Les Mills Classes - calorie burn.

Options
I love these classes and think they are great work out but I'm finding it seriously hard to believe some of the calorie burn figures that I've found on the internet - mainly from the Les Mills community message board. None of them are in the exercise database here so I've been adding them myself.

I've found:
Body Pump - 300 - 450 (I log 250)
Body Combat - 400 - 750 (I log 380)
Body Jam - 400 - 600 (I log 300)
Body Step - 400 - 800 (I log 400)
Body Balance - 250 - 380 (I log 280)
Body Attack - 500 - 900 (don't have it at my gym but when I try it elsewhere I will log it at 400)

Does anybody have any opinions or information on the calorie burn figures for these classes? I've logged lower than the minimum on most because a) I don't believe them and b) I'm a small female

Replies

• fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I wear a heart monitor for my classes.

Body Balance is only around 160 calorie burn for me.

Body Pump is around 250.

I haven't tried the other classes yet.
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I take the Les Mills Body Combat class and my HRM indicates that I burn between 650-750 cals in an hour.
  • tjcnc
    tjcnc Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It depends on the intensity you do for the classes. When I did the body pump with my heart rate monitor I was around 300 but I was maxing out on the weight for me that by the last sets I was feeling it. Someone can do lower weights that really are not pushing you and you would get a lower result. Best thing to do is wear a HRM
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM, and I wouldl typically burn about 250 for Balance, 350-450 for Pump and 400-500 for Combat.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    For Body Pump I burn around 200 calories in the hour.

About 350 for an hour of Body Combat.

Haven't tried any others (our gym only offers Combat and Pump), but would love to! :bigsmile:

What is "Body Jam"? :huh:
  • wattsam1
    wattsam1 Posts: 95
    Options
    A Les Mills rep was just at my fitness center earlier this week. This is from their boards:

BodyPump - up to 560 calories
    BodyCombat - up to 545
    BodyBalance/BodyFlow - up to 340
    RPM - up to 620
    BodyAttack - up to 730
    BodyStep - up to 620
    BodyVive - up to 420
    BodyJam - up to 530
    Sh'Bam - up to 400
    CX30 - up to 250
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I have just bought an HRM watch but it was only £7.99 on ebay. I'll try it tonight but I doubt it will be accurate and I can't afford an expensive one. Worth a go though.
  • wattsam1
    wattsam1 Posts: 95
    Options

Haven't tried any others (our gym only offers Combat and Pump), but would love to! :bigsmile:

BodyJam is dance - like a Zumba class.
  • sparklesammy
    sparklesammy Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    i wear my hrm in body combat, and burn about 600 cals in the class. I do work pretty hard in the class though, prob more than the average person does in that class lol : )
  • jellybaby84
    Options
    Oooh Wattsam, thanks! I think what I'm logging does seem to about right for my size and ability according to those. I'm def not going to be at the maximum end.
  • elainio
    elainio Posts: 77
    Options
    I use a polar HRM and attend body combat, body attack and body step at least once each every week. I weigh 153lb and am 5ft 7.7" am 24 years old and have a body fat % of 21.2This is the range of my burn:

Body Attack, 45 mins: 550-600 calories.

Body Combat, 30 mins: 330-400 calories.

Body Step, 50 mins: 560-600 calories.

I try and make every track very high intensity and use all of my energy and strength when kicking, punching, jumping ect. I add in extra high knees during some tracks when I feel like my heart rate isnt up high enough. I think that the burn is really dependant on the effort that you put in and can vary drastically. I have a friend who come some times and hardly even breaks sweat because she isnt putting any energy behind the moves and does the minimum movement required. I drip sweat and have red cheeks after abour 7mins of any of these classes lol. I like to get my calories worth from a workout!

E
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I regularly do Body flow, Combat, Step and Pump. According to my body media I have recently burned:

Combat 427
    Flow around 200 (a little less or more)
    Pump 384 ( seems high but I had done cardio first)
    Step 413

I am 46 and weigh around 160
  • jellybaby84
    Options
    wow, ekainio, that is high - especially for classes that aren't the full hour! I definitely don't work as hard as you though, I wouldn't even consider adding things in!
  • iRun4wine
    Options

BodyJam is dance - like a Zumba class.

Would love to try it!
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    I use a polar HRM and attend body combat, body attack and body step at least once each every week. I weigh 153lb and am 5ft 7.7" am 24 years old and have a body fat % of 21.2This is the range of my burn:

We have almost the same stats- I'm 152, 5 ft 7.5 inches tall and 26 years old. :smile:
  • jellybaby84
    Options
    Kelynn, jam is quite fun. Much better than Zumba imo because it's more varied (one salsa track, one hip hop type track etc)
  • urquetto
    urquetto Posts: 11
    Options
    I burn 650 - 700 calories in one hour of Combat!! And I sweat buckets!! Lovely!!
  • Isa25
    Isa25 Posts: 46
    Options

Body Attack, 45 mins: 550-600 calories.

Body Combat, 30 mins: 330-400 calories.

I try and make every track very high intensity and use all of my energy and strength when kicking, punching, jumping ect. I add in extra high knees during some tracks when I feel like my heart rate isnt up high enough. I think that the burn is really dependant on the effort that you put in and can vary drastically. I have a friend who come some times and hardly even breaks sweat because she isnt putting any energy behind the moves and does the minimum movement required. I drip sweat and have red cheeks after abour 7mins of any of these classes lol. I like to get my calories worth from a workout!

E

My HRM reports similar numbers:

Body Attack, 45 mins: 550-650 calories.

Body Combat, 50 mins: 550-650 calories.

Body Flow, 45 min: 200 calories

Body Pump: 50 min: 250 calories.

RPM, 45 min: 600-700 calories.

I am 25 years old, 5'6", 136 lbs, BF% 22.

I absolutely LOVE these classes and I kick my butt every single time I go. I try to get 2x Pump, 2x Flow, 3x Attack/Step and 3x Combat/RPM each week, plus running.
  • jellybaby84
    Options
    Nooooooo, I used my new HRM watch tonight and it said:

Step (60 mins) 132
    Jam (60 mins) 125

How the hell can that be right?!?!? I worked as hard as the class allowed, adding in advanced options and not stopping in between tracks. I was exhausted and very sweaty after Step and moderately hot and tired after Jam which just isn't as hard.

Hoping that the watch could be wrong?? It was cheap off ebay,
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Sounds way off. I'd put money on the watch being wrong.