How do they do it?

Options
Ok, wondering how the people on Biggest Loser lose weight so fast, besides working out 5-8 hours a day which would kill me and who has time for that? Do they eat back there calories burned or are they on a 1200-1500 calories a day diet? Does anyone know?

Replies

• Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    They have HUGE caloric deficits. I think the women have to burn like 6000 cals a day. So there's absolutely no way that they eat all their exercise cals! I think this would only work for so long though. Def. not a life long way to live
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I'd say that they eat some of it back, or they'd run themselves into the ground within a week or two.
  • bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    First of all I love Biggest Loser. But it's not the real world. They have trainers working with them 24/7, telling them what to eat, drink, and what exercises to do. They exercise 8-10 hours a day, and yes eat those cals back... So do not let this affect you or be jealous. Bc if they could do it themselves they would not be on the show...............
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    there are rumors that its not actually week to week weight loss.... not sure what to believe but I do agree with you, how do they get mostly big numbers...
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Long, hard workouts and probably not enough calories. On one of the earlier shows in this season they showed someone's menu board with calorie goal and it was under 1200 calories for the day.
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Working out that many hours a day is a large part, the amount of calories they consume is never published but it is a lower calorie diet based on their needs, they won't display what the contestants consume because people would assume that's the end all be all and its not the case its really based on the individual person, how much they are working out and their medical conditions.
  • MayaPapaya64
    Options
    If they have such huge deficits, but keep losing weight, do they defy STARVATION MODE?!?!???
  • octopusami
    octopusami Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    somewhere in all of these threads there was someone who posted an article where one of the winners did an interview. She said that the "week" can be longer then 7 days which certainly helps when trying for big numbers. It also helps having a couple trainers kick your butt.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I have no clue, but it would be nice if they explained that on the show (especially at weigh in).

To be honest, its pretty irresponsible for them to show that and give the impression that that's the normal result of hardwork.
  • JulieBoBoo
    JulieBoBoo Posts: 642
    Options
    They do it by putting their health at risk, taking extreme measures that will be impossible to maintain over time in a regular life, seriously dehydrating themselves and putting their bodies at constant risk for serious injury. Not to mention by ignoring the repercussions of rapid weight loss on the psyche, the skin, and the glands all of which aren't given nearly the proper amount of time to adjust and will likely suffer some kind of damage from such extreme measures.

Obviously not a fan.
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    When you are that large, you lose weight very quickly at first. I started out at 185, and I'm only 5'2", so that is pretty large and I lost weight much faster at first than I do now. Of course, what everyone else is saying as well, trainers, hours of working out, and low caloric intakes. I kinda doubt they'd starve the participants, since the show could be sued if something were to happen to one of them. I mean, I'm sure they sign waivers, but still....
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    it does only work for so long if you look towards the end of the show the big numbers drop off and people even plateau take this season for example.
  • sharonuk10
    sharonuk10 Posts: 277
    Options
    Steady and slow wins the race for weight loss in my opinon.
  • crystal10584
    Options
    To be honest, its pretty irresponsible for them to show that and give the impression that that's the normal result of hardwork.

Heck yeah! Anyone could drop the lbs if they had chefs cooking their food, people to shop for them, and trainers who drill your butt into the ground. If I could do NOTHING but focus on it, I could drop it that fast too.

You also have to realize that the more you have to lose, the faster the starting weight falls off.
  • mommymovingmountains
    mommymovingmountains Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Plus most of them gain it back
  • CarolTempleton
    CarolTempleton Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Plus most of them gain it back

Yeah i was gonna say, I've seen several gain it back, probably as quickly as they lost it. Not healthy at all.