5 hour energy

Options
I've been diligently plugging along at exercising for well over a month now. A few days ago, I "upped the ante", and started doing two-a-days. At least 30 minutes of moderate cardio in the morning, and some type of cardio/strength training dvd like 30 Day Shred in the afternoon. A few months ago, I bought a case of 5 hour energy at Sam's Club because I was just constantly fatigued (duh...300 pounds and not eating right/exercising will do that to you). Until this morning, they have been sitting abandoned on my shelf. I figured I'd give one a try to see if it impacts my ability to push it on my morning cardio. All I have to say is whoa! I'm usually biking between 11-13 mph for about 30 minutes. This morning, I didn't go below 17 mph for 35 minutes, and I totally could have kept going! The only reason I stopped was because my kids got up. Has anyone else had experience with this?? I think I'm going to keep using it.

Replies

• karilynn27
    karilynn27 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have used them before and they work great, no crash, but the more you use them the less likely they work. I can take one now and not feel a thing.
  • alisons7598
    alisons7598 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid to try it. The last time I had anything like that ( a red bull) I couldn't sleep for 24 hours! My house was never cleaner though, lol.
  • starboardzor
    Options
    I've never relied on caffeine to work out. Mostly just to wake up in the mornings! But if it works for you, I don't see why not... I know there are some health concerns around 5 Hour Energy, but in my opinion it's no different than drinking a cup of coffee. Probably not good to overdo it, just like anything else.
  • beccafertig
    beccafertig Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid to try it. The last time I had anything like that ( a red bull) I couldn't sleep for 24 hours! My house was never cleaner though, lol.

Red Bull really messed me up. I won't go near it. The first time I ever used 5 hour energy was on a long night-time road trip. It was fabulous...no sudden jolt of energy or anything like that. A few minutes after I took it, it felt like the fog lifted and everything was very clear. I was alert, and felt great. That's exactly how I felt this morning too. 5 hour energy doesn't rely on caffeine to give you a boost, it's the b-vitamin complex that does it. I'll probably keep using them from time to time.
  • morawski4
    morawski4 Posts: 17
    Options
    5 hour energy is completely different from red bull, or coffee. It's basically a mega dose of vitamin B (what your body naturally uses to stimulate cognative function, and coincidentally increase metabolism), hence the absence of withdrawal symptoms hours later. On the record, I say food choice alone should be able to give you the same effect, but off the record, there is no harm in taking them. The caffeine that is in them only seves to push the vitamins through your system quicker, so that the effect is more immediate, but you can get the no caffeine ones if that bothers you. The B vitamins are what is giving you the energy.

Hope that helps
  • raven1114
    raven1114 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    i tried the 5 hour energy one before and it did nothing for me. now there is another kind i tried before that i will never take again. can't recall the name of it but i know it when i see it. the bottle has a picture of an eye on it. i took some of that and within 5 minutes it rushed the blood so fast it made my teeth hurt and made me shaky bad.