding the energy for cardio after weight training... and I'm a cardio freak! Second of all, I can assure you that with the massive amount of sweat I produce in one of those HITT cardio sessions... you really wouldn't want me using any of the weight-training equipment... YUCK!
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Hmmm, I've always heard that you should do weights first. Something about it burns off your carbs first and then you're able to burn more fat when you do cardio...
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Its probably whatever works best for the individual. Even more so I would do whatever you are concentrating on first. If you are looking to lose a lot of weight do cardio first then strength.
  • JNick77
    thank you for this post I've been doing it backwards by advice of the gym owner :(

I had a trainer at the gym I used to work at tell me to do weights/strength training first and then cardio, and was also telling all of his clients the same thing, but I knew what worked for MY body and if I lifted first I wouldn't be able to do nearly as much cardio, but after 30-45 min of intense elliptical I was totally fine to go lift. He was also telling people to do a MINIMUM of an hour of cardio at intense levels, otherwise what they did was useless. Honestly, I don't know how you can say any one particular thing will work for every single person. Isn't a PERSONAL trainer supposed to give you personalized advice?

Absolutely, you have to do what's best for you.And yes, a "GOOD" personal trainer is suppose to give a personalized program. There are some basic principles that remain true across all people but programs should be personalized.
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    I do weight training first. First of all, the muscle building is my priority and I want to give it my all. I'm too tired after intense cardio to lift like I want to. However, I've never had a problem with finding the energy for cardio after weight training... and I'm a cardio freak! Second of all, I can assure you that with the massive amount of sweat I produce in one of those HITT cardio sessions... you really wouldn't want me using any of the weight-training equipment... YUCK!

I am right there with you.
    I seem to always lift better first and still have energy to do cardio. On days I plan on running longer - like 8 miles, I will take a day off from lifting.

I also am drenched after a HITT cardio session so going to any of the weight equipment lol. :)
    I do think whatever works for some people may not work for others.

and it's always a good thing to switch things up every so often with your workout too. spice things up and try new things :) that's what I plan on doing after my race this weekend. :)
  • OneFitMom_
    OneFitMom_ Posts: 151 Member
    I always do strength training first and then cardio. I've tried doing the opposite, but find that I'm too wore out by that point.
  • FitnessChefJime
    FitnessChefJime Posts: 174 Member
    Cardio is EXTREMELY important in losing weight but can hurt those that want to bulk up so the correct answer is......

Don't know if that was a statement or something else but it couldn't be farther from the truth.

It is a statement and just like this topic it is a matter of opinion and cardio helped me along my journey and I wouldn't be where I am without especially in the amount of time I did it in.

By the way Go Mavs!! lol :drinker:
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member

It is a statement and just like this topic it is a matter of opinion and cardio helped me along my journey and I wouldn't be where I am without especially in the amount of time I did it in.

By the way Go Mavs!! lol :drinker:

Just remember you most likely would have ended up in the same place by managing calories via intake vs burning them off via cardio. Don't get me wrong, if you want to eat a certain load of calories and burn them off with cardio, that's fine. But crazy amounts of cardio(not saying you did that) has other problems that come with it.

And yeah, the Mavs showed LeBron and company how to win the games that mean something. And I'm a LeBron fan in Cleveland.

Congrats on dropping the weight. Nice job!
This discussion has been closed.